Productive Cough

gsplover

Why do some of us have very productive coughs and never have trouble getting the junk out and others don't have a productive cough? Does it have something to do with the about of junk in our lungs?

gsplover

Why do some of us have very productive coughs and never have trouble getting the junk out and others don't have a productive cough? Does it have something to do with the about of junk in our lungs?

gsplover

NoExcuses

1. Some of us have very productive coughs becuase we have normal mucus, plus dead white blood cells, and bacteria exo-toxins that accumulate to form sputum. I definitely have plenty of sputum when I have a bacterial flare-up

2. Some never have trouble getting the junk out because they use HFCC which helps move the mucus out, along with Pulmozyme which thins the mucus and Hypertonic Saline which hydrates the airways

3. Some dno't have a productive cough because they don't have a bacteria flare-up and simply don't have have sputum in their lungs at the moment OR they have plent of sputum but its not properly moved out due to lack of HFCC, use of pulmozyme or Hypertonic Salene

NoExcuses

1. Some of us have very productive coughs becuase we have normal mucus, plus dead white blood cells, and bacteria exo-toxins that accumulate to form sputum. I definitely have plenty of sputum when I have a bacterial flare-up

2. Some never have trouble getting the junk out because they use HFCC which helps move the mucus out, along with Pulmozyme which thins the mucus and Hypertonic Saline which hydrates the airways

3. Some dno't have a productive cough because they don't have a bacteria flare-up and simply don't have have sputum in their lungs at the moment OR they have plent of sputum but its not properly moved out due to lack of HFCC, use of pulmozyme or Hypertonic Salene

NoExcuses

coltsfan715

Maybe the amount of gunk ... maybe the bugs we grow ... maybe whether or not we are well hydrated. I find that when I drink more water I have a more productive cough than when I don't.

Before I started drinking good amounts of water - and before I cut Sodas out of my diet completely - I would barely ever cough - even when doing treatments and saline/pulmozyme or the vest. Now especially the past week I have been pretty well hydrated and have been coughing up a storm when I do saline and the vest. I have been getting up a ton of stuff... that and I think the degree of infection has a lot to do with it.

When I get sick the gunk in my lungs is sooo incredibly thickand sticky I feel like it is superglued to my lungs sometimes I can cough all day and barely bring anything up. Whereas lately I have been coughing and getting so much up - Kurt is amazed because he has never seen me get this much up before (and it is so much thinner and mostly clear/whitish).

Hopefuly someone will be able to offer a definite ... this is why answer ... but those are my thoughts on the issue.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Maybe the amount of gunk ... maybe the bugs we grow ... maybe whether or not we are well hydrated. I find that when I drink more water I have a more productive cough than when I don't.

Before I started drinking good amounts of water - and before I cut Sodas out of my diet completely - I would barely ever cough - even when doing treatments and saline/pulmozyme or the vest. Now especially the past week I have been pretty well hydrated and have been coughing up a storm when I do saline and the vest. I have been getting up a ton of stuff... that and I think the degree of infection has a lot to do with it.

When I get sick the gunk in my lungs is sooo incredibly thickand sticky I feel like it is superglued to my lungs sometimes I can cough all day and barely bring anything up. Whereas lately I have been coughing and getting so much up - Kurt is amazed because he has never seen me get this much up before (and it is so much thinner and mostly clear/whitish).

Hopefuly someone will be able to offer a definite ... this is why answer ... but those are my thoughts on the issue.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

When I have asked my doc this same question they say it is good so long as it is not out of control. You want to get the junk up and out of your lungs but if you notice a change in what you are coughing up, the difficulty with which you are getting stuff up, the frequency of cough and such then maybe just keep an eye open that you are not getting an infection.

Some Moderate cough is good basically but if it is exhausting you or wearing you down because you are coughing so much and so hard then there may be a problem.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

When I have asked my doc this same question they say it is good so long as it is not out of control. You want to get the junk up and out of your lungs but if you notice a change in what you are coughing up, the difficulty with which you are getting stuff up, the frequency of cough and such then maybe just keep an eye open that you are not getting an infection.

Some Moderate cough is good basically but if it is exhausting you or wearing you down because you are coughing so much and so hard then there may be a problem.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

LouLou

I find it best to do alot of coughing/huffing with clearance work (HFCC, acapella, autogenic drainage) this way I do not cough as much during the day. Coughing wears a person out. Oh and coughing (as opposed to huffing) has all of these side effects according to my doctor who says CF'ers need to learn to cough.

hernia, incontinence, lower back problems, heriated disks, hemorroids. I think there were a few more but I can't remember them.

I have gone through different periods of mucus production and can't link it to one thing in particular. Sometimes its voluminous and fluffy comes out easy other times its sticky and low in volume and everything in between. When I was thirteen I would cough up a dozen plugs every morning...strange. That's never happened again. One here or there but not a bunch all at once.

LouLou

I find it best to do alot of coughing/huffing with clearance work (HFCC, acapella, autogenic drainage) this way I do not cough as much during the day. Coughing wears a person out. Oh and coughing (as opposed to huffing) has all of these side effects according to my doctor who says CF'ers need to learn to cough.

hernia, incontinence, lower back problems, heriated disks, hemorroids. I think there were a few more but I can't remember them.

I have gone through different periods of mucus production and can't link it to one thing in particular. Sometimes its voluminous and fluffy comes out easy other times its sticky and low in volume and everything in between. When I was thirteen I would cough up a dozen plugs every morning...strange. That's never happened again. One here or there but not a bunch all at once.