PICC Line

lexisangels05

My daugher, Lexi, will be going in this summer for a tune up. This will be our first one since discharged after birth and diagnosis. She will be getting a picc line. How well do young children do with this? Can they play, swim, ect.?

Thanks,
Melissa

lexisangels05

My daugher, Lexi, will be going in this summer for a tune up. This will be our first one since discharged after birth and diagnosis. She will be getting a picc line. How well do young children do with this? Can they play, swim, ect.?

Thanks,
Melissa

lexisangels05

Thanks,
Melissa

lexisangels05

Thanks,
Melissa

lexisangels05

<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />Melissa

zoe4life

Melissa,
Hi! Well, that is great news that you daughter is having her first hospitalization since diagnosis! How old is she?
First of all, no, she will not be able to swim. When she takes a shower/bath, you will need to wrap her arm over the picc to make sure no water gets in. When we are in the hospital, we ask for some extra of the orange and clear Biohazard bags, you cut the closed end off, slip their arm in, then tape around the openings.
As far as playing, yes, they can play, but you do have to be careful of it 'accidently' getting pulled out. We cut off the end of a really soft sock and slip that over Zoe's arm to cover the entire picc area, that really helps a lot.
Good luck with her tune-up!

zoe4life

Melissa,
Hi! Well, that is great news that you daughter is having her first hospitalization since diagnosis! How old is she?
First of all, no, she will not be able to swim. When she takes a shower/bath, you will need to wrap her arm over the picc to make sure no water gets in. When we are in the hospital, we ask for some extra of the orange and clear Biohazard bags, you cut the closed end off, slip their arm in, then tape around the openings.
As far as playing, yes, they can play, but you do have to be careful of it 'accidently' getting pulled out. We cut off the end of a really soft sock and slip that over Zoe's arm to cover the entire picc area, that really helps a lot.

zoe4life

Melissa,

zoe4life

Melissa,

zoe4life

Melissa,
<br />Hi! Well, that is great news that you daughter is having her first hospitalization since diagnosis! How old is she?
<br />First of all, no, she will not be able to swim. When she takes a shower/bath, you will need to wrap her arm over the picc to make sure no water gets in. When we are in the hospital, we ask for some extra of the orange and clear Biohazard bags, you cut the closed end off, slip their arm in, then tape around the openings.
<br />As far as playing, yes, they can play, but you do have to be careful of it 'accidently' getting pulled out. We cut off the end of a really soft sock and slip that over Zoe's arm to cover the entire picc area, that really helps a lot.
<br />Good luck with her tune-up!
<br />

Asexyblond23

I had picc lines when I was little, it was so much nicer then having a heplock. You can use your hands and your arms and you actually feel free! Im not sure how old she is but you will have to watch just like any other iv that she doesnt pull on it. As far as bathing and stuff its much nicer you can just wrap it in scran-wrap and have her hold her arm over her head and give her a bath. They do make a special watersleeve I saw a post on here but I have a port now so I didnt save it. I think you will be much happier with a picc line for her!!

Asexyblond23

I had picc lines when I was little, it was so much nicer then having a heplock. You can use your hands and your arms and you actually feel free! Im not sure how old she is but you will have to watch just like any other iv that she doesnt pull on it. As far as bathing and stuff its much nicer you can just wrap it in scran-wrap and have her hold her arm over her head and give her a bath. They do make a special watersleeve I saw a post on here but I have a port now so I didnt save it. I think you will be much happier with a picc line for her!!

Asexyblond23

Asexyblond23

Asexyblond23