Plugs

nu65

I've only really recently come to learn what mucus plugs are. In the last month, I've coughed up two "pea" sized round little balls of darker mucus. Before I coughed them out, my chest was very irritated and was coughing really bad for a few minutes until they got it. It's gross but I was so glad to have them out! I don't know if they affected my PFTs, probably not, but I felt winded but better after.

nu65

I've only really recently come to learn what mucus plugs are. In the last month, I've coughed up two "pea" sized round little balls of darker mucus. Before I coughed them out, my chest was very irritated and was coughing really bad for a few minutes until they got it. It's gross but I was so glad to have them out! I don't know if they affected my PFTs, probably not, but I felt winded but better after.

nu65

nu65

nu65

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>They remind me of balls of rubber cement.</end quote></div>
That is a perfect description for what Emily gets up sometimes. She'll be coughing hard enough to be nearly gagging sometimes and then I'll find a few of those in the cup. And it's often while she's vesting.

Sometimes I see what looks like little 'grains' in the cup too. Her dr. always asks if she ate something right before coughing when I try to describe it, but it's not food/crumbs mixing with the mucus (sorry to sound gross... but this is a little kid after all) since she often has had nothing to eat yet that day when she does it- it's something in the sputum itself.

eta> Oh, and she never started getting up those bigger chunks or seeing those 'grains' until after we added a steroid to her daily treatments. (we saw it for the first time when she was doing a round of oral Prednisone, so decided to try.) Opening up her airways must make it much easier for her to get rid of this stuff since we see it pretty consistently now.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>They remind me of balls of rubber cement.</end quote></div>
That is a perfect description for what Emily gets up sometimes. She'll be coughing hard enough to be nearly gagging sometimes and then I'll find a few of those in the cup. And it's often while she's vesting.

Sometimes I see what looks like little 'grains' in the cup too. Her dr. always asks if she ate something right before coughing when I try to describe it, but it's not food/crumbs mixing with the mucus (sorry to sound gross... but this is a little kid after all) since she often has had nothing to eat yet that day when she does it- it's something in the sputum itself.

eta> Oh, and she never started getting up those bigger chunks or seeing those 'grains' until after we added a steroid to her daily treatments. (we saw it for the first time when she was doing a round of oral Prednisone, so decided to try.) Opening up her airways must make it much easier for her to get rid of this stuff since we see it pretty consistently now.

hmw

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>They remind me of balls of rubber cement.</end quote>

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>They remind me of balls of rubber cement.</end quote>
<br />That is a perfect description for what Emily gets up sometimes. She'll be coughing hard enough to be nearly gagging sometimes and then I'll find a few of those in the cup. And it's often while she's vesting.
<br />
<br />Sometimes I see what looks like little 'grains' in the cup too. Her dr. always asks if she ate something right before coughing when I try to describe it, but it's not food/crumbs mixing with the mucus (sorry to sound gross... but this is a little kid after all) since she often has had nothing to eat yet that day when she does it- it's something in the sputum itself.
<br />
<br />eta> Oh, and she never started getting up those bigger chunks or seeing those 'grains' until after we added a steroid to her daily treatments. (we saw it for the first time when she was doing a round of oral Prednisone, so decided to try.) Opening up her airways must make it much easier for her to get rid of this stuff since we see it pretty consistently now.