Psuedomonas and hospital stay....question

BabyBeauty

I hope I can communicate this right. Here goes...

My daughter has cultured psuedomonas twice. These are her first bad cultures. She is almost 2 1/2. We are finishing up TOBI and cipro now. We go into clinic in next Tuesday for a throat culture. We go on vacation on Friday morning for a week and a half. IF she cultures psuedomonas, I wanted to cancel our vacation and do the hospital stay. Our dr is saying it is okay to wait until we get back. Won't she grow more psuedomonas during that time? My husband is agreeing with the drs and I would like to go on the side of caution and get rid of this thing.

Any thoughts?

BabyBeauty

My daughter has cultured psuedomonas twice. These are her first bad cultures. She is almost 2 1/2. We are finishing up TOBI and cipro now. We go into clinic in next Tuesday for a throat culture. We go on vacation on Friday morning for a week and a half. IF she cultures psuedomonas, I wanted to cancel our vacation and do the hospital stay. Our dr is saying it is okay to wait until we get back. Won't she grow more psuedomonas during that time? My husband is agreeing with the drs and I would like to go on the side of caution and get rid of this thing.

Any thoughts?

BabyBeauty

<br />
<br />My daughter has cultured psuedomonas twice. These are her first bad cultures. She is almost 2 1/2. We are finishing up TOBI and cipro now. We go into clinic in next Tuesday for a throat culture. We go on vacation on Friday morning for a week and a half. IF she cultures psuedomonas, I wanted to cancel our vacation and do the hospital stay. Our dr is saying it is okay to wait until we get back. Won't she grow more psuedomonas during that time? My husband is agreeing with the drs and I would like to go on the side of caution and get rid of this thing.
<br />
<br />Any thoughts?

S

sdelorenzo

I say absolutely go on the vacation!! Battling bacteria is a life-long struggle for those with cf. Don't let it interfere with your life. I am not a dr, but I agree a week and a half is not going to matter. When my daughter was diagnosed nine years ago the standard cf practice was to do a throat culture once a year at the birthday visit. Obviously much better now to test often. That's great she is being treated with Tobi and cipro. Our clinic won't do IV's for psuedomonas for preventative measures on children less than 5 yrs. They say research shows Tobi and cipro do just as well as IV's. I really disagreed with them about this when my son was one and cultured psuedomonas. But the Tobi worked! Just my two cents...
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 1 yr no cf

S

sdelorenzo

I say absolutely go on the vacation!! Battling bacteria is a life-long struggle for those with cf. Don't let it interfere with your life. I am not a dr, but I agree a week and a half is not going to matter. When my daughter was diagnosed nine years ago the standard cf practice was to do a throat culture once a year at the birthday visit. Obviously much better now to test often. That's great she is being treated with Tobi and cipro. Our clinic won't do IV's for psuedomonas for preventative measures on children less than 5 yrs. They say research shows Tobi and cipro do just as well as IV's. I really disagreed with them about this when my son was one and cultured psuedomonas. But the Tobi worked! Just my two cents...
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 1 yr no cf

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 1 yr no cf

T

TonyaH

I agree, pack your suitcase! The guessing game in treating CF is one of the most difficult things about it. The fact of the matter is, Avery's next culture may come back clean, but the pseudomonas could actually still be present. Cultures are so inconclusive! If Avery is feeling well, I think it is important to go on vacation and enjoy your family time.

T

TonyaH

I agree, pack your suitcase! The guessing game in treating CF is one of the most difficult things about it. The fact of the matter is, Avery's next culture may come back clean, but the pseudomonas could actually still be present. Cultures are so inconclusive! If Avery is feeling well, I think it is important to go on vacation and enjoy your family time.

T

TonyaH

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Go on vacation. These kids miss out on so much as it is because of time spent on treatments, etc. Enjoy your trip and deal with it when you get back!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Go on vacation. These kids miss out on so much as it is because of time spent on treatments, etc. Enjoy your trip and deal with it when you get back!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Rebjane

Super Moderator
If she does culture pseudomonas could you treat her with oral antibiotics for the vacation and do the hospital stay after your vacation? Just another thought.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
If she does culture pseudomonas could you treat her with oral antibiotics for the vacation and do the hospital stay after your vacation? Just another thought.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

M

Mommafirst

As long as she isn't showing symptoms, I think you should enjoy your trip and let CF wait. Of course you'll probably have to do inhaled and oral abx in the meantime, but if she is not having an active exacerbation, I would want to enjoy the family time!!!

M

Mommafirst

As long as she isn't showing symptoms, I think you should enjoy your trip and let CF wait. Of course you'll probably have to do inhaled and oral abx in the meantime, but if she is not having an active exacerbation, I would want to enjoy the family time!!!

M

Mommafirst