portacath queries

robert321

hey another random question, England has government healthcare like Canada has right? its not like the US where you have to pay for it is it? Here the hospitols are required to take care of you regardless of ability to pay but do expect payment, typically a rediculous amount too, you could go buy 3 beds for what they charge you to lay in the one at the hospitol lol

karenanne99

Hey i have had a port for alittle over two years and i would highly recommend it. I am much like you, I am hospitalized about 3-4 times a YEAR FOR 2 OR 3 weeks. i had tonns of problems with IVs and my veins suck ( they tried to get an iv one day and it took 21 tries and they eventually put it in my neck !!GROSS) so I decided it was time for a port. The surgery wasn't that painful actually and it is so convient during hospitalizations and it allows me alot more freedom because they can de-access me and allow me to leave the hospital on passes in between my meds. The only rawback is being accessed once a month, you have to be sure to remember to go because if you dont you can get a clot and the port may have to be removed. I would be happy to send you a pic of my port (ill actally just attch it to this, i find that it isnt very noticable) one more thing that may be a drawbackis when i got it i had to stop playing hockey because it was too rough and dangerous. Anyways good luck and I hope your doctors treat you better You deserve it!

x0x0x

karenanne99

Hey i have had a port for alittle over two years and i would highly recommend it. I am much like you, I am hospitalized about 3-4 times a YEAR FOR 2 OR 3 weeks. i had tonns of problems with IVs and my veins suck ( they tried to get an iv one day and it took 21 tries and they eventually put it in my neck !!GROSS) so I decided it was time for a port. The surgery wasn't that painful actually and it is so convient during hospitalizations and it allows me alot more freedom because they can de-access me and allow me to leave the hospital on passes in between my meds. The only rawback is being accessed once a month, you have to be sure to remember to go because if you dont you can get a clot and the port may have to be removed. I would be happy to send you a pic of my port (ill actally just attch it to this, i find that it isnt very noticable) one more thing that may be a drawbackis when i got it i had to stop playing hockey because it was too rough and dangerous. Anyways good luck and I hope your doctors treat you better You deserve it!

x0x0x

karenanne99

x0x0x

lightNlife

I had my port placed when I was your age. My veins in my arms had been so scarred from all the IVs that they couldn't start a central line on me anymore. Also, whenever I was sick I would tend to get dehydrated which made it even more difficult for nurses to find a suitable vein to draw blood, let alone run hours and hours of meds through it.

I've had a portacath for 10 years now. It has been EXCELLENT. It's in my chest, below my collarbone. At first it hurt a little, but nothing as bad as the pain of midlines and longlines and all the needle pokes that go with them. I've learned to access the port myself, since it needs to be flushed with heparin each month. I have only ever had one problem with it, and that was because a nurse didn't flush it properly.

I hardly even feel it anymore, not even when I stick the needle through it. I do home IVs usually for a 2-3 week course at least twice a year. Being self-sufficient with the port has really cut back on the anxiety and discomfort of having to deal with nurses and needle changes and so forth.

lightNlife

I had my port placed when I was your age. My veins in my arms had been so scarred from all the IVs that they couldn't start a central line on me anymore. Also, whenever I was sick I would tend to get dehydrated which made it even more difficult for nurses to find a suitable vein to draw blood, let alone run hours and hours of meds through it.

I've had a portacath for 10 years now. It has been EXCELLENT. It's in my chest, below my collarbone. At first it hurt a little, but nothing as bad as the pain of midlines and longlines and all the needle pokes that go with them. I've learned to access the port myself, since it needs to be flushed with heparin each month. I have only ever had one problem with it, and that was because a nurse didn't flush it properly.

I hardly even feel it anymore, not even when I stick the needle through it. I do home IVs usually for a 2-3 week course at least twice a year. Being self-sufficient with the port has really cut back on the anxiety and discomfort of having to deal with nurses and needle changes and so forth.

lightNlife

mezmorizing

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>robert321</b></i>

hey i don't know much about the ports because i don't have one, but have you concidered the pic line iv or a midline pic iv? they are ivs that go farther up your arm and you can keep them in longer without infection or rejection, they have a tube that goes up your blood vessel to basically next to your heart, i have only had one (the only iv i've ever had) and kept it in for 2 weeks without a problem, i don't have ivs often because my cf has been being controlled without it and the only time i had one is right after i was diagnosed, what is the second reinformation of cf? i've never heard of it myself if you don't mind will you explain it?

hey i saw where you are new here, welcome, i hope you find this forum informational.</end quote></div>

The second reinformation of CF ... where do I start ...

