post surgery congestion

Emer76

Will be having surgery soon and every time I have surgery I have my secretions become thick, green ,very hard to cough up, just plain nasty.I hoping an outpatient surgery won't end up with me being readmitted for a 2week stay. I won't be able to do my vest for a couple of days but I think I have one of the old precursors stored, if it still works . I'm planning on upping aerosols and cpt and many throw some mucinex on top of that. May even have to throw in oral atibiotics. What are some of the things you do to help get over this? It's been several years since I' v had surgery so I'm a little nervous. Thanks

triples15

Super Moderator
Hi Emer,

I have the same problem. Because of this, the last couple times I have had surgery they have given me an albuterol and saline neb immediately after surgery in the recovery room. I think this really helps to open up and get things moving immediately afterwards. I still felt congested in the days after, but I do think it helped. Otherwise, I would recommend what you already mentioned, upping treatments. I'd also try to drink plenty of water both before and after surgery.

I'd ask about getting a treatment in recovery. They should be able to do it no problem.

Good luck to you and take care,

Autumn 32 w/CF

kmhbeauty

Make sure they keep heating blankets on you. Im assuming you are going in for polyp surgery. I have had 9 surgeries on my nose and the heating blankets really make a difference. If I am not warm enough during surgery, I get joint pain, and I wake up with a low immune system. The last surgery, I really pushed being warm. I woke up hot but no problems after.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
You can't vest at all? When DS had his surgery for a bowel obstruction, we still did vest treatments albeit lower speed, folded towel placed on incision area and reduced pressure and DH and I did manual CPT on him. Also depending upon the type of surgery you're having, there's also a belt style vest the hospital provided.

Emer76

Oh I will definitely be trying to do my vest . No doubt about it. I have tried the belt style vest and don't like it. It's very painful on the girls up top. Having gallbladder surgery, should be laparoscopic. I don't think I should have a problem with vest unless I end up with an incision.

Triples15: thanks for the tip about doing a neb in recovery. I will definitely ask.

triples15

Super Moderator
Emer, with gall bladder surgery you might not be able to use the vest right away. I'd ask the surgeon, and make sure he understands what your vest is and what it does. There could be a risk of hemorrhaging. I know it's not the same AT ALL, but after I had my daughter I was told not to vest for a couple days due to the risk of hemorrhage. I hadn't thought of anything like that, and figured as long as I didn't have a C-section I would be able to vest right away. Luckily I have a hospital grade percussor and just did my upper lobes for those first few days.

Good luck, I hope the surgery and recovery goes smoothly!

Autumn

Emer76

Triples15: Thanks so much! I hadn't thought about that since the surgery should be laparoscopic. I will be asking the surgeon about the vest. Again thanks for your suggestion.

JENNYC

Our ENT has found that giving Abby Prednisone before and after is the way to go for her. It makes the bleeding less during surgery and keeps the swelling down afterwards. Ask your ENT about trying that. It has done wonders for Abby!! Good Luck!!

M

moxie1

I had my gallbladder removed in 2003. I was able to vest the next morning (surgery was late afternoon). I remember that I kept the speed a little lower and I also stuck a little pillow between my vest and incisions.