PICC Lines....HELP!

kbsonner

Well 3 weeks today in the hospital and still counting... One of the hurry up and wait deals... 7-10 days...1 more week...get you out tomorrow...maybe next week...UGH! We were hopeing to not have to bring the PICC line home but now they put me down for the PICC class on Monday! The nurse says I'll get called sooner she thinks but.. I know I can deal with it but I hate to have to. It makes me nervous, the care and just him playing and what not. We went through this last year. I did the class and then ended up not having to take it home. We are hoping the same will happen but I'm not holding my breath since he needs some heavey duty antibiotics for the NTB bug he has. How do any of you parents deal with your active kid and trying to have a normal summer but dealing with a PICC? He was going to a day camp but that's going to be canceled and our 1 family vacation has to be canceled or changed since it is spent on a lake which he can't go in now. I don't mean to ramble but I am so fustrated and at my wits end. Any information you have would be awsome! Kelly

kbsonner

Well 3 weeks today in the hospital and still counting... One of the hurry up and wait deals... 7-10 days...1 more week...get you out tomorrow...maybe next week...UGH! We were hopeing to not have to bring the PICC line home but now they put me down for the PICC class on Monday! The nurse says I'll get called sooner she thinks but.. I know I can deal with it but I hate to have to. It makes me nervous, the care and just him playing and what not. We went through this last year. I did the class and then ended up not having to take it home. We are hoping the same will happen but I'm not holding my breath since he needs some heavey duty antibiotics for the NTB bug he has. How do any of you parents deal with your active kid and trying to have a normal summer but dealing with a PICC? He was going to a day camp but that's going to be canceled and our 1 family vacation has to be canceled or changed since it is spent on a lake which he can't go in now. I don't mean to ramble but I am so fustrated and at my wits end. Any information you have would be awsome! Kelly

kbsonner

kbsonner

kbsonner

Transplantmommy

I really don't think that you would have to cancel anything!! They put tagaderm over the PICC site normally and it pretty much stays in place unless you pull on it (ouch).

I went to Hershey Park with a PICC line in and went on whatever rides I wanted to (except for water of course). I had no problems with it staying in place....it was fine. The only things that I did do to reassure that it would be fine and people wouldn't see this ugly site where the PICC actually went in, is I put an ace bandage over it. No one knew the difference!!

I hope that you can figure something out if he does have to come home with it. I personally hated the PICC and got a port so that I didn't have to worry about it. It was much better!!

Transplantmommy

I really don't think that you would have to cancel anything!! They put tagaderm over the PICC site normally and it pretty much stays in place unless you pull on it (ouch).

I went to Hershey Park with a PICC line in and went on whatever rides I wanted to (except for water of course). I had no problems with it staying in place....it was fine. The only things that I did do to reassure that it would be fine and people wouldn't see this ugly site where the PICC actually went in, is I put an ace bandage over it. No one knew the difference!!

I hope that you can figure something out if he does have to come home with it. I personally hated the PICC and got a port so that I didn't have to worry about it. It was much better!!

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />I went to Hershey Park with a PICC line in and went on whatever rides I wanted to (except for water of course). I had no problems with it staying in place....it was fine. The only things that I did do to reassure that it would be fine and people wouldn't see this ugly site where the PICC actually went in, is I put an ace bandage over it. No one knew the difference!!
<br />
<br />I hope that you can figure something out if he does have to come home with it. I personally hated the PICC and got a port so that I didn't have to worry about it. It was much better!!

folione

My 5-year old would take a picc line for at-home IVs over the hospital any day. It takes a bit of extra care while playing but at least he can play at home and outside instead of watching it go by from the hospital window.

The only stressful part is the dressing change & blood draws to check levels, which scare the boy & make me anxious until we see if the homecare nurse is a good one with kids or not....

folione

My 5-year old would take a picc line for at-home IVs over the hospital any day. It takes a bit of extra care while playing but at least he can play at home and outside instead of watching it go by from the hospital window.

The only stressful part is the dressing change & blood draws to check levels, which scare the boy & make me anxious until we see if the homecare nurse is a good one with kids or not....

folione

folione

folione

<br />
<br />The only stressful part is the dressing change & blood draws to check levels, which scare the boy & make me anxious until we see if the homecare nurse is a good one with kids or not....

kbsonner

Well we have had some plan changes since I posted just a bit ago. The CT scan we had this morning is worse then the one we had 2 weeks ago! They are going to change the drugs he is on now to a set that has worked with adults and add hypertonic sailene to his nebs to see if that helps. If the new drugs work we can go home on all oral! Were still here till next week sometime now though. Begin week #4....

kbsonner

Well we have had some plan changes since I posted just a bit ago. The CT scan we had this morning is worse then the one we had 2 weeks ago! They are going to change the drugs he is on now to a set that has worked with adults and add hypertonic sailene to his nebs to see if that helps. If the new drugs work we can go home on all oral! Were still here till next week sometime now though. Begin week #4....

kbsonner

kbsonner

kbsonner