POSSIBLE CURE?

lilmac7

This article sparks alot in my mind. First off, I'm delta F508 and R553x which I believe is a nonsense mutaion, so in my case would it correct that strain and basicallsy cause me to be a "carrier" with no symptoms? The next question that comes to my mind and kind of proves to me that there's quite a bit of "politrics" involved in the medical world is that if they can render the HIV/AIDS virus harmless to perform this task, doesn't this suggest they can cure these patients with HIV/Aids? Why have they somehow strayed from that big finding which to me would save so many lives as it is, instead they seem to miss that part and move on to something else? This really makes me wonder...

T

tammykrumrey

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>lilmac7</b></i>

First off, I'm delta F508 and R553x which I believe is a nonsense mutaion, so in my case would it correct that strain and basicallsy cause me to be a "carrier" with no symptoms?

My girls are delta F508 and 1898+1G>A. Our CF doctor had told us that we were 'lucky' that they carried the F508 since that is where a lot of studies are concentrated due to the amount of people who carry it. He told us that if they were to find a way to correct that one gene, it would leave our girls in a carrier status. So I would have to say yes, that it would cause you to be a carrier if they were able to correct the nonsense mutation.

T

tammykrumrey

First off, I'm delta F508 and R553x which I believe is a nonsense mutaion, so in my case would it correct that strain and basicallsy cause me to be a "carrier" with no symptoms?

My girls are delta F508 and 1898+1G>A. Our CF doctor had told us that we were 'lucky' that they carried the F508 since that is where a lot of studies are concentrated due to the amount of people who carry it. He told us that if they were to find a way to correct that one gene, it would leave our girls in a carrier status. So I would have to say yes, that it would cause you to be a carrier if they were able to correct the nonsense mutation.

T

tammykrumrey

NoExcuses

I'm 25 and I've heard a lot of promises about medications since the gene was discovered in 1989. A lot. A ton. Many CFers my age will tell you the same.

I will believe any medication when I hold it in my hands.

And you all are right - only about 10% of CF genes are nonsense mutations. But I'd be happy if it helped any of my fellow CFer's.

NoExcuses

I'm 25 and I've heard a lot of promises about medications since the gene was discovered in 1989. A lot. A ton. Many CFers my age will tell you the same.

And you all are right - only about 10% of CF genes are nonsense mutations. But I'd be happy if it helped any of my fellow CFer's.

NoExcuses

batteredNfried

There's a big difference between POSSIBLE and PROBABLY. No one's going to pay for CF research if the researchers don't have an attention grabbing line like "POSSIBLE CURE."

When and if that day finally comes you can find me at my newly opened popsicle stand on the outskirts of Hades.

batteredNfried

There's a big difference between POSSIBLE and PROBABLY. No one's going to pay for CF research if the researchers don't have an attention grabbing line like "POSSIBLE CURE."

When and if that day finally comes you can find me at my newly opened popsicle stand on the outskirts of Hades.

batteredNfried

ihatecf

this is not for adults or even children... why do i even bother reading these articles i dunno. same old story again.

ihatecf

this is not for adults or even children... why do i even bother reading these articles i dunno. same old story again.

ihatecf

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ihatecf</b></i>

this is not for adults or even children... why do i even bother reading these articles i dunno. same old story again.</end quote></div>

Because whether we benefit from it in our lifetime or not, wouldnt it be nice to know that someone might eventually?

JazzysMom

this is not for adults or even children... why do i even bother reading these articles i dunno. same old story again.</end quote></div>

Because whether we benefit from it in our lifetime or not, wouldnt it be nice to know that someone might eventually?

JazzysMom