My doctors don't know much about it at the moment. What we do know is that it is very similiar to CF, with one big difference. My cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator (CFTR) has no problems. As far as they are aware it functions fine, and apparatnly my phlegm isn't that viscous....

I don't have any CF digestive problems, or at least not yet. I do however have reflux disease, which some of my CF friends have. I also have asthm and lung disease. I also have bronchiectasis, which is one of the main factors of CF death. I also have a very weak immune system.

Here's how it all started out..

When I was a few weeks old I developed a cough. i was taken to the doctors but because I was so young they couldn't diagnose anything. At two years old I was diagnosed with ashtma, and it had also developed into lung disease. They didn't know what kind though, and I was tested for CF/TB/etc, multiple times. All came back negative. At 7 I was tested for reflux, which came back negative. This is the time they wanted to take the infected lung away. My grandmother at that time had lung cancer, and it was thought that she was going to die. Because I was so young, I was like "I'm going to go up to heaven with grandma when she goes", blah, blah. My mother decided against the option for me to have the operation. At 11 was told that the infected lung that had bronchiectasis had now spread completely into the other lung, and that i would be dead if I got another serious infection. They also said I had chronic lung disease, and chronic reflux disease.

So now, I have:
asthma
lung disease
reflux disease
bronchiectasis
the second reinformaiton of CF (a lot like the above). This just basically means that I'm a lot like CF people, but have no problems with my genes. I carry CF infections in my lungs, thus cannot mix with them.

mezmorizing

hey i don't know much about the ports because i don't have one, but have you concidered the pic line iv or a midline pic iv? they are ivs that go farther up your arm and you can keep them in longer without infection or rejection, they have a tube that goes up your blood vessel to basically next to your heart, i have only had one (the only iv i've ever had) and kept it in for 2 weeks without a problem, i don't have ivs often because my cf has been being controlled without it and the only time i had one is right after i was diagnosed, what is the second reinformation of cf? i've never heard of it myself if you don't mind will you explain it?

hey i saw where you are new here, welcome, i hope you find this forum informational.</end quote></div>

My doctors don't know much about it at the moment. What we do know is that it is very similiar to CF, with one big difference. My cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator (CFTR) has no problems. As far as they are aware it functions fine, and apparatnly my phlegm isn't that viscous....

I don't have any CF digestive problems, or at least not yet. I do however have reflux disease, which some of my CF friends have. I also have asthm and lung disease. I also have bronchiectasis, which is one of the main factors of CF death. I also have a very weak immune system.

When I was a few weeks old I developed a cough. i was taken to the doctors but because I was so young they couldn't diagnose anything. At two years old I was diagnosed with ashtma, and it had also developed into lung disease. They didn't know what kind though, and I was tested for CF/TB/etc, multiple times. All came back negative. At 7 I was tested for reflux, which came back negative. This is the time they wanted to take the infected lung away. My grandmother at that time had lung cancer, and it was thought that she was going to die. Because I was so young, I was like "I'm going to go up to heaven with grandma when she goes", blah, blah. My mother decided against the option for me to have the operation. At 11 was told that the infected lung that had bronchiectasis had now spread completely into the other lung, and that i would be dead if I got another serious infection. They also said I had chronic lung disease, and chronic reflux disease.

So now, I have:
asthma
lung disease
reflux disease
bronchiectasis
the second reinformaiton of CF (a lot like the above). This just basically means that I'm a lot like CF people, but have no problems with my genes. I carry CF infections in my lungs, thus cannot mix with them.

mezmorizing

So now, I have:
asthma
lung disease
reflux disease
bronchiectasis

mezmorizing

The long line is also known as a picc line, which is supposed to have minimul risk of infection. However, during my last admission, it did get infected.

mezmorizing

The long line is also known as a picc line, which is supposed to have minimul risk of infection. However, during my last admission, it did get infected.

mezmorizing

mezmorizing

hey another random question, England has government healthcare like Canada has right? its not like the US where you have to pay for it is it? Here the hospitols are required to take care of you regardless of ability to pay but do expect payment, typically a rediculous amount too, you could go buy 3 beds for what they charge you to lay in the one at the hospitol lol</end quote></div>

Completely free health-care: the NHS. You are however more likely to die of one of the many hospital superbugs in hospital though, which is pretty ironic.

mezmorizing

hey another random question, England has government healthcare like Canada has right? its not like the US where you have to pay for it is it? Here the hospitols are required to take care of you regardless of ability to pay but do expect payment, typically a rediculous amount too, you could go buy 3 beds for what they charge you to lay in the one at the hospitol lol</end quote></div>

Completely free health-care: the NHS. You are however more likely to die of one of the many hospital superbugs in hospital though, which is pretty ironic.

mezmorizing