Pulmonary MRSA a problem for CFers?

J

jpdub26

Is pulmonary MRSA a significant problem for CFers? Share your thoughts?

chris27rocker

Sorry to say it, but it ruined my life. I never went to the hospital, had 100% lung function, etc until I cultured MRSA in 2005. I started going in every six months, then less, until I spent three months a year inpatient, and the rest of the time on home IVs. I got a transplant in 2013, and now I'm not culturing it anymore; only pseudomonas. I think I acquired it at swim practice, but you never really know. Hope this helps.

keefer11

It really depends on the person. I'm sure there are a lot of Forums about MRSA. Did you culture it for the first time? If so, ask your doctor if you can take antibiotics to try and get rid of it!

Personally, I've had more active infections with MRSA than I had with just the Pseudomonas. At first I was able to get rid of it with IV Vancomycin, but once it was constantly in my lungs, my phlegm got a lot thicker and I have to take antibiotics more regularly because I get infections more often. I feel like I'm constantly phlegmy and my doctor doesn't seem to have any advice on what else I can to to thin the mucus as he says I'm doing everything I can. I do know other people who have MRSA and it doesn't cause them many issues. My brother for example, has had MRSA for many years and has only been on IV's for it once and oral antibiotics a couple of times.

Oboe

I started culturing it in 2009. It's never really been a significant problem for me. My lung function's declined since then, but no more than one would expect from 5 years of normal CF decline. I have been in the hospital more often since, but my FEV1 also in the 20-30% range and has been since before then, so I can't really say if the MRSA is a factor. Sometimes it doesn't even grow in my cultures when I'm in the hospital. Only real difference I've noticed is that they'll usually prefer to put me on vancomycin when I'm in the hospital to cover it.

J

jpdub26

Thank you for sharing. I work with a team at Savara Pharmaceuticals that is currently enrolling patients for a phase 2 clinical trial designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of AeroVanc (vancomycin hydrochloride inhalation powder), the first dry powder inhaled antibiotic for the treatment of MRSA infection in CF patients. If you'd like to learn more about the trial, or think this information might be helpful for someone you know, please visit http://www.aerovanc.com.