Please help me, im losing it

Buckeye

You might want to take a look at this older post where a father is questioning the newborn screening <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=902&threadid=33863&enterthread=y">HERE</a>. He gives some insight into the screening test. There is an IRT level that the Pediatrician should be able to tell you tomorrow and I'm thinking maybe that is why they said "low risk postive". Other than that I don't really have any insight into the newborn screening or how it works, that is a relatively new thing they are doing and my son is 9 years old.

Buckeye

You might want to take a look at this older post where a father is questioning the newborn screening <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=902&threadid=33863&enterthread=y">HERE</a>. He gives some insight into the screening test. There is an IRT level that the Pediatrician should be able to tell you tomorrow and I'm thinking maybe that is why they said "low risk postive". Other than that I don't really have any insight into the newborn screening or how it works, that is a relatively new thing they are doing and my son is 9 years old.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

Nightwriter

Oh Melissa,

You are driving yourself insane BEFORE you have all the facts about your beautiful new baby. I don't know what the outcome is going to be, but did you know that 1 in about every 28 people carry one gene for cystic fibrosis? Do they test all newborns these days?

And just in case in the unlikely event that she does have it, you would have UNWITTINGLY passed something on to your child. That is not your fault. I don't think there is one person on this site that blames their parents for having C.F. If anything we love and appreciate our parents for how much they help us, doing more than anyone, and always with love. We all have inherited faulty genes of all kinds from our parents. And they inherited some faulty genes from their parents. You didn't do anything that you should be blamed for.

Try not to make yourself crazy until you find out more.

And I want to congratulate you on the birth of your baby.

Nightwriter

Oh Melissa,

You are driving yourself insane BEFORE you have all the facts about your beautiful new baby. I don't know what the outcome is going to be, but did you know that 1 in about every 28 people carry one gene for cystic fibrosis? Do they test all newborns these days?

And just in case in the unlikely event that she does have it, you would have UNWITTINGLY passed something on to your child. That is not your fault. I don't think there is one person on this site that blames their parents for having C.F. If anything we love and appreciate our parents for how much they help us, doing more than anyone, and always with love. We all have inherited faulty genes of all kinds from our parents. And they inherited some faulty genes from their parents. You didn't do anything that you should be blamed for.

Nightwriter

Oh Melissa,

Nightwriter

Oh Melissa,

Nightwriter

Oh Melissa,
<br />
<br />You are driving yourself insane BEFORE you have all the facts about your beautiful new baby. I don't know what the outcome is going to be, but did you know that 1 in about every 28 people carry one gene for cystic fibrosis? Do they test all newborns these days?
<br />
<br />And just in case in the unlikely event that she does have it, you would have UNWITTINGLY passed something on to your child. That is not your fault. I don't think there is one person on this site that blames their parents for having C.F. If anything we love and appreciate our parents for how much they help us, doing more than anyone, and always with love. We all have inherited faulty genes of all kinds from our parents. And they inherited some faulty genes from their parents. You didn't do anything that you should be blamed for.
<br />
<br />Try not to make yourself crazy until you find out more.
<br />
<br />And I want to congratulate you on the birth of your baby.

M

Mommafirst

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>melissa81</b></i>

Mommafirst-

did you children that are carriers show ositive fr just one gene on the newborn screen test?

does this definitely mean she is a carrier? or is there a chance she can be trly negatove for both?

i dont know how i am going to make it til wednesday...</end quote></div>

The newborn screen didn't exist when my boys were born, but based on what I know about genetics, they wouldn't have tripped the screen. The mutation they carry is a very rare mutation that is often not associated with many of the most severe symptoms. My daughter has that one and a more severe mutation so we really have no idea how the two will combine.

I know you are overwhelmed. We have all been there in one way or another, all had CF testing done and all had positive confirmations. I know its hard time, but hang in there . . . even IF the test is positive for CF, life will go on. My daughter is 2.5 now. She is perfectly normal, you couldn't look at her and know she has CF. And while our life is more complex and she is a bit more fragile than others, she is a smart, vivacious, silly, beautiful, stinker of a toddler. There is no such thing as normal, everyone has their thing.

M

Mommafirst

Mommafirst-

did you children that are carriers show ositive fr just one gene on the newborn screen test?

does this definitely mean she is a carrier? or is there a chance she can be trly negatove for both?

The newborn screen didn't exist when my boys were born, but based on what I know about genetics, they wouldn't have tripped the screen. The mutation they carry is a very rare mutation that is often not associated with many of the most severe symptoms. My daughter has that one and a more severe mutation so we really have no idea how the two will combine.

