pneumonia

S

sdelorenzo

My four-year-old son was in the hospital for pneumonia of his upper right lung almost five weeks ago. His x-rays are still showing pneumonia despite the IV's for two weeks tobi, oral antibiotics and prednisolone. We are doing the vest and cpt. Both of my kids had pneumonia as infants and I remember being told that it can take a while for x-rays to improve. But I am starting to get a bit worried that his lung is not back to normal. Jack is to stay at home from pre-k until his x-rays improve so he won't come down with another respiratory infection. He feels great but he still has a little cough. Has anyone else gone through this?
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

My four-year-old son was in the hospital for pneumonia of his upper right lung almost five weeks ago. His x-rays are still showing pneumonia despite the IV's for two weeks tobi, oral antibiotics and prednisolone. We are doing the vest and cpt. Both of my kids had pneumonia as infants and I remember being told that it can take a while for x-rays to improve. But I am starting to get a bit worried that his lung is not back to normal. Jack is to stay at home from pre-k until his x-rays improve so he won't come down with another respiratory infection. He feels great but he still has a little cough. Has anyone else gone through this?

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

lilismom

Sharon,
Lili had pneumonia when she was 3, it was also when she was dx'd with CF. It took her almost a year to get to a baseline where she wasn't coughing anymore. This may also have been due to not being treated for the first 3 years of her life though. What did his Dr say?

lilismom

Sharon,
Lili had pneumonia when she was 3, it was also when she was dx'd with CF. It took her almost a year to get to a baseline where she wasn't coughing anymore. This may also have been due to not being treated for the first 3 years of her life though. What did his Dr say?

lilismom

Sharon,

lilismom

Sharon,

lilismom

Sharon,
<br />Lili had pneumonia when she was 3, it was also when she was dx'd with CF. It took her almost a year to get to a baseline where she wasn't coughing anymore. This may also have been due to not being treated for the first 3 years of her life though. What did his Dr say?

Mom2Annie

I am an internal medicine doctor and mother to a 3 year old girl with CF. In training we were taught that the Xray findings can lag behind a patient's clinical findings for 6 weeks. Meaning, that even though your child may be better, the Xray will still show changes for 6 weeks. In my experience the utility of repeat xrays is not really to show resolution, but to check for progression. I would not be worried that it's still showing.

He may be more susceptible to getting sick because of his recent illness, but I have never heard of anyone being held out of an activity until their xray clears completely.

I treat adults only and know just enough pediatrics/CF medicine to be a little dangerous :) so I'd still go with what your doc says. I'd question him/her about staying out of school though.

Hope that helps!

Mom2Annie

I am an internal medicine doctor and mother to a 3 year old girl with CF. In training we were taught that the Xray findings can lag behind a patient's clinical findings for 6 weeks. Meaning, that even though your child may be better, the Xray will still show changes for 6 weeks. In my experience the utility of repeat xrays is not really to show resolution, but to check for progression. I would not be worried that it's still showing.

He may be more susceptible to getting sick because of his recent illness, but I have never heard of anyone being held out of an activity until their xray clears completely.

I treat adults only and know just enough pediatrics/CF medicine to be a little dangerous :) so I'd still go with what your doc says. I'd question him/her about staying out of school though.

Hope that helps!

Mom2Annie

Hope that helps!

Mom2Annie

Hope that helps!

Mom2Annie

<br />
<br />He may be more susceptible to getting sick because of his recent illness, but I have never heard of anyone being held out of an activity until their xray clears completely.
<br />
<br />I treat adults only and know just enough pediatrics/CF medicine to be a little dangerous :) so I'd still go with what your doc says. I'd question him/her about staying out of school though.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps!