Pic lines

LMG453

<P>I'm wondering why some people have pic lines? Is it because oral antibiotics stopped working? Or does a pic line fight infections better than oral antibiotics?</P>
<P> </P>

LMG453

<P>I'm wondering why some people have pic lines? Is it because oral antibiotics stopped working? Or does a pic line fight infections better than oral antibiotics?</P>
<P></P>

LMG453

<P><BR>I'm wondering why some people have pic lines? Is it because oral antibiotics stopped working? Or does a pic line fight infections better than oral antibiotics?</P>
<P></P>

Jana

My first picc line was because oral antibiotics just weren't taking care of the problem at that point. However, for a while I was still sometimes able to use them. We would try oral antibiotics first. If they didn't work, I would do IVs with a picc line. Actually, cipro or levaquin still worked for me at times, but I had to quit taking them because they were causing me too many issues. That left me no oral choices for PA, so now I do IVs any time it needs to be treated. However, I still usually take oral Zyvox for MRSA.

A couple of years ago I got a port, and that makes IVs much easier.

Jana

My first picc line was because oral antibiotics just weren't taking care of the problem at that point. However, for a while I was still sometimes able to use them. We would try oral antibiotics first. If they didn't work, I would do IVs with a picc line. Actually, cipro or levaquin still worked for me at times, but I had to quit taking them because they were causing me too many issues. That left me no oral choices for PA, so now I do IVs any time it needs to be treated. However, I still usually take oral Zyvox for MRSA.

A couple of years ago I got a port, and that makes IVs much easier.

Jana

<br />
<br />A couple of years ago I got a port, and that makes IVs much easier.

azdesertrat

I always got a picc when I was in for an extended hospital stay.
As you probably know, IV's need to be changed every 3-4 days to prevent infection & having the site 'go bad'. With a picc there is no need to undergo an IV change 2-3 times a week.
When you're stuck in 'the joint' for an extended period of time that is VERY important. It's just a whole lot more comfortable.
Also, when a person is released from the hospital but still needs IV antibiotics the picc is the only way to go.
Hope this helps...

azdesertrat

As you probably know, IV's need to be changed every 3-4 days to prevent infection & having the site 'go bad'. With a picc there is no need to undergo an IV change 2-3 times a week.
When you're stuck in 'the joint' for an extended period of time that is VERY important. It's just a whole lot more comfortable.
Also, when a person is released from the hospital but still needs IV antibiotics the picc is the only way to go.
Hope this helps...

azdesertrat

<br />As you probably know, IV's need to be changed every 3-4 days to prevent infection & having the site 'go bad'. With a picc there is no need to undergo an IV change 2-3 times a week.
<br />When you're stuck in 'the joint' for an extended period of time that is VERY important. It's just a whole lot more comfortable.
<br />Also, when a person is released from the hospital but still needs IV antibiotics the picc is the only way to go.
<br />Hope this helps...

Kristen

Both. And some antibiotics aren't available in oral form.

I had to get my first PICC last spring because I got an exacerbation and my doctor treated me with oral antibiotics for Staph for two weeks (that was what I had been culturing). And I didn't get any better because it turned out I had PA and was on the wrong antibiotics. After the two weeks on orals for Staph, I went to see him and provided a culture on a Friday, and my doctor put me on Cipro just in case it was PA. And I started feeling a little better over the weekend. But, he decided to give me a PICC anyway because I had been sick for so long and my lung function had dropped 20%. In my case, it was because IV antibiotics were stronger than orals. I felt better in five days.

Kristen

I had to get my first PICC last spring because I got an exacerbation and my doctor treated me with oral antibiotics for Staph for two weeks (that was what I had been culturing). And I didn't get any better because it turned out I had PA and was on the wrong antibiotics. After the two weeks on orals for Staph, I went to see him and provided a culture on a Friday, and my doctor put me on Cipro just in case it was PA. And I started feeling a little better over the weekend. But, he decided to give me a PICC anyway because I had been sick for so long and my lung function had dropped 20%. In my case, it was because IV antibiotics were stronger than orals. I felt better in five days.

Kristen

<br />
<br />I had to get my first PICC last spring because I got an exacerbation and my doctor treated me with oral antibiotics for Staph for two weeks (that was what I had been culturing). And I didn't get any better because it turned out I had PA and was on the wrong antibiotics. After the two weeks on orals for Staph, I went to see him and provided a culture on a Friday, and my doctor put me on Cipro just in case it was PA. And I started feeling a little better over the weekend. But, he decided to give me a PICC anyway because I had been sick for so long and my lung function had dropped 20%. In my case, it was because IV antibiotics were stronger than orals. I felt better in five days.

Havoc

IV antibiotics work better than orals. Peripheral IV's need to be changed every few days, and the strong IV antibiotics can damage the vein causing an infiltrate. PICC lines don't suffer this as they are placed in an sterile environment and kept that way. They are are placed in of the largest (and thickest) vessels in the body that can tolerate strong antibiotics without the risk of infiltration.

Havoc

IV antibiotics work better than orals. Peripheral IV's need to be changed every few days, and the strong IV antibiotics can damage the vein causing an infiltrate. PICC lines don't suffer this as they are placed in an sterile environment and kept that way. They are are placed in of the largest (and thickest) vessels in the body that can tolerate strong antibiotics without the risk of infiltration.

Havoc

S

stephen

Jonathan is correct about the benefits of the PICC Line.

Also, I've had Peripheral, Midline, and PICC IVs. I was apprehensive about getting the PICC and resisted it, in favor of the other two. Once I got the PICC, that's the only way I would like to go in the future. It took less than 10 minutes to "install" and was not uncomfortable at all.

Be well.
Stephen, 69 years old with CF

S

stephen

Jonathan is correct about the benefits of the PICC Line.

Also, I've had Peripheral, Midline, and PICC IVs. I was apprehensive about getting the PICC and resisted it, in favor of the other two. Once I got the PICC, that's the only way I would like to go in the future. It took less than 10 minutes to "install" and was not uncomfortable at all.

Be well.
Stephen, 69 years old with CF