ports

anonymous

I have a question about port-a-cath's. Does anyone know if they can come dettached. You can see the tubing that goes up into my neck easliy under my skin and I swear it has moved farther up my neck than it usually is and of course Im nervous about this( thats how I get). It could be nothing at all, but does anyone know if that can actually happen and why it looks like the tubing goes farther up my neck than I remember it being?

Thanks,

21.f.CF

anonymous

I have a question about port-a-cath's. Does anyone know if they can come dettached. You can see the tubing that goes up into my neck easliy under my skin and I swear it has moved farther up my neck than it usually is and of course Im nervous about this( thats how I get). It could be nothing at all, but does anyone know if that can actually happen and why it looks like the tubing goes farther up my neck than I remember it being?

Thanks,

21.f.CF

Emily65Roses

If you're unsure, call your doc and ask. Or go to the nearest ER and have them take a look at it. I don't know if it can become unattached, but I suppose it's possible.

Emily65Roses

If you're unsure, call your doc and ask. Or go to the nearest ER and have them take a look at it. I don't know if it can become unattached, but I suppose it's possible.

jenjen2130

I would call you doctor and have them take a look. I have a port that I have had for almost 6 years. The first one actully flipped over in my chest. It could not be accessed or anything. I had to see the doctor and he put a new one in.

Jennifer 32/w cf

jenjen2130

I would call you doctor and have them take a look. I have a port that I have had for almost 6 years. The first one actully flipped over in my chest. It could not be accessed or anything. I had to see the doctor and he put a new one in.

Jennifer 32/w cf

Kay

I have a question for all of you...My doctor has mentioned that I should get a port but it just freaks me out right now. Everytime I think about it my stomach turns, I am a baby I know but it is just too much for me right now. Are they easier to have than Picc lines and all that jazz. How do they work...is something always sticking out of you, and during clean outs do they continuously have to stick you when you need meds or is it a one stick and something hangs out for the 3 weeks? Weird questions I know but I have to start thinking about getting one my veins are pretty shot these days and I need them to recover for blood draws because now they can't even do that!

Kay

I have a question for all of you...My doctor has mentioned that I should get a port but it just freaks me out right now. Everytime I think about it my stomach turns, I am a baby I know but it is just too much for me right now. Are they easier to have than Picc lines and all that jazz. How do they work...is something always sticking out of you, and during clean outs do they continuously have to stick you when you need meds or is it a one stick and something hangs out for the 3 weeks? Weird questions I know but I have to start thinking about getting one my veins are pretty shot these days and I need them to recover for blood draws because now they can't even do that!

JazzysMom

I totally relate to you Kay. I have read the numerous posts about this. Looked at the pictures, blah, blah, blah. The overall result is better when its said & done, but getting to that point to me is really hard. I know its coming for me & it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. I am not sure if its the procedure or the idea of this "thing" sticking out of me (so to speak). I dreaded getting my first picc line also so I will be accepting one I make the decision when it comes & do it. Until then I cant even face the idea.

JazzysMom

I totally relate to you Kay. I have read the numerous posts about this. Looked at the pictures, blah, blah, blah. The overall result is better when its said & done, but getting to that point to me is really hard. I know its coming for me & it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. I am not sure if its the procedure or the idea of this "thing" sticking out of me (so to speak). I dreaded getting my first picc line also so I will be accepting one I make the decision when it comes & do it. Until then I cant even face the idea.

Foxycoxy

Key its the best thing i ever did. Ive only had my port in for 6 months.
I live in the uk, and i guess wat you call picc lines is wat we call long lines im not sure.
Nope they dont constantly stick you, they just access at the start of your three weeks and then you have a tube hanging down for the next 3 weeks and you cant see it under your clothes.
And dont worry bout gettting blood done, cos sometimes they take it from ur port anyhow

Foxycoxy

Key its the best thing i ever did. Ive only had my port in for 6 months.
I live in the uk, and i guess wat you call picc lines is wat we call long lines im not sure.
Nope they dont constantly stick you, they just access at the start of your three weeks and then you have a tube hanging down for the next 3 weeks and you cant see it under your clothes.
And dont worry bout gettting blood done, cos sometimes they take it from ur port anyhow

shauna

seriously, now that i have a port i think how did i ever have picc and central lines? the thought of them now makes my skin crawl! i've had 2 ports, this one i've had for about just over a year (got it on xmas day!!) and once you get over the freakiness of having something inside you and the vanity (not saying you're vain but i was!) of having something stick out, its like your best mate haha!!

shauna

seriously, now that i have a port i think how did i ever have picc and central lines? the thought of them now makes my skin crawl! i've had 2 ports, this one i've had for about just over a year (got it on xmas day!!) and once you get over the freakiness of having something inside you and the vanity (not saying you're vain but i was!) of having something stick out, its like your best mate haha!!

momofjosh

Kay:

My son had 3 ports in his life and he said they were wonderful! A lot more comfortable than pic lines. Plus it is easier to move around because there is nothing in your arms. I recommend it.

momofjosh

momofjosh

Kay:

My son had 3 ports in his life and he said they were wonderful! A lot more comfortable than pic lines. Plus it is easier to move around because there is nothing in your arms. I recommend it.

momofjosh

anonymous

I think the port is SO much better than a PICC line. I have had like 7 PICC lines and the last one getting put in was a nightmare (first they hit a nerve then they pushed it in too far). So the week after I was done with a tune up and feeling strong I had the port put in- I haven't used it for I.V.'s yet- I have only gotten it flushed & the "poke" is nothing at all. I would def. consider getting one sooner or later.

Amy.21.CF.CFRD

anonymous

I think the port is SO much better than a PICC line. I have had like 7 PICC lines and the last one getting put in was a nightmare (first they hit a nerve then they pushed it in too far). So the week after I was done with a tune up and feeling strong I had the port put in- I haven't used it for I.V.'s yet- I have only gotten it flushed & the "poke" is nothing at all. I would def. consider getting one sooner or later.

Amy.21.CF.CFRD