PICC problems?

sue35

Hi all-

I currently am at the end of a three week IV course with Meropenum and Collistin. The first week was great and I improved my lung function and all was good.

This last week I have gotten rather short of breath. My PFTs went down. I am extremely tired and have this weird lung pain. It seems like my lungs are sore, not the usual lung pain we all experience.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I am wondering if this is something I should go to the ER about? I REALLY don't want to do that.

sue35

Hi all-

I currently am at the end of a three week IV course with Meropenum and Collistin. The first week was great and I improved my lung function and all was good.

This last week I have gotten rather short of breath. My PFTs went down. I am extremely tired and have this weird lung pain. It seems like my lungs are sore, not the usual lung pain we all experience.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I am wondering if this is something I should go to the ER about? I REALLY don't want to do that.

sue35

Hi all-
<br />
<br />I currently am at the end of a three week IV course with Meropenum and Collistin. The first week was great and I improved my lung function and all was good.
<br />
<br />This last week I have gotten rather short of breath. My PFTs went down. I am extremely tired and have this weird lung pain. It seems like my lungs are sore, not the usual lung pain we all experience.
<br />
<br />Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I am wondering if this is something I should go to the ER about? I REALLY don't want to do that.

mag6125

You might want to have a chest x-ray to rule out collapsed lung. Chest pain, shortness of breath and drop in pfts can all be caused by that.

mag6125

You might want to have a chest x-ray to rule out collapsed lung. Chest pain, shortness of breath and drop in pfts can all be caused by that.

mag6125

sue35

I thought about a collapsed lung but it isn't a severe pain and it is on both sides. That wouldn't be a collapsed lung would it?

sue35

I thought about a collapsed lung but it isn't a severe pain and it is on both sides. That wouldn't be a collapsed lung would it?

sue35

mag6125

I had a collapsed lung a couple of years ago and the only symptom I had was my heart started racing when I walked too far. I didn't have shortness of breath or pain and I walked around like that for over a week before we figured out what it was. When it finally did hurt my chest and back hurt on the opposite side of the collapse so I'm not sure. If it's been going on for a while you should call your doc, even call the cf doc on call and see what they suggest.

mag6125

I had a collapsed lung a couple of years ago and the only symptom I had was my heart started racing when I walked too far. I didn't have shortness of breath or pain and I walked around like that for over a week before we figured out what it was. When it finally did hurt my chest and back hurt on the opposite side of the collapse so I'm not sure. If it's been going on for a while you should call your doc, even call the cf doc on call and see what they suggest.

mag6125

nu65

I think what you have is pleurisy or pleuritic pain. Where your lungs rub up against the pleural sac that contains them. As my PFTS got lower I had more and more of this pain. Motrin IB helped with the pain but it always seemed to be there, on both sides like you say.

nu65

I think what you have is pleurisy or pleuritic pain. Where your lungs rub up against the pleural sac that contains them. As my PFTS got lower I had more and more of this pain. Motrin IB helped with the pain but it always seemed to be there, on both sides like you say.

nu65

mamaScarlett

Its likely that its not a major collapsed lung, but it could be a small one, or some other complication. I've found that cfers can sometimes present problems in very different ways. I've had 3 emergency situations, all with strange pain-once my appendix was so inflamed about to burst, and they caught it in time; once with pain from a kidney that was so badly inflammed it was shutting down, and once with gallbladder problems.
The thing is, I hemmed and hawed each time about not going to the hospital bc the pain really wasn't <i>that</i> bad. But each time, it was good that I did go bc the problem could have been much worse if I ran away from it.
I think I have a high pain tolerance, and that lots of Cfers probably do too.
Point-your pain could be nothing but a cold, but its likely that something is going on. Small collapse, pneumonia, return of the infection, anything. Just get it checked out with an xray.

mamaScarlett

Its likely that its not a major collapsed lung, but it could be a small one, or some other complication. I've found that cfers can sometimes present problems in very different ways. I've had 3 emergency situations, all with strange pain-once my appendix was so inflamed about to burst, and they caught it in time; once with pain from a kidney that was so badly inflammed it was shutting down, and once with gallbladder problems.
The thing is, I hemmed and hawed each time about not going to the hospital bc the pain really wasn't <i>that</i> bad. But each time, it was good that I did go bc the problem could have been much worse if I ran away from it.
I think I have a high pain tolerance, and that lots of Cfers probably do too.
Point-your pain could be nothing but a cold, but its likely that something is going on. Small collapse, pneumonia, return of the infection, anything. Just get it checked out with an xray.

mamaScarlett

<br />The thing is, I hemmed and hawed each time about not going to the hospital bc the pain really wasn't <i>that</i> bad. But each time, it was good that I did go bc the problem could have been much worse if I ran away from it.
<br />I think I have a high pain tolerance, and that lots of Cfers probably do too.
<br />Point-your pain could be nothing but a cold, but its likely that something is going on. Small collapse, pneumonia, return of the infection, anything. Just get it checked out with an xray.