plz help

JemmaluvinJohn

hey, i found out 2day dat my bf has cf n im rlli worried, i just wnna no basic fings lyk how long he has 2 live cuz i kinda no the basics n have been lookin stuff up about it. . . they have known he has had it since he was 9months old n he is 18 now so he has been having treatment for it since he was a baby, he is also on the list for a lung transplant but im so worried so can sum1 plz talk 2 me bout it thanx

thelizardqueen

This has got to be a hard time for you, and understandably so. That being said - you've come to this forum for information, and that's the first step to really understanding. Now to answer your questions. The median age for survival for a CFer is I believe 36. But it is different for everyone. There are CFers in their 30's, 40's, 50's and even 60s. People who have lung transplants, can also be around for a very long time afterwards. Everything depends on your gene mutations, your environment, how active you are, how diligent you are with your treatments. I'm sure its scary finding out that he has to do all these treatments, all these medications, etc. But it will get easier with time. What advice I can offer, is try not to treat him differently. Don't treat him like a guy who has a disease, but rather just a guy who has a small different thing about him. I'm sure now that you know about his CF, he will tell you about all the ins and outs of CF, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who will come on here and tell you as well. Because you're 18 though, I would also suggest posting this in the adults section - you may get more of a respnose there as well, as the only people that usually come on the teen section are teens. You may get more of an adult response from the adult section.

Good luck!

buggygurl321

I don't really know like, how long he has to live and everything, but like Liz said, treat him like a regular guy, not as though he's "sick".

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Katie 15 w/cf