Positive sweat test in carriers?

petnurse

I have a question. Not trying to start any drama :) but I need to ask. Has anyone here ever seen a CARRIER test positive on a sweat test. Not borderline, but positive. I read somewhere that DF508 may be able to cause high sweat results even with only one mutation. Any thougts?

petnurse

I have a question. Not trying to start any drama :) but I need to ask. Has anyone here ever seen a CARRIER test positive on a sweat test. Not borderline, but positive. I read somewhere that DF508 may be able to cause high sweat results even with only one mutation. Any thougts?

petnurse

M

Mommafirst

I'd think that a positive sweat test is an indicator of a faulty CFTR function and thus it means the person has the disease. It is possible that genetic testing couldn't find another mutation, but that doesn't mean they are a carrier...just that they have one found and one unfound mutation.

M

Mommafirst

I'd think that a positive sweat test is an indicator of a faulty CFTR function and thus it means the person has the disease. It is possible that genetic testing couldn't find another mutation, but that doesn't mean they are a carrier...just that they have one found and one unfound mutation.

M

Mommafirst

hmw

Unless genetically disease can be 100% ruled out (sibs or parents have known mutations), I think the more likely possibility is an undiscovered mutation, like Heather states.

However, if a carrier can sweat a 54 (as my son did) and go on to get a perfectly normal NPD test, which would indicate functional CFTR... I would have to think that an additional 6 points on a sweat test to go from high borderline to positive is not an impossibility, realistically speaking.

eta> there are other health conditions that can cause an elevated sweat test. However, they come with symptoms of their own and this doesn't seem applicable in this situation.

hmw

Unless genetically disease can be 100% ruled out (sibs or parents have known mutations), I think the more likely possibility is an undiscovered mutation, like Heather states.

However, if a carrier can sweat a 54 (as my son did) and go on to get a perfectly normal NPD test, which would indicate functional CFTR... I would have to think that an additional 6 points on a sweat test to go from high borderline to positive is not an impossibility, realistically speaking.

eta> there are other health conditions that can cause an elevated sweat test. However, they come with symptoms of their own and this doesn't seem applicable in this situation.

hmw

<br />
<br />However, if a carrier can sweat a 54 (as my son did) and go on to get a perfectly normal NPD test, which would indicate functional CFTR... I would have to think that an additional 6 points on a sweat test to go from high borderline to positive is not an impossibility, realistically speaking.
<br />
<br />eta> there are other health conditions that can cause an elevated sweat test. However, they come with symptoms of their own and this doesn't seem applicable in this situation.
<br />
<br />

annonymous

My 5yo son has had many sweat tests and they are always borderline or positive. He has had the full Ambry and carries DF508. We have him checked at the CF center every 6 months and everything is always normal. 70% height and weight, no symptoms, very healthy. We keep a watchful eye on him, as I am aware of the "unknown mutation" dilemma. But, the docs and professionals we've talked with tell us we have to look at the whole picture.....

annonymous

My 5yo son has had many sweat tests and they are always borderline or positive. He has had the full Ambry and carries DF508. We have him checked at the CF center every 6 months and everything is always normal. 70% height and weight, no symptoms, very healthy. We keep a watchful eye on him, as I am aware of the "unknown mutation" dilemma. But, the docs and professionals we've talked with tell us we have to look at the whole picture.....

annonymous

babycakes

I actually tested positive for CF but am only a carrier. I do carry the deltaF508. I had to have a seconary sweat test where they collect the sweat and do whatever to it. However before that test I was put on a low salt diet. This test was negative. I really notice I have a strong reaction to salty foods... getting worse the older I get.

babycakes

I actually tested positive for CF but am only a carrier. I do carry the deltaF508. I had to have a seconary sweat test where they collect the sweat and do whatever to it. However before that test I was put on a low salt diet. This test was negative. I really notice I have a strong reaction to salty foods... getting worse the older I get.

babycakes