Pregnancy & CF..

B

billiewoolley

Hello!Just a quick question, is it difficult for sufferer's with CF too fall pregnant easily? I was reading somewhere how people with CF can find it difficult, and it would break my heart more than anything if I weren't able too have kids & IVF didn't work. ):
I'm not trying for a baby anytime soon, as I am only 18, but i'd just like some advice, so i'd know what too expect in the future. Thank You. :)

B

billiewoolley

Hello!Just a quick question, is it difficult for sufferer's with CF too fall pregnant easily? I was reading somewhere how people with CF can find it difficult, and it would break my heart more than anything if I weren't able too have kids & IVF didn't work. ):
I'm not trying for a baby anytime soon, as I am only 18, but i'd just like some advice, so i'd know what too expect in the future. Thank You. :)

marisalynn

Hello,
I think in general it can be more difficult for women with CF to conceive, I think mainly because of the increased thickness of the cervical mucus. Also, nutrition does play a role in the menstrual cycle, so women who have a hard time keeping weight on may have a more difficult time if their cycles are irregular. That being said, there are some women with CF who have no trouble at all conceiving.
I conceived my daughter after just over a year of trying. After about 4 months of trying, I started charting, in which I kept track of different signs/symptoms of fertility, which helped me to understand when I was most fertile and therefore more likely to conceive. It also helped me to feel a little more in control of the situation. About 10 months into ttc (trying to conceive), I had a hysterosalphinogram, in which the doctor injects contrast dye into the uterus, and up into the fallopian tubes. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I believe that there was probably a blockage in the fallopian tubes that the dye broke through, which then allowed the eggs to more easily become fertilized. My doctor mentioned that it is quite possible with me having CF. About 2 months later, I conceived my daughter. She is 7 months old now, and the light of my life. I know there are many women with CF who have had a harder time conceiving, and have had to do IUI or IVF, but if you are sure you want to have kids and your doctor says you are healthy enough, I would encourage you to try when you get to that point. It really is an experience that we shouldn't just toss aside just because we have CF. In the mean time, just try to stay as healthy as you can so that when you get to that point, you will have the best chance of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Good luck!

Marisa RN, 24w/CF mommy to 7-month old baby girl (no CF)

marisalynn

Hello,
I think in general it can be more difficult for women with CF to conceive, I think mainly because of the increased thickness of the cervical mucus. Also, nutrition does play a role in the menstrual cycle, so women who have a hard time keeping weight on may have a more difficult time if their cycles are irregular. That being said, there are some women with CF who have no trouble at all conceiving.
I conceived my daughter after just over a year of trying. After about 4 months of trying, I started charting, in which I kept track of different signs/symptoms of fertility, which helped me to understand when I was most fertile and therefore more likely to conceive. It also helped me to feel a little more in control of the situation. About 10 months into ttc (trying to conceive), I had a hysterosalphinogram, in which the doctor injects contrast dye into the uterus, and up into the fallopian tubes. I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I believe that there was probably a blockage in the fallopian tubes that the dye broke through, which then allowed the eggs to more easily become fertilized. My doctor mentioned that it is quite possible with me having CF. About 2 months later, I conceived my daughter. She is 7 months old now, and the light of my life. I know there are many women with CF who have had a harder time conceiving, and have had to do IUI or IVF, but if you are sure you want to have kids and your doctor says you are healthy enough, I would encourage you to try when you get to that point. It really is an experience that we shouldn't just toss aside just because we have CF. In the mean time, just try to stay as healthy as you can so that when you get to that point, you will have the best chance of having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. Good luck!

Marisa RN, 24w/CF mommy to 7-month old baby girl (no CF)

imported_Momto2

Well I've been married 15 years and no serious BC...no pregnancies either...which is just fine : )
We are very happy with a family of four.
But, it would probably be difficult in my situation.

imported_Momto2

Well I've been married 15 years and no serious BC...no pregnancies either...which is just fine : )
We are very happy with a family of four.
But, it would probably be difficult in my situation.

imported_Momto2

oooohh havoc, right on. Parenthood is HARD. The sleep deprivation can send you into a CF tailspin. But if you're determined, have decent health and have a supportive partner, no reason why you cant. I would not advocate for a single parent situation though. Hard enough with a supportive partner.

imported_Momto2

oooohh havoc, right on. Parenthood is HARD. The sleep deprivation can send you into a CF tailspin. But if you're determined, have decent health and have a supportive partner, no reason why you cant. I would not advocate for a single parent situation though. Hard enough with a supportive partner.