Prenatal Aquatics?

jenhum

Anyone take a prenatal (or postnatal w/baby) aquatics class? There is one offered at a very nice gym in my area, and I thought it might be a nice way to help keep me in shape this summer, along with regular walking.

My only concern is that it's a public pool. I'm assuming that a gym has to keep a pool cleaned/maintained to a certain standard, and like I mentioned, this is a very nice gym so I'm not worried about it being gross at all. But as far as catching bugs from public water sources, does it make any difference if it's a nice gym or a neighbor's pool? Or is it just as easy to catch something from either?

I'm going to e-mail my doctor tomorrow and ask, but just thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about that!

jenhum

Anyone take a prenatal (or postnatal w/baby) aquatics class? There is one offered at a very nice gym in my area, and I thought it might be a nice way to help keep me in shape this summer, along with regular walking.

My only concern is that it's a public pool. I'm assuming that a gym has to keep a pool cleaned/maintained to a certain standard, and like I mentioned, this is a very nice gym so I'm not worried about it being gross at all. But as far as catching bugs from public water sources, does it make any difference if it's a nice gym or a neighbor's pool? Or is it just as easy to catch something from either?

I'm going to e-mail my doctor tomorrow and ask, but just thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about that!

jenhum

jenhum

jenhum

<br />
<br />My only concern is that it's a public pool. I'm assuming that a gym has to keep a pool cleaned/maintained to a certain standard, and like I mentioned, this is a very nice gym so I'm not worried about it being gross at all. But as far as catching bugs from public water sources, does it make any difference if it's a nice gym or a neighbor's pool? Or is it just as easy to catch something from either?
<br />
<br />I'm going to e-mail my doctor tomorrow and ask, but just thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about that!

K

Keepercjr

Jenny

I have no idea but I'm assuming that a public pool uses so many chemicals that it is very unlikely to grow anything. I'm considering taking some prenatal aquatic classes too.

K

Keepercjr

Jenny

I have no idea but I'm assuming that a public pool uses so many chemicals that it is very unlikely to grow anything. I'm considering taking some prenatal aquatic classes too.

K

Keepercjr

Jenny

K

Keepercjr

Jenny

K

Keepercjr

Jenny
<br />
<br />I have no idea but I'm assuming that a public pool uses so many chemicals that it is very unlikely to grow anything. I'm considering taking some prenatal aquatic classes too.

tara

I swam for several of my adult years in a public pool at a local community college. My lungs only culture two strains of PA. I don't think I got them from the pool either. I think the benefit of exercise outweighs a potential risk of picking up bugs in a public pool.

Just be careful when you cough while swimming. I had terrible round ligament pain when I coughed so when I was swimming in the deep end I'd forget to curl up in the fetal position to cough because I was um...busy swimming! And owieeeee! That hurt! But if you can cough while standing up straight, you're good to go anyway.

tara

I swam for several of my adult years in a public pool at a local community college. My lungs only culture two strains of PA. I don't think I got them from the pool either. I think the benefit of exercise outweighs a potential risk of picking up bugs in a public pool.

Just be careful when you cough while swimming. I had terrible round ligament pain when I coughed so when I was swimming in the deep end I'd forget to curl up in the fetal position to cough because I was um...busy swimming! And owieeeee! That hurt! But if you can cough while standing up straight, you're good to go anyway.

tara

tara

tara

<br />
<br />Just be careful when you cough while swimming. I had terrible round ligament pain when I coughed so when I was swimming in the deep end I'd forget to curl up in the fetal position to cough because I was um...busy swimming! And owieeeee! That hurt! But if you can cough while standing up straight, you're good to go anyway.

rubyroselee

Hi Jenny,

I am taking swim classes with my 15-month-old right now. We started him in it when he was 6 months and he loves it! We got every Saturday morning at the Y. I love watching him learn things in the water and it feels good to be in a pool (especially being pregnant). Nothing they do is too strenuous and it's hardly any work, but still fun.

I am not concerned about the cleanliness at all because I know they have to abide by the state's health standards. Even though the facility is old at my YMCA, it appears to be very clean. The only thing I watch out for is Landon putting the communal toys in his mouth. Other than that, it's great fun!

I think the benefits definitely outweigh the risks, like Tara said.

rubyroselee

Hi Jenny,

I am taking swim classes with my 15-month-old right now. We started him in it when he was 6 months and he loves it! We got every Saturday morning at the Y. I love watching him learn things in the water and it feels good to be in a pool (especially being pregnant). Nothing they do is too strenuous and it's hardly any work, but still fun.

I am not concerned about the cleanliness at all because I know they have to abide by the state's health standards. Even though the facility is old at my YMCA, it appears to be very clean. The only thing I watch out for is Landon putting the communal toys in his mouth. Other than that, it's great fun!

rubyroselee

Hi Jenny,

rubyroselee

Hi Jenny,

rubyroselee

Hi Jenny,
<br />
<br />I am taking swim classes with my 15-month-old right now. We started him in it when he was 6 months and he loves it! We got every Saturday morning at the Y. I love watching him learn things in the water and it feels good to be in a pool (especially being pregnant). Nothing they do is too strenuous and it's hardly any work, but still fun.
<br />
<br />I am not concerned about the cleanliness at all because I know they have to abide by the state's health standards. Even though the facility is old at my YMCA, it appears to be very clean. The only thing I watch out for is Landon putting the communal toys in his mouth. Other than that, it's great fun!
<br />
<br />I think the benefits definitely outweigh the risks, like Tara said.