Propel Implant for Nasal Polyps?

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Well my 9 year old is about to undergo his third sinus surgery for nasal polyps in 3 years. They have always come back within a couple of months of surgery, but the ENT always waits as long as possible - until they cause problems. This time the ENT wants to insert a Propel Implant with the hopes of delaying recurrence. I understand they are relatively new. Has anyone tried this before?

A

addison

Same Here

Well my 9 year old is about to undergo his third sinus surgery for nasal polyps in 3 years. They have always come back within a couple of months of surgery, but the ENT always waits as long as possible - until they cause problems. This time the ENT wants to insert a Propel Implant with the hopes of delaying recurrence. I understand they are relatively new. Has anyone tried this before?

Gammaw,
I too have 2 children with CF that have had numerous sinus surgeries, only to have polyps resurface again. Just recently both my kids (15 & 19) had extensive robotic surgeries, where bone was removed to make large cavities so no Mersa can hide. Already my son has polyps after just having this extensive surgery.

We would very much like to hear if these implants work and how effective they are.

Gammaw

Super Moderator
Another thread has reminded me to update this one. The propel implant did in fact delay recurrence of my son's polyps, but it didn't stop it. Instead of having them return within 3 months, it took about 8 months. Now that's a big improvement for us, but not as good as I wanted, obviously. They were indeed still small at the last visit, but his nose started bleeding recently - I'm sure it has to do with the aggravation to his sinuses that winter and its colds bring. He did however continue to culture MRSA in his nasal passages, so for those looking to eliminate that, I don't think it helped. Basically the propel implant is a steroid infused dissolvable cage that is inserted at the time of surgery to decrease the inflammation while your sinuses are healing. The steroids are released through the cage material which disintegrates over a 30 to 60 day time period. The disintegration was not uneventful, but painless. The cage can break apart as it dissolves and on more than one occasion, my son found a small piece in his throat which he would spit out. We also used a sinus atomizer during the following month with Tobi which had been specially formulated for the atomizer. I don't suppose there is anyway to apportion our results between the implant and the atomized antibiotic, but I believe the implant was instrumental.