Pregnant

sdavis227

Hello everyone. My name is Shannon and I wanted to introduce myself and maybe get a little insight from those of you who are raising a child/children with CF.
I am 23 years old and my husband and I are expecting our 2nd little boy in the middle of March. When I was around 17 weeks pregnant, we went in for a regular ultrasound where the doctor found that the baby had a "bright bowel". What he told me was that it could be one of three things: I had bled (not known it) and the baby swallowed some blood, the baby could have down syndrome, or the baby had CF.
After doing research, I was most concerned about down syndrome as hubby and I do not know of anyone in our families with CF. I went in for AFP tests twice and both times the results were high. Since AFP levels with down syndrome babies are usually low and the baby had other things (nose bone), we pretty much ruled out down syndrome but now the doctors started talking about spina bifida. After the second ultrasound, about 3 weeks later, doctors said the spine looked great and that they would be able to catch something like 96% of spina bifida cases. Hubby and I had taken CF carrier tests and around a week later I received a call from the doctor saying that both hubby and I are carriers.
This took me totally by surprise as this was the last thing I thought this "bright spot" was all about. Ever since, I have been trying to educate myself as much as I can about CF. We are going to see the genetic counselor on Monday and I have many questions that I am hoping she can answer.
My biggest concern is with the first few years of life. Has anyone here gotten a diagnosis this early? I have been wondering about this "bright spot", whether it is a meconium illeus or what it would be. Wondering what I should expect in the first few months. I know that no one can tell me how bad this is going to be, but that's what terrifies me.
If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Shannon

sdavis227

Hello everyone. My name is Shannon and I wanted to introduce myself and maybe get a little insight from those of you who are raising a child/children with CF.
I am 23 years old and my husband and I are expecting our 2nd little boy in the middle of March. When I was around 17 weeks pregnant, we went in for a regular ultrasound where the doctor found that the baby had a "bright bowel". What he told me was that it could be one of three things: I had bled (not known it) and the baby swallowed some blood, the baby could have down syndrome, or the baby had CF.
After doing research, I was most concerned about down syndrome as hubby and I do not know of anyone in our families with CF. I went in for AFP tests twice and both times the results were high. Since AFP levels with down syndrome babies are usually low and the baby had other things (nose bone), we pretty much ruled out down syndrome but now the doctors started talking about spina bifida. After the second ultrasound, about 3 weeks later, doctors said the spine looked great and that they would be able to catch something like 96% of spina bifida cases. Hubby and I had taken CF carrier tests and around a week later I received a call from the doctor saying that both hubby and I are carriers.
This took me totally by surprise as this was the last thing I thought this "bright spot" was all about. Ever since, I have been trying to educate myself as much as I can about CF. We are going to see the genetic counselor on Monday and I have many questions that I am hoping she can answer.
My biggest concern is with the first few years of life. Has anyone here gotten a diagnosis this early? I have been wondering about this "bright spot", whether it is a meconium illeus or what it would be. Wondering what I should expect in the first few months. I know that no one can tell me how bad this is going to be, but that's what terrifies me.
If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Shannon

sdavis227

Shannon

bmombtoo

Hi Shannon,

I'm sorry to hear about the suspected problems with the baby. My youngest was born at 32 weeks and that was scary in and of it's self so I can only imagine how scared you are.

My son was not diagnosed until he was 12. Lots of other moms on the site knew there were problems before the baby was born or very shortly thereafter. You will find this site a great source of support. We are all there or have been there.

Hang in there!!!!

bmombtoo

Hi Shannon,

I'm sorry to hear about the suspected problems with the baby. My youngest was born at 32 weeks and that was scary in and of it's self so I can only imagine how scared you are.

My son was not diagnosed until he was 12. Lots of other moms on the site knew there were problems before the baby was born or very shortly thereafter. You will find this site a great source of support. We are all there or have been there.

Hang in there!!!!

bmombtoo

Hi Shannon,

Hang in there!!!!

JazzysMom

Many dx are made from the same thing that your baby shows. Even tho its not a good thing to be dx with CF......catching it this early is a good thing. Nothing is a guarantee of course until the baby is actually tested. Even tho both of you are carriers there still is a chance that the baby didnt get both genes & that the bowel problem is something else. I do have to honestly say that tho this is a chance......its probably pretty low. Another thing to know is that many dx have no known family history. Hopefully you will get some feedback from those with little ones that had this so you can get a better idea of what to expect. You could also do a search of previous threads to see everything that has been discussed already on the topic. In the meantime I will send you some virtual strength & please keep us updated!

