Public Speaking

geckolady

A sorority at my college is hosting a concert at a local cafe type place to benifit the CF foundation.
I contacted the person organizing the event because I was curious about why they chose cff...lucky me, they want me to say a few words! any ideas on how to discribe CF that doesnt involve the word mucus? People will be eating and mostly under the age of 25. sighhh trying to be more up beat but still make it sound like a cause worth supporting

geckolady

A sorority at my college is hosting a concert at a local cafe type place to benifit the CF foundation.
I contacted the person organizing the event because I was curious about why they chose cff...lucky me, they want me to say a few words! any ideas on how to discribe CF that doesnt involve the word mucus? People will be eating and mostly under the age of 25. sighhh trying to be more up beat but still make it sound like a cause worth supporting

geckolady

geckolady

geckolady

<br />I contacted the person organizing the event because I was curious about why they chose cff...lucky me, they want me to say a few words! any ideas on how to discribe CF that doesnt involve the word mucus? People will be eating and mostly under the age of 25. sighhh trying to be more up beat but still make it sound like a cause worth supporting

JazzysMom

You can use the words congestion & inflammation in the lungs AND gi track. As well as point out the statistics of being a carrier.

JazzysMom

You can use the words congestion & inflammation in the lungs AND gi track. As well as point out the statistics of being a carrier.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

Lance2020x

Personally, I don't think people (especially under 25) care much about the technical side of CF. I would briefly state what it 'generally' does to your body, but then describe what it does to your lifestyle. From my experience people care more about routine than bodily function -how it effects your day to day not how it effects your body- and all the upkeep, maintainence etc. us CFers have to live with.
Then (speaking as a former actor/public speaker) I would describe the, err... how do I say this.... "Amazing struggles and hurdles us CFers overcome every single day. Facing life! Struggling against death! Oh how brave and strong we are against such odds!" *dramatic pause* "We need your help!" *flamboyantly dramatic pose*.

Seriously though, the whole "Team Hoite" and Nick Voichich (how ever you spell it) etc. have the whole world wanting to reach out and connect with people who face greater odds, with a better attitude. It makes people go "Wow! What strength! What courage! I want to be a part of that!"
That also makes us CFers look like fighting, strong people who need help, instead of sickly dying children. Helps everybody connect with a strength they want to find in themselves.

Anyway there's my two cents worth. ;-)

Lance2020x

Personally, I don't think people (especially under 25) care much about the technical side of CF. I would briefly state what it 'generally' does to your body, but then describe what it does to your lifestyle. From my experience people care more about routine than bodily function -how it effects your day to day not how it effects your body- and all the upkeep, maintainence etc. us CFers have to live with.
Then (speaking as a former actor/public speaker) I would describe the, err... how do I say this.... "Amazing struggles and hurdles us CFers overcome every single day. Facing life! Struggling against death! Oh how brave and strong we are against such odds!" *dramatic pause* "We need your help!" *flamboyantly dramatic pose*.

Seriously though, the whole "Team Hoite" and Nick Voichich (how ever you spell it) etc. have the whole world wanting to reach out and connect with people who face greater odds, with a better attitude. It makes people go "Wow! What strength! What courage! I want to be a part of that!"
That also makes us CFers look like fighting, strong people who need help, instead of sickly dying children. Helps everybody connect with a strength they want to find in themselves.

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

<br />Then (speaking as a former actor/public speaker) I would describe the, err... how do I say this.... "Amazing struggles and hurdles us CFers overcome every single day. Facing life! Struggling against death! Oh how brave and strong we are against such odds!" *dramatic pause* "We need your help!" *flamboyantly dramatic pose*.
<br />
<br />Seriously though, the whole "Team Hoite" and Nick Voichich (how ever you spell it) etc. have the whole world wanting to reach out and connect with people who face greater odds, with a better attitude. It makes people go "Wow! What strength! What courage! I want to be a part of that!"
<br />That also makes us CFers look like fighting, strong people who need help, instead of sickly dying children. Helps everybody connect with a strength they want to find in themselves.
<br />
<br />Anyway there's my two cents worth. ;-)

lilywing

I spoke at cf functions from the age of 9 through 16, and I hated saying the word mucas, or worse, PHLEGM, as some people refer to it. Just reading it makes me nauseous.
Anyways, I decided to call it something pretty, SPARKLES. I know it is silly to be disgusted by CF on a basic level, or by the verbiage it entails. But I am. I CAN say mucas, but I'm gonna call it SPARKLES.

Everybody has sparkles in their body, but having CF, my sparkles are thickier and stickier than normal. Everyday, I do cpt to get the sparkles out!

You're probably not as unadjusted as me, however! Good luck with your talk!

I apologize in advance to anyone who finds this offensive. Also, to new parents, I feel this way because no one talked to me about mucas when I was younger. I felt everything about CF was gross and embarrasing. You can do better by talking with your CFers about how they feel. Maybe don't yell at them when they cough, and don't send them out of the room if they are coughing. Just a thought.

lilywing

I spoke at cf functions from the age of 9 through 16, and I hated saying the word mucas, or worse, PHLEGM, as some people refer to it. Just reading it makes me nauseous.
Anyways, I decided to call it something pretty, SPARKLES. I know it is silly to be disgusted by CF on a basic level, or by the verbiage it entails. But I am. I CAN say mucas, but I'm gonna call it SPARKLES.

Everybody has sparkles in their body, but having CF, my sparkles are thickier and stickier than normal. Everyday, I do cpt to get the sparkles out!

I apologize in advance to anyone who finds this offensive. Also, to new parents, I feel this way because no one talked to me about mucas when I was younger. I felt everything about CF was gross and embarrasing. You can do better by talking with your CFers about how they feel. Maybe don't yell at them when they cough, and don't send them out of the room if they are coughing. Just a thought.

lilywing

lilywing

lilywing

<br />Anyways, I decided to call it something pretty, SPARKLES. I know it is silly to be disgusted by CF on a basic level, or by the verbiage it entails. But I am. I CAN say mucas, but I'm gonna call it SPARKLES.
<br />
<br />Everybody has sparkles in their body, but having CF, my sparkles are thickier and stickier than normal. Everyday, I do cpt to get the sparkles out!
<br />
<br />You're probably not as unadjusted as me, however! Good luck with your talk!
<br />
<br />I apologize in advance to anyone who finds this offensive. Also, to new parents, I feel this way because no one talked to me about mucas when I was younger. I felt everything about CF was gross and embarrasing. You can do better by talking with your CFers about how they feel. Maybe don't yell at them when they cough, and don't send them out of the room if they are coughing. Just a thought.