Pseudomonas affecting oral hygeine??

Nightwriter

Hi AnnieT,

Your boyfriend wins the prize. Certain medications can be behind cavities. If you take any medications that dry up mucus, it also causes less saliva to be produced. With less saliva, you get more plaque, and potentially more cavities. For instance, for me, Claritin does this. You should look at your medications' insert -- anything that says, "May cause dry mouth" can do it.

Also inhaled steroids can cause problems in other ways -- thrush and may promote bacterial growth as steroids do in other parts of the body as well.

You should rinse well after any inhaled medication and can ask your dentist for tools to clean in the hard-to-get to places.

Nightwriter

Hi AnnieT,

Your boyfriend wins the prize. Certain medications can be behind cavities. If you take any medications that dry up mucus, it also causes less saliva to be produced. With less saliva, you get more plaque, and potentially more cavities. For instance, for me, Claritin does this. You should look at your medications' insert -- anything that says, "May cause dry mouth" can do it.

Also inhaled steroids can cause problems in other ways -- thrush and may promote bacterial growth as steroids do in other parts of the body as well.

You should rinse well after any inhaled medication and can ask your dentist for tools to clean in the hard-to-get to places.

Nightwriter

Hi AnnieT,

Nightwriter

Hi AnnieT,

Nightwriter

Hi AnnieT,
<br />
<br />Your boyfriend wins the prize. Certain medications can be behind cavities. If you take any medications that dry up mucus, it also causes less saliva to be produced. With less saliva, you get more plaque, and potentially more cavities. For instance, for me, Claritin does this. You should look at your medications' insert -- anything that says, "May cause dry mouth" can do it.
<br />
<br />Also inhaled steroids can cause problems in other ways -- thrush and may promote bacterial growth as steroids do in other parts of the body as well.
<br />
<br />You should rinse well after any inhaled medication and can ask your dentist for tools to clean in the hard-to-get to places.

MMBinNC

I always assumed that the nebulizers hurt my teeth- aka made plaque build up faster. I brush my teeth 2x a day and I don't think I have ever had white teeth (except whenI had them bleached- but that didn't last long). I've never had any cavaties and I'v had pseudomonas alcaligenes my entire life. But maybe different strains = different teeth effects. Or maybe I'm just genetically predisposed to awesome teeth (and the diseases negate that effect)

MMBinNC

I always assumed that the nebulizers hurt my teeth- aka made plaque build up faster. I brush my teeth 2x a day and I don't think I have ever had white teeth (except whenI had them bleached- but that didn't last long). I've never had any cavaties and I'v had pseudomonas alcaligenes my entire life. But maybe different strains = different teeth effects. Or maybe I'm just genetically predisposed to awesome teeth (and the diseases negate that effect)

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

MMBinNC