Physio for 3 Year Old

Tipper

Hi All,

First post on this forum, so a bit of background. I am from Ireland and my son who is 3 ha CF. He was diagnosed at 3 months.

He has been doing great health wise, he did have Pseudomonas for a year so was on extra nebs but has been clear the last year now which is great.

Currently his Neb/Physio routine consists of

Morning & Evening:Inhaler followed by Saline Nebs for about 20 mins, then Pep Maks for 3 mins followed by jumps on trampoline (repeated 5 times)

I would be very interested to hear from parents in the US or other countries and what physio they do for their 3 year olds?

Would you recommend getting a Vest - they dont offer these in Ireland so quite expensive to get - I would consider buying one in the States if people recommend them?

Our boy has just started pre school so getting time in the morning to fit everything in can be a struggle.

Any advise welcomed.

Thanks
T

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Welcome. Ds whose almost five does the vest twice a day for thirty minutes. He's had since about 9 months. Very happy with it and saves time because he does with xopenex and hyper sal

Tipper

Cheers, yes it sounds like a good option to go with the vest, would have to look into sourcing one, and choosing the right one.
Are they sold through hospitals in the States? Are they easy to purchase?
Are they portable?
I will be in the States for work over next few months so will look into when I get over.

Thanks

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Ours is covered by insurance. The cf center has the pt walk you through options and features etc. it is fully paid for. You might want to do some research ahead of time for pricing etc with delivery in us while you're here and then take back. It is portable and has nice rolling and carrying case...we have smart vest...but frankly still a pain in the butt!

Tipper

cheers thanks for the replies, yeh I will need to do some proper research before deciding anything , I will contact the local CF center before I travel to see if I can meet someone for a chat and what they recommend.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Prior to getting his vest at age 3, we did CPT (Chest Physiotherapy) at least 3 times a day, more if ds had a cough or cold.

Morning routine before school is albuterol/atrovent nebs while doing CPT for half an hour. Sometimes followed by Tobi (inhaled antibiotic). After school the same. Bedtime Albuterol/atrovent nebs with CPT and then a vial of pulmozyme.

Now that he has the vest, we do that for 30 minutes instead of CPT; however, we still focus on certain areas if he has issues and will do mini cpt treatments. His vest broke over Christmas and we had to wait a couple days for a new one to be sent, so we had to solely rely on CPT again. He's also active. He's in gymnastics, his daycare in the summer has them walking and participating in swimming and other sports all day long. Afterschool he plays outside for an hour or so at daycare.

ForeverDance

I'm in Canada and they really don't recommend the vest here.
My dd is 2.5 now and we do CPT twice a day(more if she's sick). She will transition to PEP when she is ready (15-30 mins I believe). We have been told by our clinic that both CPT and PEP show similar results and both are better than the vest.

D

Dhobs

I would be very interested to hear from parents in the US or other countries and what physio they do for their 3 year olds?
I have a 7 year old daughter, diagnosed DDF508 at birth. At age 3 we did the acapella and CPT.

Would you recommend getting a Vest - they dont offer these in Ireland so quite expensive to get - I would consider buying one in the States if people recommend them?
We didn't get the vest until she turned 5. We honestly don't use it unless she's sick or having more persistent coughs. We were told it's up to us which we choose to use at this point. We hook the acapella up to her dornase neb so she can do them at the same time.

She did complain that it felt weird/made her sick to do the vest and her nebs at the same time, so doing them separately would add MORE time to our crammed morning schedule. She does tolerate the acapella at the same time as nebs without issue.

I know our insurance covered the vest after our deductible was met...I want to say it was in the range of $7k USD before insurange but don't quote me on that.

Mallika

Am mother of 3 yr old with DDf508 from India. Doctor here suggested a vest and we are sourcing one from hill rom India . We here do not get dornase alfa so I guess vest is a good buy in a situation as this. Till now we regularly did postural drainage 1-3 times a day depending on his cough. Getting vest 105 model new one for approximately 1800$ Converted in Indian rupees