PICC Cover Issues-- Very complex

bloggymom

A few days into my hospitalization I discovered I was allergic to the mesh PICC covers. My arm got all red and insanely itchy. It even burns in spots on my arm when I try to wear it. I have a super long extension on my PICC so that I can access it. We have tried all sorts of homemade covers. Nothing works yet. We have tried cutting arms off of long sleeved shirts and the tubing comes out the end of the shirt. The cut off sleeve slide down my arm. We tried making a sock tubes. The last sock tube I tried was too tight (made my fingers tingle). I don't want to cover the entire arm just where the tubing comes out the bandage and the extension tubing.

The home health nurse wanted us to wrap the extension tubing around my arm to secure it but it was bending the line where it comes out of the bandage. I don't wnt to bend the tubing for fear of ruining it and having to get a new one. The extension dangles all the way to my hand. I have tried taping to my arm but the fabric tape comes off.

So incredibly frustrated. I don't have any extra cash to go out and buy one of those fancy PICC covers.

Anyone else allergic to those mesh covers?? It almost feels like a chemical burn when I try to wear one.

What size socks to you buy if you use it as a PICC cover??

S

semperfiohana

I use a bandage thing. Over in the bandaid section in walmart there is a wrap that looks like the stuff they use for a cast (that's the best way I can describe it). It sticks to itself. I use it to not only cover my picc (because it seems to draw more attention unwrapped), but to also secure my extension. There are two different sizes of the stuff. It's tan in color, although I did see I think 3 colored ones when I went and bought some almost two weeks ago. If you know anyone that gives blood...the stuff they use to wrap their arm up afterwards to apply pressure and keep the bandaid and guaze on...that's the stuff I'm talking about. Hopefully that helps and doesn't confuse you.

S

semperfiohana

I'll add the last picc I did have a chemical burn, but it was underneath my actual dressing. I was allergic to something.

specialk

I always used my old socks and cut the toe out. Make sure they're loose or stretched out some because squeezing your arm with it is not a good idea. I also tried cutting a piece of leggings to fit over it. That works pretty well too. It's all about what's most comfortable to you.

JennyCoulon

For our son when he had his first Picc line we got an ace bandage that I believe was for the elbow and he kept it on all the time without trouble. It was white and it was thicker so it was protected well.

Jana

With my first couple of PICC lines, I tried all kinds of covers as well. What worked best for me in the end was a stretched out sock with the toe cut out. I couldn't stand to have anything tight against it, so nothing else would work. It was either too tight to be comfortable, or the line fell right out of it.

Eventually, I went to just leaving my PICC lines uncovered (other than the dressing, of course). I learned it wasn't necessary for the extension to reach my hand in order to use it myself. I would keep it just long enough where I could bend the arm it was in, grab the end with the other hand, and place it in my fingers. I could hold on to it enough that way to stabilize it while the other hand did the work.

It was so much more comfortable that way that I stopped caring if people saw it or commented on it. Oddly, sometimes people I didn't even know asked me about it, so if that would upset you, you might not want to go that route.

I hope you can find something that is comfortable for you.

CyrilCrodius

View attachment 184

In this picture, you can't see it, but there is a Flolink valve tucked inside the mesh, which is folded on itself. You can do the same with a sock.

By taping the tubing upward this way, I didn't have to wear a mesh most of the time. I would let the whole thing dangle down or wear the tubing around my neck so it didn't get in the way. I would only wear a mesh to keep the Flolinks in place when I went to school and I would wear it similar to pictured above, instead of wearing it over the PICC. I wouldn't cover the PICC either unless it had blood or looked otherwise nasty. Then I would cover it because some people can really feel uncomfortable seeing blood or things that reminds them of blood. Wearing a hoodie or a long sleeved shirt also works very well to handle the tubes and Flolinks.

If you use a sock or a mesh and have trouble with the tubes getting out, pull whatever part you can through a hole (as you can see, I pulled the clamp through the mesh in this pic) and it won't fall out. I usually pull the tip of the Flolink valves through the upper layer of mesh. It's much less bulky than trying to tuck everything in and it never fall out.
When I needed to access the Flolink, I would only have to take off the mesh. It's definitely my favorite way of handling a bunch of Flolinks if I decide not to just let them dangle out. Too bad I don't have a picture of that. You can do the same thing with a sock.

You can also wear the mesh/sock only around the tubing that goes to the pumps and let the Flolinks dangle out, as I did in this pic (except I didn't have the mesh around my arm at that time).

View attachment 185

There are just so many ways you can wear it. You could get pretty leg warmers from the store. They usually come with a string that you can tighten around your calves. It would work great with a PICC. Be inventive!

Just like Jana, I find useless to have an insanely long extension, as you can see from the pictures. She is right, you just need long enough to be able to hold it with your arm folded while doing the work with the other.

I never thought those pictures would be useful someday!