Ports??

PoolShooter24

I think i will talk to my docs today and see what they think, when they access it does it hurt? i play pool and i need to have good movement in my right shoulder to put power behind my strokes if needed, that about what i am afraid off is it hurting everytime i need to use muscles, I am in hopspitol id say at least 2 times a year. I am to the point where i dont like coming to get ivs cause of the pain of the picc line insertion, after that im fine and it works great its just the tense atmhophere i create when they try and put it in. I guess in a way im caught between two things. How long are the ports good for? what if after having it awhile i decieded i really didnt want it? would it be a big thing to take it out?

I had that issue with a G-Tube, they wanted me to get one but i said i did want it but would want to remove it in time, and they said once in they didnt to take it out.

Thanks for all the info guys i havent heard a negative thing yet!

PoolShooter24

I think i will talk to my docs today and see what they think, when they access it does it hurt? i play pool and i need to have good movement in my right shoulder to put power behind my strokes if needed, that about what i am afraid off is it hurting everytime i need to use muscles, I am in hopspitol id say at least 2 times a year. I am to the point where i dont like coming to get ivs cause of the pain of the picc line insertion, after that im fine and it works great its just the tense atmhophere i create when they try and put it in. I guess in a way im caught between two things. How long are the ports good for? what if after having it awhile i decieded i really didnt want it? would it be a big thing to take it out?

I had that issue with a G-Tube, they wanted me to get one but i said i did want it but would want to remove it in time, and they said once in they didnt to take it out.

PoolShooter24

PoolShooter24

PoolShooter24

<br />
<br />I had that issue with a G-Tube, they wanted me to get one but i said i did want it but would want to remove it in time, and they said once in they didnt to take it out.
<br />
<br />Thanks for all the info guys i havent heard a negative thing yet!

tesorotiffa

It shouldn't have any impact on your pool game! If picc lines never gave you trouble, a port definitely won't. The great thing about a port is that it's always there so there's no hassle of having a radiological procedure every time you are hospitalized. Your meds can pretty much be started immediately, and it's super convenient. They have a numbing cream that you can apply to your port sight I think about 30 minutes before it's accessed.... but I have never used it. It's really not painful. Granted, there's a stick and a sting but it's over in a heartbeat!

Ports can last for years. I had one 10 years ago. Unfortunately I only had it for 2 years before it got infected ... but the way to prevent infection is to be very sanitary and hygienic whenever it gets accessed, etc. It has the same risks as a picc. So as long as nurses and home health wear gloves and a mask while they are fiddling with it, you will be fine. It's a simple operation to take it out just like to put one in. I doubt after a while you will get sick of having it ... unless miraculously your iv usage stops! LOL. I really didn't wanna get a second one...but I gave in and am glad I did!

tesorotiffa

It shouldn't have any impact on your pool game! If picc lines never gave you trouble, a port definitely won't. The great thing about a port is that it's always there so there's no hassle of having a radiological procedure every time you are hospitalized. Your meds can pretty much be started immediately, and it's super convenient. They have a numbing cream that you can apply to your port sight I think about 30 minutes before it's accessed.... but I have never used it. It's really not painful. Granted, there's a stick and a sting but it's over in a heartbeat!

Ports can last for years. I had one 10 years ago. Unfortunately I only had it for 2 years before it got infected ... but the way to prevent infection is to be very sanitary and hygienic whenever it gets accessed, etc. It has the same risks as a picc. So as long as nurses and home health wear gloves and a mask while they are fiddling with it, you will be fine. It's a simple operation to take it out just like to put one in. I doubt after a while you will get sick of having it ... unless miraculously your iv usage stops! LOL. I really didn't wanna get a second one...but I gave in and am glad I did!

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />Ports can last for years. I had one 10 years ago. Unfortunately I only had it for 2 years before it got infected ... but the way to prevent infection is to be very sanitary and hygienic whenever it gets accessed, etc. It has the same risks as a picc. So as long as nurses and home health wear gloves and a mask while they are fiddling with it, you will be fine. It's a simple operation to take it out just like to put one in. I doubt after a while you will get sick of having it ... unless miraculously your iv usage stops! LOL. I really didn't wanna get a second one...but I gave in and am glad I did!