Pulmozyme or Hypertonic Saline

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My daughter uses both Pulmozyme and HTS. They do work differently. Pulmozyme works to break up strands of mucous. HTS works to liquify the mucous, to make it easier to cough up and out. I noticed a huge difference when we started my daughter on the HTS, she had already been on Pulmozyme since she was 2 1/2 years old. The HTS she has been on since about 4 years old or so(I forget)...I noticed a huge difference with the HTS..It does make her cough at times especially when she first started.
<br />
<br />Every CF person is different; if I had to choose between pulmozyme and HTS I would choose HTS hands down. But I didn't choose, she does both because she gains a different benefit from each drug...

mjsmama

Our son also used both. He already does vest for 1/2 hour am and pm and the nebs don't take any longer than that.

mjsmama

Our son also used both. He already does vest for 1/2 hour am and pm and the nebs don't take any longer than that.

mjsmama

fourkidsmom

wow- I can't imagine our doctor saying that. My son takes both - we get up very early too - but if it is needed that is what we do.

Good luck with everything. I think I would question the doc.
Angie

fourkidsmom

wow- I can't imagine our doctor saying that. My son takes both - we get up very early too - but if it is needed that is what we do.

Good luck with everything. I think I would question the doc.
Angie

fourkidsmom

<br />
<br />Good luck with everything. I think I would question the doc.
<br />Angie

hmw

Emily coughs every day while vesting but doesn't generally bring up sputum unless she's sick. I do see her swallow though.

I don't think this dr's line of reasoning makes much sense, imo. As everyone else has already brought out, the 2 meds have a different mechanism of action and those with cf often benefit from both. Emily started Pulmozyme about a year ago and we saw a 10% increase in her pft's that has remained consistent while healthy ever since starting, and an increase in productive cough during vesting. So it's clear it's a good med for her. Her dr wants us to consider starting HTS and we'll be trying it in the office after doing an albuteral tx to see how she tolerates it (since it can cause bronchospasm, esp in those with a strong asthma component to their cf.)

Since she does the vest for 30min anyway it won't make out morning sessions any longer to add another neb since her other nebs don't run the whole session; we only do Pulmozyme once a day, at night. It would be worth it to add a little longer to her tx sessions at night for a medication that will help her. Proactive treatment is all he have to fight this disease.

hmw

Emily coughs every day while vesting but doesn't generally bring up sputum unless she's sick. I do see her swallow though.

I don't think this dr's line of reasoning makes much sense, imo. As everyone else has already brought out, the 2 meds have a different mechanism of action and those with cf often benefit from both. Emily started Pulmozyme about a year ago and we saw a 10% increase in her pft's that has remained consistent while healthy ever since starting, and an increase in productive cough during vesting. So it's clear it's a good med for her. Her dr wants us to consider starting HTS and we'll be trying it in the office after doing an albuteral tx to see how she tolerates it (since it can cause bronchospasm, esp in those with a strong asthma component to their cf.)

Since she does the vest for 30min anyway it won't make out morning sessions any longer to add another neb since her other nebs don't run the whole session; we only do Pulmozyme once a day, at night. It would be worth it to add a little longer to her tx sessions at night for a medication that will help her. Proactive treatment is all he have to fight this disease.

hmw

<br />
<br />I don't think this dr's line of reasoning makes much sense, imo. As everyone else has already brought out, the 2 meds have a different mechanism of action and those with cf often benefit from both. Emily started Pulmozyme about a year ago and we saw a 10% increase in her pft's that has remained consistent while healthy ever since starting, and an increase in productive cough during vesting. So it's clear it's a good med for her. Her dr wants us to consider starting HTS and we'll be trying it in the office after doing an albuteral tx to see how she tolerates it (since it can cause bronchospasm, esp in those with a strong asthma component to their cf.)
<br />
<br />Since she does the vest for 30min anyway it won't make out morning sessions any longer to add another neb since her other nebs don't run the whole session; we only do Pulmozyme once a day, at night. It would be worth it to add a little longer to her tx sessions at night for a medication that will help her. Proactive treatment is all he have to fight this disease.

EmmettsMom

Currently my just about 3 y.o. son does albuterol, then HTS, then vest, 2x/day, more when he has a cold/sick.
This is a big choice that I (and my husband) had to make (actually, are still making) for our son----as far as to use or not use pulmozyme. From all of the research that I did, although HTS and pulmozyme work differently (as mentioned), the end goal of both is the same: thin mucous so it can be more easily coughed up/out.
Our doctor (and we got 2nd and 3rd opinions from Columbia
Presbyterian & Johns Hopkins) is not the biggest supporter of pulmozyme, for a few reasons, which I won't go into. He wanted me to do my own research on it b4 he prescribed, which I did. I scoured pubmed, NIH, cochrane database, and any article and opinion I could find on dnase. I have the conclusions to all of the studies that I found in a word document and would be happy to send you (send me a pm). In a nutshell, what I found: 50% of the research supports the use of dnase, 50% says it does not work.
So that left me - and still does leave me - w/the decision to add to his arsenal or not. Currently I have decided against (and it has nothing to do w/time), but am open to using in the future. Maybe I will wait until he can do PFT's or if he gets really sick to try, I don't know. The one thing I know is that it is not unfortunately a miracle drug, but can be and is beneficial to some people. Is my son one of those people - that's the million dollar question.
Our son's doctor has said treating cf is sometimes like playing darts - trying to find the right treatment(s) that will hit the bullseye for the individual.
Good luck with your decision.

