port surgery questions

jenhum

My first port placement was probably my toughest, but I really think it was b/c I was put to sleep and I didn't react well to the anesthesia- plus I was sick and on IV's at the time, so it was just all in all kind of sucky.
<br />
<br />I've had 2 replacement ports, and both were fairly easy. Local anesthesia, but made me loopy enough that I was far off in lala land, I remember nothing about the surgeries. After my 2nd replacement, I felt fine after recovery- was hungry and wanted to stop at Outback to eat on the way home. Promptly fell asleep at the table and then puked up my dinner in the parking lot. Lesson learned- even if you feel ok, take it easy for the rest of that day and the next, lol!
<br />
<br />I don't have a medic alert bracelet- I just have the little card explaining what kind of port it is in my purse. Actually, I may have lost that, I should probably check. The two times I've had to be picked up by an ambulance, they did peripheral sticks anyway.
<br />
<br />You'll probably be pretty sore for a couple of days, then a little sore for 1-2 weeks and then just sore to the touch for another week or so. I remember thinking it was painful in high school, but I was a dramatic teen, after having a baby my 3rd one was nothing, haha. I won't stress at all if I have to get a 4th down the road. Good luck and I hope you love your port as much as I love mine!

rtorres25

Has anyone had a port anywhere other than upper chest? I would really like it to be more hidden. Not that I wear low cut shirts, but some clothes do show my upper chest.

rtorres25

Has anyone had a port anywhere other than upper chest? I would really like it to be more hidden. Not that I wear low cut shirts, but some clothes do show my upper chest.

rtorres25

krisjohn53223

I have had my port for 11 years. I don't remember much about getting it placed, but I don't think I had to go back to have the stiches removed. Also, I was placed under "conscious sedation" which means they give you lots of drugs to make you loopy but not put you under. I am super sensitive to drugs, so I fell asleep anyway! I woke up when they were sewing the incision closed and tried to sit up and I remember everyone telling me to relax and lay back down. I also remember being in quite a bit of pain after and lots of puking from all the drugs. However, I LOVE MY PORT!! It has been a life saver! Just make sure you take very good care of it! Get it flushed every month and make sure anyone that does anything with it uses sterile technique! I do not wear a medical braclet because like Havoc said, it would never be used in an accident. In fact, I only use mine for CF related stuff. A few times I have needed IV's in the ER for kidney stones but I took an IV instead of having them use my port.

To rtorres25: I had mine placed about an inch below my armpit and then another inch over to the left so it's actually in the side of my left breast. Totally hidden!! The only issue with it there is it took awhile to get used to it being accessed there because my arm would hit it, but now I have had it so long that it doesn't bother me at all!

Oh, and one other thing...ask you doctor if you can have a prescription for Emla Cream. It's a numbing cream you put on 1-3 hours before you are going to have the port accessed for whatever reason. Put a big gob on, don't rub it in though, and then cover with a dressing. It works wonders!! I never feel the poke!! (and trust me, it hurts otherwise, especially with it being in my boob!)

krisjohn53223

I have had my port for 11 years. I don't remember much about getting it placed, but I don't think I had to go back to have the stiches removed. Also, I was placed under "conscious sedation" which means they give you lots of drugs to make you loopy but not put you under. I am super sensitive to drugs, so I fell asleep anyway! I woke up when they were sewing the incision closed and tried to sit up and I remember everyone telling me to relax and lay back down. I also remember being in quite a bit of pain after and lots of puking from all the drugs. However, I LOVE MY PORT!! It has been a life saver! Just make sure you take very good care of it! Get it flushed every month and make sure anyone that does anything with it uses sterile technique! I do not wear a medical braclet because like Havoc said, it would never be used in an accident. In fact, I only use mine for CF related stuff. A few times I have needed IV's in the ER for kidney stones but I took an IV instead of having them use my port.

To rtorres25: I had mine placed about an inch below my armpit and then another inch over to the left so it's actually in the side of my left breast. Totally hidden!! The only issue with it there is it took awhile to get used to it being accessed there because my arm would hit it, but now I have had it so long that it doesn't bother me at all!

