Port Questions and Memory Loss

robert321

somewhere I read or was told (I don't remember) that with cf, when o2 sats drop even slightly your memory can be effected. It seems to be consistant with what I do and don't remember though, the sicker I was the less I remember about whatever event. I also don't usually remember telling people things or details about stuff. I have plenty of those moments where "I know I told someone I would do something or help with something today but I don't remember who or what" until they call asking where I am then its "oh yeah..." but I don't know that that is cf related

kk12309

I am 18 and have had 5 ports. All on my chest. When I was younger they stuck out and it wasn't a big deal but now I've found a place for it that doesn't show. It is below my collar bone in the small indent right above my boobs. That way it is not obvious but still in a convenient place for access. I access and flush my port by myself, it really is quite simple. The port is incredibly, Pic lines don't work for me because the doctors can never get them in because my veins are always collapsing. So the port is perfect. I love it.

I can't say much about memory loss because that doesn't happen to me. But also I don't let the doctors use Versed when they put me out because it makes me sick when I wake up. Maybe if you had the doctors use a different anesthetic?

kk12309

I am 18 and have had 5 ports. All on my chest. When I was younger they stuck out and it wasn't a big deal but now I've found a place for it that doesn't show. It is below my collar bone in the small indent right above my boobs. That way it is not obvious but still in a convenient place for access. I access and flush my port by myself, it really is quite simple. The port is incredibly, Pic lines don't work for me because the doctors can never get them in because my veins are always collapsing. So the port is perfect. I love it.

I can't say much about memory loss because that doesn't happen to me. But also I don't let the doctors use Versed when they put me out because it makes me sick when I wake up. Maybe if you had the doctors use a different anesthetic?

julestj

A port does not hurt and it is truly a blessing and lifesaver over the IVs. I waited way too long before having one installed, and I am so glad I finally did it. I too was scared, but for no reason, I found out.

julestj

A port does not hurt and it is truly a blessing and lifesaver over the IVs. I waited way too long before having one installed, and I am so glad I finally did it. I too was scared, but for no reason, I found out.

I've had the same port for about 5 years now and I love it. Just realize that it doesn't mean no more IVs it just means a lot less (I had a rude wake up call about that last time i was in the hospital). I don't even remember most of the pain that I had and the flushes don't hurt at all anymore even though I don't use emla. The scar tissue has pretty much numbed the area. I look back and wish I had gotten a port earlier in life.

I've had the same port for about 5 years now and I love it. Just realize that it doesn't mean no more IVs it just means a lot less (I had a rude wake up call about that last time i was in the hospital). I don't even remember most of the pain that I had and the flushes don't hurt at all anymore even though I don't use emla. The scar tissue has pretty much numbed the area. I look back and wish I had gotten a port earlier in life.

Hardak

Biggest side effect I've had is mine itches from time to time. Other wise I would say go for it. Mine doesn't get in the way, unless accessed then its just cause the extra bulk. I've had a G tube and those get in the way more then my port does. As far as pain goes it will hurt for a week or so after surgery, and if your not using a lydocaine patch you will notice a small short pain when accessing, blood draws from my arm bother me more.

Hardak

Biggest side effect I've had is mine itches from time to time. Other wise I would say go for it. Mine doesn't get in the way, unless accessed then its just cause the extra bulk. I've had a G tube and those get in the way more then my port does. As far as pain goes it will hurt for a week or so after surgery, and if your not using a lydocaine patch you will notice a small short pain when accessing, blood draws from my arm bother me more.

agapegirl36

I have had mine for about 2 years now. I am 17 and at the time of my placement I was very, very hesitant to get the port. I just want to live a "normal" life, as I think most people want to. But I realized that this was something that would only make things easier. I hated getting PICC lines and I had a lot of trouble with them because I have small veins. Now that I have the port, it is a lot easier to access. You barely feel anything when the put the needle in. Of course, nothing is perfect. When accessed, the plastic sticks up a lot and, although it is easier to hide than one on your arm, it is still noticeable. I get mine flushed once a month, but it isn't really painful. I don't use the numbing cream. It's mostly annoying having the nurse have to come to my house for 30 min. My port is on my upper chest so when I wear strapless things you can see the scar. It is only about an inch long and not very ugly. You can't really see the bump under my skin unless you really look. The scar is more noticeable than the port itself. It hurts a lot after the placement surgery because they have to apply it to the muscle wall on your chest. For the first couple of days, it would hurt when I coughed or moved, but the pain went away after like 2-3 days. I don't feel it at all now. I haven't had to change mine yet, but I think they last about 4-5 years. I'm not really sure on that part as I haven't had to experience it yet. I am really glad I got mine. My G-tube is more of a pain than the port. It makes getting IV antibiotics SOO much easier and I am much more independent now too. I know it seems scary. I've been there. But you won't regret it.
Good luck. :)

Amanda1992

im 20, and had a port for 4 years and love it!! its soooo much better than a iv or pickline! i actually had mine placed on my rib cage so went its not accessed, no one can tell its even there :p you get used to having it flushed once a month and its so nice to know once they poke you, they have access, and you won't need another poke!