Port Failure

W

windex125

I have my port for 9yrs, I was runing high fevers come picc lines, so this was the next step on the ladder. Everything has worked out great, though I get a occassionally black and blue after a mtly flush.I do not think that is a serious issue. This may sound stupid but I will ask anyway, the person putting it in, they did have experience in doing more than just a few? Where was it placed? mine is in my right shoulder below the the collar bone. Sometimes we put so much trust in the doctor and or IV people we assume they know what they are doing, but the fact is alot of people have issues because they are not placed properely. So if yr. picc lines are no holding up and you are on IV's often I wld say definetely consider doing it again, after yr. infection has clearned good luck, make sure you ask alot questions be informed. Which I am sure you are. Pat-55/CF

kemcloney3

I would like to think they had experience. They were referred to me by my cf clinic. But I haven't had a great experience with this surgeon so if I get another port I definitely won't be going back to him. I wasn't given really clear discharge instructions and there was no follow up appointment. Since the port was removed I have seen him and he didn't even ask what happened. He just said it looked good and asked if I wanted another one. He was in and out in about 5 minutes and didn't even pack the wound once he had removed the dressing to check it out. I'm thinking about a physician in Northern Kentucky but I can't remember her name. She comes highly recommended by my boyfriend's family who are all nurses and have seen her work first hand.

kemcloney3

I would like to think they had experience. They were referred to me by my cf clinic. But I haven't had a great experience with this surgeon so if I get another port I definitely won't be going back to him. I wasn't given really clear discharge instructions and there was no follow up appointment. Since the port was removed I have seen him and he didn't even ask what happened. He just said it looked good and asked if I wanted another one. He was in and out in about 5 minutes and didn't even pack the wound once he had removed the dressing to check it out. I'm thinking about a physician in Northern Kentucky but I can't remember her name. She comes highly recommended by my boyfriend's family who are all nurses and have seen her work first hand.

kemcloney3

LouLou

Get it done at a hospital that does a lot of them for chemo patients. With it failing that quickly I'm pretty sure it was due to medical negligence. Honestly this experience would make me concerned to even stay at the facility for cf care. When the need arises for a bronch what will they introduce into your lungs or if worse happened would they be able to take care of you the way I'm sure you would want to be cared for. Do you mind sharing the name of this facility?

LouLou

Get it done at a hospital that does a lot of them for chemo patients. With it failing that quickly I'm pretty sure it was due to medical negligence. Honestly this experience would make me concerned to even stay at the facility for cf care. When the need arises for a bronch what will they introduce into your lungs or if worse happened would they be able to take care of you the way I'm sure you would want to be cared for. Do you mind sharing the name of this facility?

LouLou