Pregnant Again

mom2caseyafrica

I have a similar situation. I have always wanted more than one child. My daughter, who is about 8 weeks old and has CF, is my first and only baby. When we were told that she has CF my Aunt asked about future children. They started talking about donors and IVF. I couldnt help but think how unfair it was that I cannot have another child of my own without worrying that I will have another baby with CF. My dilemma is that I dont want to make another child that will have to be sick all the time, but I want to have my own babies. I told my daughters father that we cant have anymore kids at least not for a while. And he started talking about getting a vasectamy or me getting my tubes tied and just adopt or foster children. But the doctor said not to do anything irreversable. And I just dont know what to do. Any way you look at it, its not fair.

mom2caseyafrica

I have a similar situation. I have always wanted more than one child. My daughter, who is about 8 weeks old and has CF, is my first and only baby. When we were told that she has CF my Aunt asked about future children. They started talking about donors and IVF. I couldnt help but think how unfair it was that I cannot have another child of my own without worrying that I will have another baby with CF. My dilemma is that I dont want to make another child that will have to be sick all the time, but I want to have my own babies. I told my daughters father that we cant have anymore kids at least not for a while. And he started talking about getting a vasectamy or me getting my tubes tied and just adopt or foster children. But the doctor said not to do anything irreversable. And I just dont know what to do. Any way you look at it, its not fair.

mom2caseyafrica

mom2caseyafrica

mom2caseyafrica

Chilemom

i think to have my second baby is the best thing i have done in my life, with or wihout cf. I came from a big family (we are seven ) , when i knew my daughter has cf the first thing i did was call my brothers and sisters, the persons that have been with me all the time are them, in a way the best heritance that i received from my parents are my brothers and sisters.... so when i see my daughters e first month toguether I am prety sure i did the right thing.
My pregnancy was very calm until two weeks before my baby born i started to get nervous,and the first month after her birth, before the sweat test was terrible, i mean a night mare, not knowing was terrible...
And yes at the beginig was difficult to do cpt, give meds, while you are breast fidding, no sleep at night, etcc.. but now my baby "help me" to do cpt, and every day is easier.

enjoy your pregnancy, its a beautiful moment, enjoy this moment with your little girl they are so cute, and congratulations... Having a child with cf gives you two huge problems: the cf of your child of course, and what do you do with the fact that you want more kids.... now you have only one problem, the other is already solved (for good or not)
Congratulations¡¡¡¡

Chilemom

i think to have my second baby is the best thing i have done in my life, with or wihout cf. I came from a big family (we are seven ) , when i knew my daughter has cf the first thing i did was call my brothers and sisters, the persons that have been with me all the time are them, in a way the best heritance that i received from my parents are my brothers and sisters.... so when i see my daughters e first month toguether I am prety sure i did the right thing.
My pregnancy was very calm until two weeks before my baby born i started to get nervous,and the first month after her birth, before the sweat test was terrible, i mean a night mare, not knowing was terrible...
And yes at the beginig was difficult to do cpt, give meds, while you are breast fidding, no sleep at night, etcc.. but now my baby "help me" to do cpt, and every day is easier.

enjoy your pregnancy, its a beautiful moment, enjoy this moment with your little girl they are so cute, and congratulations... Having a child with cf gives you two huge problems: the cf of your child of course, and what do you do with the fact that you want more kids.... now you have only one problem, the other is already solved (for good or not)
Congratulations¡¡¡¡

Chilemom

Congratulations¡¡¡¡

Chilemom

Congratulations¡¡¡¡

Chilemom

<br />My pregnancy was very calm until two weeks before my baby born i started to get nervous,and the first month after her birth, before the sweat test was terrible, i mean a night mare, not knowing was terrible...
<br />And yes at the beginig was difficult to do cpt, give meds, while you are breast fidding, no sleep at night, etcc.. but now my baby "help me" to do cpt, and every day is easier.
<br />
<br />enjoy your pregnancy, its a beautiful moment, enjoy this moment with your little girl they are so cute, and congratulations... Having a child with cf gives you two huge problems: the cf of your child of course, and what do you do with the fact that you want more kids.... now you have only one problem, the other is already solved (for good or not)
<br />Congratulations¡¡¡¡

