Pneumonia

sdavis227

I'm sure many of you have been through pneumonia with toddlers that can't really give you a good description of how their feeling, so I'm hoping that some of you can help me out here.

We've had bronchitis going around here for the last month or two, and finally got over it. A couple of days later, PK started to run what seemed like a slight fever (couldn't find our thermometer for the life of me) and had a runny nose. Had that for a couple of days, then came down with fevers of over 102 and a horrible, horrible cough. There is definitely mucus in there, but he won't spit it up for us to see. It's to the point at night that we bring him into our bed because it sounds like he's choking. Upped the vest, tried albuterol, and he still sounds awful.

Took him to his reg. ped. yesterday and he said his lungs sound clear... no wheezing. Put him on Tamiflu in case it was H1N1.

Today he doesn't seem to have a fever, and for the most part he's acting normal (he pretty much has been the whole time). He's still hacking and hacking, and I'm worried that even though he's not wheezing, that it still could be pneumonia.

Just not sure how long I'm supposed to let this go on. Please let me know what your experiences have been and if you have any advice.

Thanks!

Edited to add: He does still have a fever, but only a little above 101 this morning

sdavis227

I'm sure many of you have been through pneumonia with toddlers that can't really give you a good description of how their feeling, so I'm hoping that some of you can help me out here.

We've had bronchitis going around here for the last month or two, and finally got over it. A couple of days later, PK started to run what seemed like a slight fever (couldn't find our thermometer for the life of me) and had a runny nose. Had that for a couple of days, then came down with fevers of over 102 and a horrible, horrible cough. There is definitely mucus in there, but he won't spit it up for us to see. It's to the point at night that we bring him into our bed because it sounds like he's choking. Upped the vest, tried albuterol, and he still sounds awful.

Took him to his reg. ped. yesterday and he said his lungs sound clear... no wheezing. Put him on Tamiflu in case it was H1N1.

Today he doesn't seem to have a fever, and for the most part he's acting normal (he pretty much has been the whole time). He's still hacking and hacking, and I'm worried that even though he's not wheezing, that it still could be pneumonia.

Just not sure how long I'm supposed to let this go on. Please let me know what your experiences have been and if you have any advice.

Thanks!

Edited to add: He does still have a fever, but only a little above 101 this morning

sdavis227

Thanks!

sdavis227

Thanks!

sdavis227

<br />
<br />We've had bronchitis going around here for the last month or two, and finally got over it. A couple of days later, PK started to run what seemed like a slight fever (couldn't find our thermometer for the life of me) and had a runny nose. Had that for a couple of days, then came down with fevers of over 102 and a horrible, horrible cough. There is definitely mucus in there, but he won't spit it up for us to see. It's to the point at night that we bring him into our bed because it sounds like he's choking. Upped the vest, tried albuterol, and he still sounds awful.
<br />
<br />Took him to his reg. ped. yesterday and he said his lungs sound clear... no wheezing. Put him on Tamiflu in case it was H1N1.
<br />
<br />Today he doesn't seem to have a fever, and for the most part he's acting normal (he pretty much has been the whole time). He's still hacking and hacking, and I'm worried that even though he's not wheezing, that it still could be pneumonia.
<br />
<br />Just not sure how long I'm supposed to let this go on. Please let me know what your experiences have been and if you have any advice.
<br />
<br />Thanks!
<br />
<br />Edited to add: He does still have a fever, but only a little above 101 this morning

lilismom

Do you have him on antibiotics? I'd do that right away if he's not already on something. When my daughter gets that cough I have her clinic call in antibiotics for her. In the winter it seems she is on them almost every month. Your sons clinic should be able to prescribe some over the phone based on what was cultured in his last throat swab.

I'll try to answer the pneumonia question, Lili had it once when she was 3, her breathing got really shallow overnight and when we brought her in to the Sat clinic they took her O2 level and it was in the high 80's. They sent us over to Childrens Hospital where she was admitted. She was acting normal at the office, running around and playing with her sister the Dr was shocked that she was so sick.
I hope he's feeling better soon
Sarah

lilismom

Do you have him on antibiotics? I'd do that right away if he's not already on something. When my daughter gets that cough I have her clinic call in antibiotics for her. In the winter it seems she is on them almost every month. Your sons clinic should be able to prescribe some over the phone based on what was cultured in his last throat swab.

I'll try to answer the pneumonia question, Lili had it once when she was 3, her breathing got really shallow overnight and when we brought her in to the Sat clinic they took her O2 level and it was in the high 80's. They sent us over to Childrens Hospital where she was admitted. She was acting normal at the office, running around and playing with her sister the Dr was shocked that she was so sick.
Sarah

lilismom

Sarah

lilismom

Sarah

lilismom

<br />
<br />I'll try to answer the pneumonia question, Lili had it once when she was 3, her breathing got really shallow overnight and when we brought her in to the Sat clinic they took her O2 level and it was in the high 80's. They sent us over to Childrens Hospital where she was admitted. She was acting normal at the office, running around and playing with her sister the Dr was shocked that she was so sick.
<br />I hope he's feeling better soon
<br />Sarah
<br />
<br />

JazzysMom

This is one of the issues with CF.....until we are EXTREMELY sick, our bodies manage to function & it appears things are fine.

Hence the need for frequent checkups to catch things from testing before we feel it physically.

We can manage throug a lot, but that doesnt mean damage isnt being done. I would definitely bump up treatments & get in contact with the doctors. It could just be inflammation & not an actual infection, but one leads to the other.

HUGS

JazzysMom

This is one of the issues with CF.....until we are EXTREMELY sick, our bodies manage to function & it appears things are fine.

Hence the need for frequent checkups to catch things from testing before we feel it physically.

We can manage throug a lot, but that doesnt mean damage isnt being done. I would definitely bump up treatments & get in contact with the doctors. It could just be inflammation & not an actual infection, but one leads to the other.

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

HUGS

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Hence the need for frequent checkups to catch things from testing before we feel it physically.
<br />
<br />We can manage throug a lot, but that doesnt mean damage isnt being done. I would definitely bump up treatments & get in contact with the doctors. It could just be inflammation & not an actual infection, but one leads to the other.
<br />
<br />HUGS

hmw

Emily had a severe case of bronchitis that progressed to pneumonia a while back (pre-dx) and what I remember most was the horrendous cough that was so severe she could barely catch her breath sometimes, to the point of making her vomit. She didn't have a high fever either, which contributed to her ped not taking it seriously enough until she was very sick. The first time the ped saw her, her lungs sounded fine to him. By the time he saw her again (several days later) he could hear crackles, etc.

Too many times, what the ped deems fine is NOT fine for our kids; they just don't know enough about CF to proceed appropriately; I'd increase his treatments and check in with his clinic drs and get direction from them on what to do.

hmw

Emily had a severe case of bronchitis that progressed to pneumonia a while back (pre-dx) and what I remember most was the horrendous cough that was so severe she could barely catch her breath sometimes, to the point of making her vomit. She didn't have a high fever either, which contributed to her ped not taking it seriously enough until she was very sick. The first time the ped saw her, her lungs sounded fine to him. By the time he saw her again (several days later) he could hear crackles, etc.

Too many times, what the ped deems fine is NOT fine for our kids; they just don't know enough about CF to proceed appropriately; I'd increase his treatments and check in with his clinic drs and get direction from them on what to do.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Too many times, what the ped deems fine is NOT fine for our kids; they just don't know enough about CF to proceed appropriately; I'd increase his treatments and check in with his clinic drs and get direction from them on what to do.