Port and Diabetes

MMBinNC

<div>I was wondering what the deal is with having a port and CFRD. I had a port earlier, for about a year, then it was removed for a candida infection. My doctor said that high blood sugars raise he possibility for candida and fungal infections so it was my call if I want another port, since it can get infected easily. I can't believe that no one with CFRD has a port, so I was wondering what people's experiences with CFRD and a port were. I am really interested because I'm on IVs a lot, and my left arm is so filled with scar tissue from pre and post port-PICC lines my IVs are gonna have to be placed in my dominant hand from now on.</div>

MMBinNC

I was wondering what the deal is with having a port and CFRD. I had a port earlier, for about a year, then it was removed for a candida infection. My doctor said that high blood sugars raise he possibility for candida and fungal infections so it was my call if I want another port, since it can get infected easily. I can't believe that no one with CFRD has a port, so I was wondering what people's experiences with CFRD and a port were. I am really interestedbecauseI'm on IVs a lot, and my left arm is so filled with scar tissue from pre and post port-PICC lines my IVs are gonna have to be placed in my dominant hand from now on.

MMBinNC

I was wondering what the deal is with having a port and CFRD. I had a port earlier, for about a year, then it was removed for a candida infection. My doctor said that high blood sugars raise he possibility for candida and fungal infections so it was my call if I want another port, since it can get infected easily. I can't believe that no one with CFRD has a port, so I was wondering what people's experiences with CFRD and a port were. I am really interestedbecauseI'm on IVs a lot, and my left arm is so filled with scar tissue from pre and post port-PICC lines my IVs are gonna have to be placed in my dominant hand from now on.

mag6125

I was diagnosed with CFRD 6 years ago and I got my port 3 years ago and no one ever said anything about there being a relation between infection in them and CFRD. I've never had any problems with mine and infection either. I use mine frequently, I'm on ivs every 2-3 weeks for 2-4 weeks at a time and it's holding up just fine. Before my port I had so many piccs that I ran out of places to have one put in due to scar tissue and that's why I got the port.

mag6125

I was diagnosed with CFRD 6 years ago and I got my port 3 years ago and no one ever said anything about there being a relation between infection in them and CFRD. I've never had any problems with mine and infection either. I use mine frequently, I'm on ivs every 2-3 weeks for 2-4 weeks at a time and it's holding up just fine. Before my port I had so many piccs that I ran out of places to have one put in due to scar tissue and that's why I got the port.

mag6125

krisjohn53223

I was diagnosed in '99 with CFRD and I got my port in '00. It still works great and I use it for IV's about every other month.

krisjohn53223

I was diagnosed in '99 with CFRD and I got my port in '00. It still works great and I use it for IV's about every other month.

krisjohn53223

ej0820

I've had CFRD for about five years and got my first port in october of last year. I was never told anything about not having a port with CFRD, infection or no. My port works just fine, I've been using it since I had it placed. I had no choice but to get a port b/c I'm doing IVs long term for mycobacteria. Whether I could handle another PICC (which I can't) or not, it wouldn't have lasted for my IV regimen.

ej0820

I've had CFRD for about five years and got my first port in october of last year. I was never told anything about not having a port with CFRD, infection or no. My port works just fine, I've been using it since I had it placed. I had no choice but to get a port b/c I'm doing IVs long term for mycobacteria. Whether I could handle another PICC (which I can't) or not, it wouldn't have lasted for my IV regimen.

ej0820

markinohio

Ditto on what most people have said. I've had a port for about two years and diabetes for about fifteen years. No problem with infections.

markinohio

Ditto on what most people have said. I've had a port for about two years and diabetes for about fifteen years. No problem with infections.

markinohio

T

TleighsHusband

Tiffany had CFRD and a port for around 8 years. The port had to be replaced once due to MRSA infection but never because of the diabeties. The port was great and gave us so much flexibility.

T

TleighsHusband

Tiffany had CFRD and a port for around 8 years. The port had to be replaced once due to MRSA infection but never because of the diabeties. The port was great and gave us so much flexibility.

T

TleighsHusband

T

TleighsHusband

T

TleighsHusband