kitomd21

joelleconlin - you can perform a search on the forums regarding having another child with CF as a known risk factor. You'll find responses that equally satisfy/justify either position. Ultimately, it's your decision. One that you have to accept with the knowledge that more than one child with CF means greater risk factors/cross-infection, time commitment, variable outcomes for each affected child. Consider time away to care for your child when they are hospitalized and the effect that may have on your child(ren) at home. Your decision won't be wrong, either way, as long as you've considered the risks/concerns of either position.

A child born with CF today has a different future than a child born with CF 30 years ago - consider that the median lifespan for individuals TODAY is in the upper 30s. However, don't expect that each person with CF will live into their 30s. The variable course of the disease is unpredictable. Nobody can tell you the right or wrong answer...but acknowledge that you can't expect your child to live a life without a known multitude of health challenges. Do know that the methods of treatment for those challenges are more encouraging with each passing year....

I believe any life is worth living. Having an illness doesn't mean that an individual can't greatly affect those around them for the greater good. I don't think our decisions should involve the determination of who should live based upon an illness that he/she may or may not have. How can we decide which life-shortening illness is worthier of being given life?

Again, you must accept that any future children could have CF...look at any future children as if they will have CF. Then make your decision if you can handle it emotionally and financially. Don't have another child without confronting all of the possible complications that you may face...CF or not. Don't forget to consider what your child (CF or no CF) may experience. Talk to other individuals that have CF and value their opinion and advice as well.

kitomd21

joelleconlin - you can perform a search on the forums regarding having another child with CF as a known risk factor. You'll find responses that equally satisfy/justify either position. Ultimately, it's your decision. One that you have to accept with the knowledge that more than one child with CF means greater risk factors/cross-infection, time commitment, variable outcomes for each affected child. Consider time away to care for your child when they are hospitalized and the effect that may have on your child(ren) at home. Your decision won't be wrong, either way, as long as you've considered the risks/concerns of either position.

A child born with CF today has a different future than a child born with CF 30 years ago - consider that the median lifespan for individuals TODAY is in the upper 30s. However, don't expect that each person with CF will live into their 30s. The variable course of the disease is unpredictable. Nobody can tell you the right or wrong answer...but acknowledge that you can't expect your child to live a life without a known multitude of health challenges. Do know that the methods of treatment for those challenges are more encouraging with each passing year....

I believe any life is worth living. Having an illness doesn't mean that an individual can't greatly affect those around them for the greater good. I don't think our decisions should involve the determination of who should live based upon an illness that he/she may or may not have. How can we decide which life-shortening illness is worthier of being given life?

Again, you must accept that any future children could have CF...look at any future children as if they will have CF. Then make your decision if you can handle it emotionally and financially. Don't have another child without confronting all of the possible complications that you may face...CF or not. Don't forget to consider what your child (CF or no CF) may experience. Talk to other individuals that have CF and value their opinion and advice as well.

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

<br />
<br />A child born with CF today has a different future than a child born with CF 30 years ago - consider that the median lifespan for individuals TODAY is in the upper 30s. However, don't expect that each person with CF will live into their 30s. The variable course of the disease is unpredictable. Nobody can tell you the right or wrong answer...but acknowledge that you can't expect your child to live a life without a known multitude of health challenges. Do know that the methods of treatment for those challenges are more encouraging with each passing year....
<br />
<br />I believe any life is worth living. Having an illness doesn't mean that an individual can't greatly affect those around them for the greater good. I don't think our decisions should involve the determination of who should live based upon an illness that he/she may or may not have. How can we decide which life-shortening illness is worthier of being given life?
<br />
<br />Again, you must accept that any future children could have CF...look at any future children as if they will have CF. Then make your decision if you can handle it emotionally and financially. Don't have another child without confronting all of the possible complications that you may face...CF or not. Don't forget to consider what your child (CF or no CF) may experience. Talk to other individuals that have CF and value their opinion and advice as well.