Oh, and one other thing...ask you doctor if you can have a prescription for Emla Cream. It's a numbing cream you put on 1-3 hours before you are going to have the port accessed for whatever reason. Put a big gob on, don't rub it in though, and then cover with a dressing. It works wonders!! I never feel the poke!! (and trust me, it hurts otherwise, especially with it being in my boob!)

krisjohn53223

<br />
<br />To rtorres25: I had mine placed about an inch below my armpit and then another inch over to the left so it's actually in the side of my left breast. Totally hidden!! The only issue with it there is it took awhile to get used to it being accessed there because my arm would hit it, but now I have had it so long that it doesn't bother me at all!
<br />
<br />Oh, and one other thing...ask you doctor if you can have a prescription for Emla Cream. It's a numbing cream you put on 1-3 hours before you are going to have the port accessed for whatever reason. Put a big gob on, don't rub it in though, and then cover with a dressing. It works wonders!! I never feel the poke!! (and trust me, it hurts otherwise, especially with it being in my boob!)

L

lizlas

<P>Kris</P>
<P> </P>
<P>So when the port is being accessed the tube is constantly there for the term of your iv treatment rite? so does that interfer with wearing a bra?  even tho I hate braas </P>
<P>still got to wear them when going out..lol...never at home tho...yuk</P>
<P>and my mother in law sleeps in her bra...cudnt imagine that...lol</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Once they put on the emola creme and it never helped...I see why now .... they put it on 15 mins..before picc procedure...geez</P>
<P> maybe its the area or the dr. but on this last picc barely felt the prick and done super quick....</P>
<P>Thanks Liz</P>

L

lizlas

<P>Kris</P>
<P></P>
<P>So when the port is being accessed the tube is constantly there for the term of your iv treatment rite? so does that interfer with wearing a bra? even tho I hate braas </P>
<P></P>
<P>Once they put on the emola creme and it never helped...I see why now ....they put it on 15 mins..before picc procedure...geez</P>
<P>maybe its the area or the dr. but on this last picc barely felt the prick and done super quick....</P>
<P>Thanks Liz</P>

L

lizlas

<P><BR>Kris</P>
<P></P>
<P>So when the port is being accessed the tube is constantly there for the term of your iv treatment rite? so does that interfer with wearing a bra? even tho I hate braas </P>
<P></P>
<P>Once they put on the emola creme and it never helped...I see why now ....they put it on 15 mins..before picc procedure...geez</P>
<P>maybe its the area or the dr. but on this last picc barely felt the prick and done super quick....</P>
<P>Thanks Liz</P>

krisjohn53223

Hi Liz, yes, when I am accessed for antibiotics, there is always a tube that I just hook up the meds to. The only thing is that when I am accessed, the needle is only good for 7 days and then needs to be changed. I am comfortable taking my own needle out, so I take it out, shower and shave my armpit really good (the dressing sometimes covers a little of my pit so it gets a little hairy in there after 7 days!), then I put my cream on 1-3 hours before I get a new needle put in. Because of where my port is, I can't access it myself and still stay sterile.

As far as my bra goes, the underwire sits right below the needle so it doesn't bother me at all. I hate bras too, but as a bigger chested girl, I need them!! Sometimes when I am accessed, it actually feels better to wear a bra to hold the girls up. When it's off, they sag and pulls on the needle and dressing!

Also, I was going to say, the tube hangs down on my side, I tuck it through my bra and then I just need to hook up by lifting my shirt a little only exposing my stomach. Super easy and convienent!!

krisjohn53223

Hi Liz, yes, when I am accessed for antibiotics, there is always a tube that I just hook up the meds to. The only thing is that when I am accessed, the needle is only good for 7 days and then needs to be changed. I am comfortable taking my own needle out, so I take it out, shower and shave my armpit really good (the dressing sometimes covers a little of my pit so it gets a little hairy in there after 7 days!), then I put my cream on 1-3 hours before I get a new needle put in. Because of where my port is, I can't access it myself and still stay sterile.

As far as my bra goes, the underwire sits right below the needle so it doesn't bother me at all. I hate bras too, but as a bigger chested girl, I need them!! Sometimes when I am accessed, it actually feels better to wear a bra to hold the girls up. When it's off, they sag and pulls on the needle and dressing!

Also, I was going to say, the tube hangs down on my side, I tuck it through my bra and then I just need to hook up by lifting my shirt a little only exposing my stomach. Super easy and convienent!!

krisjohn53223

<br />
<br />As far as my bra goes, the underwire sits right below the needle so it doesn't bother me at all. I hate bras too, but as a bigger chested girl, I need them!! Sometimes when I am accessed, it actually feels better to wear a bra to hold the girls up. When it's off, they sag and pulls on the needle and dressing!
<br />
<br />Also, I was going to say, the tube hangs down on my side, I tuck it through my bra and then I just need to hook up by lifting my shirt a little only exposing my stomach. Super easy and convienent!!