PKU

MaineNature

I'm confused as to what test my granddaughter had. It was referred to as a Newborn Screening, which is when the CF possibility was raised.

Then I kept hearing "the PKU test". From what I've read, the phenylketonuria (PKU) test is done to check whether a newborn baby has the enzyme needed to use phenylalanine in his or her body.

What, if anything, does this have to do with CF?

Thanks,
Grammie Sue

MaineNature

I'm confused as to what test my granddaughter had. It was referred to as a Newborn Screening, which is when the CF possibility was raised.

Then I kept hearing "the PKU test". From what I've read, the phenylketonuria (PKU) test is done to check whether a newborn baby has the enzyme needed to use phenylalanine in his or her body.

Thanks,
Grammie Sue

MaineNature

Thanks,
Grammie Sue

MaineNature

Thanks,
Grammie Sue

MaineNature

<br />
<br />Then I kept hearing "the PKU test". From what I've read, the phenylketonuria (PKU) test is done to check whether a newborn baby has the enzyme needed to use phenylalanine in his or her body.
<br />
<br />What, if anything, does this have to do with CF?
<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />Grammie Sue

kitomd21

It has nothing to do with CF...it's just one of the tests (or conditions tested) included in newborn screening.

kitomd21

It has nothing to do with CF...it's just one of the tests (or conditions tested) included in newborn screening.

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

D

domsmom

some "older" pediatricians refer to the whole group of newborn screening as the PKU test. I know my current 1 does as did my former pediatrician.

D

domsmom

some "older" pediatricians refer to the whole group of newborn screening as the PKU test. I know my current 1 does as did my former pediatrician.

D

domsmom

D

domsmom

D

domsmom

ctalbott0609

Paige was diagnosed by PKU. Most states just recently made it mandatory (As in the last 3 years) to test for Cystic Fibrosis when the "Heel Stick" or "PKU" test is done. The PKU is really just a cluster of tests. It USED to refer to just a one or a few tests, but now, it encompass screenings for MANY tests. Our pediatrician told us that the Cystic Fibrosis portion of the PKU is just a SCREENER, it IS NOT an official diagnoses, it is just a red flag that an official test should be ran, because it noticed a spike in the Chloride level.

I hope this helps!!! Message me if you need any further help!!
Chelsea

ctalbott0609

Paige was diagnosed by PKU. Most states just recently made it mandatory (As in the last 3 years) to test for Cystic Fibrosis when the "Heel Stick" or "PKU" test is done. The PKU is really just a cluster of tests. It USED to refer to just a one or a few tests, but now, it encompass screenings for MANY tests. Our pediatrician told us that the Cystic Fibrosis portion of the PKU is just a SCREENER, it IS NOT an official diagnoses, it is just a red flag that an official test should be ran, because it noticed a spike in the Chloride level.

Chelsea

ctalbott0609

Chelsea

ctalbott0609

Chelsea

ctalbott0609

<br />
<br />I hope this helps!!! Message me if you need any further help!!
<br />Chelsea