Ports

bananagirl

So the doc brought up the idea of getting a port the last time i was in the hospital and i want to know about them from people who have them.
She said i could get it either in my arm or my chest. I am thinking i would do the arm cuz that seems less akward to hook up to ivs. But is it supper noticable. Before i got my g-tube they told me oh you can't tell its there it is so falt agains ur skin but that was a total lie cuz it sticks out and you can see it through all my clothes. Also they said it was so great and it isn't and they still bug me about eating. SO is a port as good as they say or is it a lie to and does it hurt to get put it and does it bother you once it is in just bascially tell me anything i should know before getting one cuz i have decide if i am going to get it soon or wait till i have to.

bananagirl

So the doc brought up the idea of getting a port the last time i was in the hospital and i want to know about them from people who have them.
She said i could get it either in my arm or my chest. I am thinking i would do the arm cuz that seems less akward to hook up to ivs. But is it supper noticable. Before i got my g-tube they told me oh you can't tell its there it is so falt agains ur skin but that was a total lie cuz it sticks out and you can see it through all my clothes. Also they said it was so great and it isn't and they still bug me about eating. SO is a port as good as they say or is it a lie to and does it hurt to get put it and does it bother you once it is in just bascially tell me anything i should know before getting one cuz i have decide if i am going to get it soon or wait till i have to.

bananagirl

bananagirl

bananagirl

<br />She said i could get it either in my arm or my chest. I am thinking i would do the arm cuz that seems less akward to hook up to ivs. But is it supper noticable. Before i got my g-tube they told me oh you can't tell its there it is so falt agains ur skin but that was a total lie cuz it sticks out and you can see it through all my clothes. Also they said it was so great and it isn't and they still bug me about eating. SO is a port as good as they say or is it a lie to and does it hurt to get put it and does it bother you once it is in just bascially tell me anything i should know before getting one cuz i have decide if i am going to get it soon or wait till i have to.
<br />

marla

My son got a port placed a few months ago. He got it in his chest. You can see a little bulge on his chest if you look closely. I honestly thought no one would notice it, but he said kids at school ask him about it. He's in high school also. The lump is bigger than we thought it would be, but a nurse said that's because it's on top of bone. Think carefully about where you want it if you get one. My son got his because he is recieving IV antibiotics daily for 12-18 months. Honestly, if you're only getting IV treatment a couple times a year for a couple weeks each time, I wouldn't get the port. If you're often needing IVs, the port is probably the way to go.

marla

My son got a port placed a few months ago. He got it in his chest. You can see a little bulge on his chest if you look closely. I honestly thought no one would notice it, but he said kids at school ask him about it. He's in high school also. The lump is bigger than we thought it would be, but a nurse said that's because it's on top of bone. Think carefully about where you want it if you get one. My son got his because he is recieving IV antibiotics daily for 12-18 months. Honestly, if you're only getting IV treatment a couple times a year for a couple weeks each time, I wouldn't get the port. If you're often needing IVs, the port is probably the way to go.

marla

marla

marla

jaimers

Super Moderator
if you do a search on this site for "ports" or something like that you should find a lot of previous discussions and some of those posts might be really helpful to you!

i love my port

jaimers

Super Moderator
if you do a search on this site for "ports" or something like that you should find a lot of previous discussions and some of those posts might be really helpful to you!

i love my port

jaimers

Super Moderator

i love my port

jaimers

Super Moderator

i love my port

jaimers

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />i love my port
<br />
<br />

cutiepatootie

I have pictures of my port on my blog if you what to see how it looks. I have my port in my chest, I was really skinny it the pictures and not wearing a bra. But when I'm wearing a bra you can't see it at all because the fat from your boobs push up into it and you can just see a scare and I really can't see my scare at all any more. I have had my port for 5 years and I love it.

One other thing you do have to get it flushed once a month, which they will poke into the port with a special needle you get use to it. I just feels like a pinch.

Once you get the port put in, after the surgery it is sore for a couple of day they might give you something for the pain.

I will try to post a picture of my port on my blog, so you can see how it looks while I'm wearing a bra and you won't even see it sticking out. I hope all this help!!!

cutiepatootie

I have pictures of my port on my blog if you what to see how it looks. I have my port in my chest, I was really skinny it the pictures and not wearing a bra. But when I'm wearing a bra you can't see it at all because the fat from your boobs push up into it and you can just see a scare and I really can't see my scare at all any more. I have had my port for 5 years and I love it.

One other thing you do have to get it flushed once a month, which they will poke into the port with a special needle you get use to it. I just feels like a pinch.

Once you get the port put in, after the surgery it is sore for a couple of day they might give you something for the pain.

I will try to post a picture of my port on my blog, so you can see how it looks while I'm wearing a bra and you won't even see it sticking out. I hope all this help!!!

cutiepatootie

cutiepatootie

cutiepatootie