Pre-natal Screening

Tiffado

Ive noticed alot of discussion on here lately re: IVF/PVD etc. This brought me to think about my pre-natal screening experience.

Just before I got married, I visted my OBGYN prior to becoming pregnant to discuss what I needed to know. I thought that they would do bloodwork and testing. But they didnt-even though I asked if they were going to. I had NO IDEA what the tests would be-just thought there had to be something they would do.

AFTER I got pregnant they did do testing...including CF carrier. I came back DF508. Subsequently my husband got tested and he came back R117H-7T. We declined amnio as we werent going to have an abortion or do anything differently. Risk of miscarriage wasnt worth it to us.

Im just wondering why women dont get tested prior to becoming pregnant or I guess the question is more-why arent the doctors proactively testing us? Especially if they are PLANNING a pregnancy. Also-from what Ive read, it seems often the father of the child does not get carrier testing when they know the mother is in fact a carrier.

Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?

Tiffado

Ive noticed alot of discussion on here lately re: IVF/PVD etc. This brought me to think about my pre-natal screening experience.

Just before I got married, I visted my OBGYN prior to becoming pregnant to discuss what I needed to know. I thought that they would do bloodwork and testing. But they didnt-even though I asked if they were going to. I had NO IDEA what the tests would be-just thought there had to be something they would do.

AFTER I got pregnant they did do testing...including CF carrier. I came back DF508. Subsequently my husband got tested and he came back R117H-7T. We declined amnio as we werent going to have an abortion or do anything differently. Risk of miscarriage wasnt worth it to us.

Im just wondering why women dont get tested prior to becoming pregnant or I guess the question is more-why arent the doctors proactively testing us? Especially if they are PLANNING a pregnancy. Also-from what Ive read, it seems often the father of the child does not get carrier testing when they know the mother is in fact a carrier.

Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?

Tiffado

Tiffado

Tiffado

<br />
<br />Just before I got married, I visted my OBGYN prior to becoming pregnant to discuss what I needed to know. I thought that they would do bloodwork and testing. But they didnt-even though I asked if they were going to. I had NO IDEA what the tests would be-just thought there had to be something they would do.
<br />
<br />AFTER I got pregnant they did do testing...including CF carrier. I came back DF508. Subsequently my husband got tested and he came back R117H-7T. We declined amnio as we werent going to have an abortion or do anything differently. Risk of miscarriage wasnt worth it to us.
<br />
<br />Im just wondering why women dont get tested prior to becoming pregnant or I guess the question is more-why arent the doctors proactively testing us? Especially if they are PLANNING a pregnancy. Also-from what Ive read, it seems often the father of the child does not get carrier testing when they know the mother is in fact a carrier.
<br />
<br />Are these insurance issues? Is it just lack of education? Are we being treated by doctors that are just doing what they have always done?

MargaritaChic

My husband and I visited our doctor when we started trying to get pregnant. Neither of us had any carrier testing. Neither of us really knew anything about CF, so we did not know to ask.

My daughter's CF was discovered through newborn screening. Thank God our state screens babies for it.

I was told we were not tested because we had no family history of the disease.

MargaritaChic

My husband and I visited our doctor when we started trying to get pregnant. Neither of us had any carrier testing. Neither of us really knew anything about CF, so we did not know to ask.

My daughter's CF was discovered through newborn screening. Thank God our state screens babies for it.

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />My daughter's CF was discovered through newborn screening. Thank God our state screens babies for it.
<br />
<br />I was told we were not tested because we had no family history of the disease.

Transplantmommy

Well, since I have CF and I was pregnant, they wanted to do all sorts of testing, and not just for CF. I told them absolutely not because I was not going to risk losing the baby that I never thought that I would have. I told them just to keep track of him through the ultrasounds, which they did often enough!!

As for the carrier testing, my husband did get the blood test done for it when I was pregnant because I wanted him to. He did not come back as a carrier, but if he had, it wouldn't have changed my mind on having the baby.

Transplantmommy

Well, since I have CF and I was pregnant, they wanted to do all sorts of testing, and not just for CF. I told them absolutely not because I was not going to risk losing the baby that I never thought that I would have. I told them just to keep track of him through the ultrasounds, which they did often enough!!

As for the carrier testing, my husband did get the blood test done for it when I was pregnant because I wanted him to. He did not come back as a carrier, but if he had, it wouldn't have changed my mind on having the baby.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />As for the carrier testing, my husband did get the blood test done for it when I was pregnant because I wanted him to. He did not come back as a carrier, but if he had, it wouldn't have changed my mind on having the baby.

SARAHSARAH253

I had carrier testing done when I first became pregnant, during my first blood work. I had no idea what CF was at the time, and when I came back as a carrier I freaked. They asked my husband to come in, and he came back NOT a carrier. What a surprise to find out after all he is a CARRIER, but just to a more uncommon mutation. I wish they would of told us that they were only testing for 30 mutations...It would of been easier to know we still had a risk, and not been a roller coaster. People asking our you sure you didn't cheat?

SARAHSARAH253

I had carrier testing done when I first became pregnant, during my first blood work. I had no idea what CF was at the time, and when I came back as a carrier I freaked. They asked my husband to come in, and he came back NOT a carrier. What a surprise to find out after all he is a CARRIER, but just to a more uncommon mutation. I wish they would of told us that they were only testing for 30 mutations...It would of been easier to know we still had a risk, and not been a roller coaster. People asking our you sure you didn't cheat?

SARAHSARAH253

SARAHSARAH253

SARAHSARAH253