Pregnant Again

Mommy2Alysa

Hello Everyone!

I just found out I was pregnant again with my second child (due in September). I have a 20 month old (diagnosed in November 2006) with CF and I am totally scared that my next one will also be CF. I know that my chances again are 1 in 4 but I cant get past the fact that I may have to go through all the testing, stressing, and worry, along with the drugs, enzymes, and "fights" to get physio done again with another child. My stress can be loosed by finding out in utero if my baby has CF... what is everyone's take on that?

Is there anyone out there that has more than one child but only one of them has CF? No matter what my baby has or anything I will love it unconditionally... just need some stress-relieving advice.

Thanks!

Mommy2Alysa

Hello Everyone!

I just found out I was pregnant again with my second child (due in September). I have a 20 month old (diagnosed in November 2006) with CF and I am totally scared that my next one will also be CF. I know that my chances again are 1 in 4 but I cant get past the fact that I may have to go through all the testing, stressing, and worry, along with the drugs, enzymes, and "fights" to get physio done again with another child. My stress can be loosed by finding out in utero if my baby has CF... what is everyone's take on that?

Is there anyone out there that has more than one child but only one of them has CF? No matter what my baby has or anything I will love it unconditionally... just need some stress-relieving advice.

Thanks!

Mommy2Alysa

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

M

mneville

I wish I had some words of advice for you. After our firstborn was diagnosed, we decided not to take the chance with anymore. However birth control isn't 100% and we knew it was always a possibility. We decided to do IVF/PGD and are currently 16 weeks pregnant. It is not 100% and an amnio is recommended to us to confirm the baby is CF free. At this point we have decided not to do an amnio. If there are signs on the ultrasound, then I think we will.

It is a tough call. I guess it all depends on whether you want to prepare in case the new baby does have CF. If I got pregnant naturally, I think I would. Because we would have to make changes in work/childcare ect... I send you lots of prayers that the baby is CF free. And if CF- they're even more loveable!!

Megan

M

mneville

I wish I had some words of advice for you. After our firstborn was diagnosed, we decided not to take the chance with anymore. However birth control isn't 100% and we knew it was always a possibility. We decided to do IVF/PGD and are currently 16 weeks pregnant. It is not 100% and an amnio is recommended to us to confirm the baby is CF free. At this point we have decided not to do an amnio. If there are signs on the ultrasound, then I think we will.

It is a tough call. I guess it all depends on whether you want to prepare in case the new baby does have CF. If I got pregnant naturally, I think I would. Because we would have to make changes in work/childcare ect... I send you lots of prayers that the baby is CF free. And if CF- they're even more loveable!!

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

Mommy2Alysa

Thank you. It's nice to hear that other people who have kids with CF already are having more children. We were hoping to have another one after our daughter was diagnosed but we werent expecting it to happen so soon. I guess someone upstairs wants us to have another one and hopefully this one will be "normal" (hate to use that term) good luck to you and your unborn bundle of joy and you're totally right CF kids are just that much more loveable :0)

Mommy2Alysa

Thank you. It's nice to hear that other people who have kids with CF already are having more children. We were hoping to have another one after our daughter was diagnosed but we werent expecting it to happen so soon. I guess someone upstairs wants us to have another one and hopefully this one will be "normal" (hate to use that term) good luck to you and your unborn bundle of joy and you're totally right CF kids are just that much more loveable :0)

Mommy2Alysa

Scarlett81

Wish you the best. You know the drill about having a child with cf, so I don't need to tell you that. I'm sure it is very hard to care for a child with cf day in and day out, not to mention the worry. But as you said in another post to the man who suspects he may be a carrier-you also know the rewards.
Life is precious and sacred-any life. We cfers have a hard time, its true. But there are some positives in having cf that show through in our personalities. We can survive things, and be empathetic to others in a special way.
I hope this baby doesn't have it. And yes, there are tons of people on this site that have 1 kid with cf, and their other children do not have it. So hope in that. Stay strong! Hopefully you can talk to more moms that have dealt with your situation.

Scarlett81

Wish you the best. You know the drill about having a child with cf, so I don't need to tell you that. I'm sure it is very hard to care for a child with cf day in and day out, not to mention the worry. But as you said in another post to the man who suspects he may be a carrier-you also know the rewards.
Life is precious and sacred-any life. We cfers have a hard time, its true. But there are some positives in having cf that show through in our personalities. We can survive things, and be empathetic to others in a special way.
I hope this baby doesn't have it. And yes, there are tons of people on this site that have 1 kid with cf, and their other children do not have it. So hope in that. Stay strong! Hopefully you can talk to more moms that have dealt with your situation.

Scarlett81

Darinsmom

Hi I have a 9yr.old son with Cf and a 2 yr.old who doesn't. Have faith and trust in Jesus1 He won't give you more then you can handle. My pastor said these words to me when I was feeling a little scared about our second son having CF_ "Don't let the fear overcome you" These were such comforting words. We are even thinking about a 3rd!?? Good luck with your pregancy!!

Laurie

Darinsmom

Hi I have a 9yr.old son with Cf and a 2 yr.old who doesn't. Have faith and trust in Jesus1 He won't give you more then you can handle. My pastor said these words to me when I was feeling a little scared about our second son having CF_ "Don't let the fear overcome you" These were such comforting words. We are even thinking about a 3rd!?? Good luck with your pregancy!!

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

wanderlost

well you know the stats - but you also know as hard as it is to parent a Cfer, you would never trade yours in...and you will love this one just as much no matter what! I have CF - my brother and sister do not. My uncle has CF, but my mom and other uncle do not. I will say a little prayer for your baby.

wanderlost

well you know the stats - but you also know as hard as it is to parent a Cfer, you would never trade yours in...and you will love this one just as much no matter what! I have CF - my brother and sister do not. My uncle has CF, but my mom and other uncle do not. I will say a little prayer for your baby.

wanderlost

tapia

I have CF and was the first born. My parents had three more. I have a sister and two brothers. All three <u>do not </u>have CF...i was the "lucky" one. But you know what? I think my parents made the right choice to have more children. My sister and my brothers are the most loving and they are totally supportive. When I get sick they are at the hospital with me everyday (around their school schedules of course) aswell as my parents. I also feel very happy to have them and i would 20 times rather have the CF than them. In combination with my husband, my daughter, and my parents, my siblings are the ones that cheer me up when i feel down on my CF and always make me feel loved.

So keep in mind that the chance the baby will have CF is there, but it's not for sure...

Best Wishes

tapia

I have CF and was the first born. My parents had three more. I have a sister and two brothers. All three <u>do not </u>have CF...i was the "lucky" one. But you know what? I think my parents made the right choice to have more children. My sister and my brothers are the most loving and they are totally supportive. When I get sick they are at the hospital with me everyday (around their school schedules of course) aswell as my parents. I also feel very happy to have them and i would 20 times rather have the CF than them. In combination with my husband, my daughter, and my parents, my siblings are the ones that cheer me up when i feel down on my CF and always make me feel loved.

So keep in mind that the chance the baby will have CF is there, but it's not for sure...

Best Wishes