I know you are overwhelmed. We have all been there in one way or another, all had CF testing done and all had positive confirmations. I know its hard time, but hang in there . . . even IF the test is positive for CF, life will go on. My daughter is 2.5 now. She is perfectly normal, you couldn't look at her and know she has CF. And while our life is more complex and she is a bit more fragile than others, she is a smart, vivacious, silly, beautiful, stinker of a toddler. There is no such thing as normal, everyone has their thing.

M

Mommafirst

Mommafirst-

M

Mommafirst

Mommafirst-

i dont know how i am going to make it til wednesday...</end quote>

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Mommafirst-
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />did you children that are carriers show ositive fr just one gene on the newborn screen test?
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />does this definitely mean she is a carrier? or is there a chance she can be trly negatove for both?
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />i dont know how i am going to make it til wednesday...</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />The newborn screen didn't exist when my boys were born, but based on what I know about genetics, they wouldn't have tripped the screen. The mutation they carry is a very rare mutation that is often not associated with many of the most severe symptoms. My daughter has that one and a more severe mutation so we really have no idea how the two will combine.
<br />
<br />I know you are overwhelmed. We have all been there in one way or another, all had CF testing done and all had positive confirmations. I know its hard time, but hang in there . . . even IF the test is positive for CF, life will go on. My daughter is 2.5 now. She is perfectly normal, you couldn't look at her and know she has CF. And while our life is more complex and she is a bit more fragile than others, she is a smart, vivacious, silly, beautiful, stinker of a toddler. There is no such thing as normal, everyone has their thing.

Alyssa

Melissa,

I posted a couple of responses on your post in the newly diagnosed section.

Please keep in mind, you are not likely to find a person here whose child is only a carrier or was a false positive on the newborn screening, as those people would have <b>little reason to stay on this site </b>- so you are going to find most of us responding to you have children who did eventually test positive for CF - just want you to be aware of that fact, because we will naturally skew the numbers -- we are all on this site because our kids do have CF (or we have some sort of a connection)so you will find an overwhelming majority of those replying to your questions do indeed have a child with CF, but that should not be an indicator for you that it increases the chance of your child having CF. As I said on my other post - at this stage in the game for you it is looking like you will find that your situation truly is a false positive. Try to not focus too much on this and just move forward with the testing to rule out CF - without any symptoms or problems and only having a hit on a newborn screening only so far, I think your chances of finding out she does have CF are pretty small.

Please see my other posts for more information and be sure to click on the link to IRT discussion on a previous post that someone above gave you. It too discusses the fact that the newborn screenings are not detecting CF genes.

Alyssa

Melissa,

Please keep in mind, you are not likely to find a person here whose child is only a carrier or was a false positive on the newborn screening, as those people would have <b>little reason to stay on this site </b>- so you are going to find most of us responding to you have children who did eventually test positive for CF - just want you to be aware of that fact, because we will naturally skew the numbers -- we are all on this site because our kids do have CF (or we have some sort of a connection)so you will find an overwhelming majority of those replying to your questions do indeed have a child with CF, but that should not be an indicator for you that it increases the chance of your child having CF. As I said on my other post - at this stage in the game for you it is looking like you will find that your situation truly is a false positive. Try to not focus too much on this and just move forward with the testing to rule out CF - without any symptoms or problems and only having a hit on a newborn screening only so far, I think your chances of finding out she does have CF are pretty small.

Please see my other posts for more information and be sure to click on the link to IRT discussion on a previous post that someone above gave you. It too discusses the fact that the newborn screenings are not detecting CF genes.

Alyssa

Melissa,

Alyssa

Melissa,

Alyssa

Melissa,
<br />
<br />I posted a couple of responses on your post in the newly diagnosed section.
<br />
<br />Please keep in mind, you are not likely to find a person here whose child is only a carrier or was a false positive on the newborn screening, as those people would have <b>little reason to stay on this site </b>- so you are going to find most of us responding to you have children who did eventually test positive for CF - just want you to be aware of that fact, because we will naturally skew the numbers -- we are all on this site because our kids do have CF (or we have some sort of a connection)so you will find an overwhelming majority of those replying to your questions do indeed have a child with CF, but that should not be an indicator for you that it increases the chance of your child having CF. As I said on my other post - at this stage in the game for you it is looking like you will find that your situation truly is a false positive. Try to not focus too much on this and just move forward with the testing to rule out CF - without any symptoms or problems and only having a hit on a newborn screening only so far, I think your chances of finding out she does have CF are pretty small.
<br />
<br />Please see my other posts for more information and be sure to click on the link to IRT discussion on a previous post that someone above gave you. It too discusses the fact that the newborn screenings are not detecting CF genes.