JazzysMom

Many dx are made from the same thing that your baby shows. Even tho its not a good thing to be dx with CF......catching it this early is a good thing. Nothing is a guarantee of course until the baby is actually tested. Even tho both of you are carriers there still is a chance that the baby didnt get both genes & that the bowel problem is something else. I do have to honestly say that tho this is a chance......its probably pretty low. Another thing to know is that many dx have no known family history. Hopefully you will get some feedback from those with little ones that had this so you can get a better idea of what to expect. You could also do a search of previous threads to see everything that has been discussed already on the topic. In the meantime I will send you some virtual strength & please keep us updated!

JazzysMom

jbrandonAW

I was dx'd at two. If you caught it early your lucky because so much can be done now. Median age is 37 but 5 years ago it was 30 so your baby still has great odds (even though each case differs). I would try and stress as little as possible. CF is one of the least things to worry about. Most of us live very great lives and cf never stops up. Sorry to here of your prob though. Hope its a no. God Bless

jbrandonAW

I was dx'd at two. If you caught it early your lucky because so much can be done now. Median age is 37 but 5 years ago it was 30 so your baby still has great odds (even though each case differs). I would try and stress as little as possible. CF is one of the least things to worry about. Most of us live very great lives and cf never stops up. Sorry to here of your prob though. Hope its a no. God Bless

jbrandonAW

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shannon. My daughter was born with meconium illeus and even though I had a bazillion (or so it felt) ultrasounds, no one saw an echogenic bowel. We didn't discover the MI until about 12 hours after birth as she was unable to eat or keep up her body temp. We were able to pass the MI plug with an enema and averted surgery. While further testing did reveal CF, we've had a pretty normal baby experience thus far -- minus the crazy nervousness that comes with a CF diagnosis. I hope your son does not have CF, but if he does you will find invaluable information here.

If you have questions about the MI and surgery etc. I'm sure there are others around here that can discuss that aspect. Welcome to the site!

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shannon. My daughter was born with meconium illeus and even though I had a bazillion (or so it felt) ultrasounds, no one saw an echogenic bowel. We didn't discover the MI until about 12 hours after birth as she was unable to eat or keep up her body temp. We were able to pass the MI plug with an enema and averted surgery. While further testing did reveal CF, we've had a pretty normal baby experience thus far -- minus the crazy nervousness that comes with a CF diagnosis. I hope your son does not have CF, but if he does you will find invaluable information here.

If you have questions about the MI and surgery etc. I'm sure there are others around here that can discuss that aspect. Welcome to the site!

M

Mommafirst

Alyssa

Hi Shannon,

Welcome to the site -- sounds like you have been doing a wonderful job of researching. I'm sure it has been a very difficult time, and hard to digest all these possibilities for your baby's future -- but it is a good thing to have found out early on so they can keep an eye on the bowel blockage while you are pregnant and it is best to know right away about the CF and pancreas problems so you can start with the enzymes right away. Your baby will be far more healthy if he/she is receiving the correct treatments/care right away -- many parents are playing a guessing game for a long time trying to figure out how to treat their baby. So you will be ahead of the game there.

My kids were not diagnosed until their teen years so I'm not much help with baby stories, but there are a lot of people on here who can help you -- if you don't get many replies in the newly diagnosed section, post in the families -- there are far more people reading/posting there.

Alyssa

Hi Shannon,

Welcome to the site -- sounds like you have been doing a wonderful job of researching. I'm sure it has been a very difficult time, and hard to digest all these possibilities for your baby's future -- but it is a good thing to have found out early on so they can keep an eye on the bowel blockage while you are pregnant and it is best to know right away about the CF and pancreas problems so you can start with the enzymes right away. Your baby will be far more healthy if he/she is receiving the correct treatments/care right away -- many parents are playing a guessing game for a long time trying to figure out how to treat their baby. So you will be ahead of the game there.

My kids were not diagnosed until their teen years so I'm not much help with baby stories, but there are a lot of people on here who can help you -- if you don't get many replies in the newly diagnosed section, post in the families -- there are far more people reading/posting there.

Alyssa

Hi Shannon,

sdavis227

Thank you to all of you for your support. Heather - have you had to use enzymes and if so, what form is it in? I am planning on breast feeding as I did with my 2 year old, but am curious how I would give enzymes if the need was there. Wasn't sure if the babies with the MI plug had more stomack/pancreas troubles?

sdavis227

Thank you to all of you for your support. Heather - have you had to use enzymes and if so, what form is it in? I am planning on breast feeding as I did with my 2 year old, but am curious how I would give enzymes if the need was there. Wasn't sure if the babies with the MI plug had more stomack/pancreas troubles?