Potty training with loose stools

pozzy

I am the mom of a very stubborn 3 year old (cole) with CF. He has several (3-10) loose stool diapers a day. We have been working on potty training for almost a year now. We have pee down but I can't seem to get him to poop on the toilet. I have tried all the regular potty training methods. I don't think he has ever had a solid stool to my knowledge so I am not sure he knows how to push. I can't get an answer from the doctors...is this a normal CF thing or is my son just stubborn. We have tried to adjust his enzymes but his stools don't change. I would feel better if I had some advice from people who have gone through this either themselves or with their own children.

pozzy

I am the mom of a very stubborn 3 year old (cole) with CF. He has several (3-10) loose stool diapers a day. We have been working on potty training for almost a year now. We have pee down but I can't seem to get him to poop on the toilet. I have tried all the regular potty training methods. I don't think he has ever had a solid stool to my knowledge so I am not sure he knows how to push. I can't get an answer from the doctors...is this a normal CF thing or is my son just stubborn. We have tried to adjust his enzymes but his stools don't change. I would feel better if I had some advice from people who have gone through this either themselves or with their own children.

pozzy

pozzy

pozzy

folione

Does your son also take zantac or prevacid? Our son needs both enzymes and prevacid to keep things regular and the balance of food & enzyme has to be adjusted as his eating habits changed. We use more enzyme when he eats alot or a big fatty meal and not so much if it is lowfat.

As for the training part, we let him decide when he wanted to potty-train and it worked fine but was later than some of his friends - I don't recall the exact age, but it was older than 3 and younger than 4. Like your boy, he got the pee part figured out first and was not interested at all about the rest until the day he decided to make the switch. After thte switch, we still used pull-up diapers when he would be away from home for awhile, like long car rides or outings but in a fairly short time they became unnecessary.

folione

Does your son also take zantac or prevacid? Our son needs both enzymes and prevacid to keep things regular and the balance of food & enzyme has to be adjusted as his eating habits changed. We use more enzyme when he eats alot or a big fatty meal and not so much if it is lowfat.

As for the training part, we let him decide when he wanted to potty-train and it worked fine but was later than some of his friends - I don't recall the exact age, but it was older than 3 and younger than 4. Like your boy, he got the pee part figured out first and was not interested at all about the rest until the day he decided to make the switch. After thte switch, we still used pull-up diapers when he would be away from home for awhile, like long car rides or outings but in a fairly short time they became unnecessary.

folione

folione

folione

<br />
<br />As for the training part, we let him decide when he wanted to potty-train and it worked fine but was later than some of his friends - I don't recall the exact age, but it was older than 3 and younger than 4. Like your boy, he got the pee part figured out first and was not interested at all about the rest until the day he decided to make the switch. After thte switch, we still used pull-up diapers when he would be away from home for awhile, like long car rides or outings but in a fairly short time they became unnecessary.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I had similar concerns when DS was being potty trained. His daycare director thought he was ready about a month or so before he turned 3. I'd tried regular underwear and was rewarded with mess. We bought the thick training pants underwear and plastic pants and pretty much kept close to home for a couple weeks. Overnight I still used pullups and if we were travelling. At first when he'd tell us he had to go it meant RIGHT THEN AND THERE, but gradually he got things figured out and was pretty much training by the time he was 3. I still used pull ups at night because even though he woke up dry, I just wasn't to sure.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I had similar concerns when DS was being potty trained. His daycare director thought he was ready about a month or so before he turned 3. I'd tried regular underwear and was rewarded with mess. We bought the thick training pants underwear and plastic pants and pretty much kept close to home for a couple weeks. Overnight I still used pullups and if we were travelling. At first when he'd tell us he had to go it meant RIGHT THEN AND THERE, but gradually he got things figured out and was pretty much training by the time he was 3. I still used pull ups at night because even though he woke up dry, I just wasn't to sure.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

izemmom

Emily's stools are usually solid, now, but used to be runny, even when we were sure her enzymes were dosed correctly. Two things seemed to make a difference. 1. She is on a daily, over-the-counter pro-biotic. We use Florajen. 2. She started on her night feeds of Pediasure and uses Qu-zyme (an enzyme formulated for overnight feedings). I don't know if you son has a tube or not, but you might try t he pediasure as a ddrind during the day.

I also reccomend that you talk to a dietician in the GI department of your hospital. Our CF clinic dietician i s wonderful when it comes to nutrition and adding calories, but is not as up on GI and digestion issues. YOu son may need some dietary changes and a GI dietican can work with your Cf team to figure that out.

Also, remind yourself that he is still well within the "Normal" range for being potty trained, even by normal standards. It just takes some kids more (Lots more) time than others. He'll get it eventually, but you are probably right about the lack of solid stool slowing t he process down. Try to get that figured out, first.

Good luck and hang in there. We've all been there and know how frustrating this can be!

izemmom

Emily's stools are usually solid, now, but used to be runny, even when we were sure her enzymes were dosed correctly. Two things seemed to make a difference. 1. She is on a daily, over-the-counter pro-biotic. We use Florajen. 2. She started on her night feeds of Pediasure and uses Qu-zyme (an enzyme formulated for overnight feedings). I don't know if you son has a tube or not, but you might try t he pediasure as a ddrind during the day.

I also reccomend that you talk to a dietician in the GI department of your hospital. Our CF clinic dietician i s wonderful when it comes to nutrition and adding calories, but is not as up on GI and digestion issues. YOu son may need some dietary changes and a GI dietican can work with your Cf team to figure that out.

Also, remind yourself that he is still well within the "Normal" range for being potty trained, even by normal standards. It just takes some kids more (Lots more) time than others. He'll get it eventually, but you are probably right about the lack of solid stool slowing t he process down. Try to get that figured out, first.

Good luck and hang in there. We've all been there and know how frustrating this can be!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

<br />
<br />I also reccomend that you talk to a dietician in the GI department of your hospital. Our CF clinic dietician i s wonderful when it comes to nutrition and adding calories, but is not as up on GI and digestion issues. YOu son may need some dietary changes and a GI dietican can work with your Cf team to figure that out.
<br />
<br />Also, remind yourself that he is still well within the "Normal" range for being potty trained, even by normal standards. It just takes some kids more (Lots more) time than others. He'll get it eventually, but you are probably right about the lack of solid stool slowing t he process down. Try to get that figured out, first.
<br />
<br />Good luck and hang in there. We've all been there and know how frustrating this can be!