EmmettsMom

Currently my just about 3 y.o. son does albuterol, then HTS, then vest, 2x/day, more when he has a cold/sick.
This is a big choice that I (and my husband) had to make (actually, are still making) for our son----as far as to use or not use pulmozyme. From all of the research that I did, although HTS and pulmozyme work differently (as mentioned), the end goal of both is the same: thin mucous so it can be more easily coughed up/out.
Our doctor (and we got 2nd and 3rd opinions from Columbia
Presbyterian & Johns Hopkins) is not the biggest supporter of pulmozyme, for a few reasons, which I won't go into. He wanted me to do my own research on it b4 he prescribed, which I did. I scoured pubmed, NIH, cochrane database, and any article and opinion I could find on dnase. I have the conclusions to all of the studies that I found in a word document and would be happy to send you (send me a pm). In a nutshell, what I found: 50% of the research supports the use of dnase, 50% says it does not work.
So that left me - and still does leave me - w/the decision to add to his arsenal or not. Currently I have decided against (and it has nothing to do w/time), but am open to using in the future. Maybe I will wait until he can do PFT's or if he gets really sick to try, I don't know. The one thing I know is that it is not unfortunately a miracle drug, but can be and is beneficial to some people. Is my son one of those people - that's the million dollar question.
Our son's doctor has said treating cf is sometimes like playing darts - trying to find the right treatment(s) that will hit the bullseye for the individual.
Good luck with your decision.

EmmettsMom

<br />This is a big choice that I (and my husband) had to make (actually, are still making) for our son----as far as to use or not use pulmozyme. From all of the research that I did, although HTS and pulmozyme work differently (as mentioned), the end goal of both is the same: thin mucous so it can be more easily coughed up/out.
<br />Our doctor (and we got 2nd and 3rd opinions from Columbia
<br />Presbyterian & Johns Hopkins) is not the biggest supporter of pulmozyme, for a few reasons, which I won't go into. He wanted me to do my own research on it b4 he prescribed, which I did. I scoured pubmed, NIH, cochrane database, and any article and opinion I could find on dnase. I have the conclusions to all of the studies that I found in a word document and would be happy to send you (send me a pm). In a nutshell, what I found: 50% of the research supports the use of dnase, 50% says it does not work.
<br />So that left me - and still does leave me - w/the decision to add to his arsenal or not. Currently I have decided against (and it has nothing to do w/time), but am open to using in the future. Maybe I will wait until he can do PFT's or if he gets really sick to try, I don't know. The one thing I know is that it is not unfortunately a miracle drug, but can be and is beneficial to some people. Is my son one of those people - that's the million dollar question.
<br />Our son's doctor has said treating cf is sometimes like playing darts - trying to find the right treatment(s) that will hit the bullseye for the individual.
<br />Good luck with your decision.

ashmomo

I couldn't read all the posts above...but wanted to let you know that my daughters use both the Pulmo and the HS. Pulmozyme is once per day (except when sick)...and HS is twice per day. They are def not the same stuff and you should prob use both rather than 1 over the other. Ashlee has done Pulmo since age 2 just as preventative...added HS at age 5.
You could do the pulmoat night and HS in the morning instead of adding more time in the morning.

ashmomo

I couldn't read all the posts above...but wanted to let you know that my daughters use both the Pulmo and the HS. Pulmozyme is once per day (except when sick)...and HS is twice per day. They are def not the same stuff and you should prob use both rather than 1 over the other. Ashlee has done Pulmo since age 2 just as preventative...added HS at age 5.
You could do the pulmoat night and HS in the morning instead of adding more time in the morning.

ashmomo

<br />You could do the pulmoat night and HS in the morning instead of adding more time in the morning.

W

windex125

I have been a faithful user of Pulmo since it came out in the 90'S right? I forget and I swear by it, I have not had a plug in yrs because of this wonderful drug. I also tried HS but it did make me wheeze and gave me a sore throat, so I stoppped it. I use Albuertol 2-3x a day and Pulmo once a day in the morning. Then my oral meds. I am older and my oponion is different. As I read alot of different forums I can't find the right words to express to all you mother's out there with young children,how hard you work to keep yr. children, well. The dedication, commitment,researching your knowledge, it truly touches my heart. At 55 I am at times still questioing my life span, though new issues are here. This site has given me so much insite to many different aspects, and information and I thank you all for the time you take. There is always something to help someone. As Martha quotes It's A Good Thing for sure. women 55- CF/MAC/Staph/hearing loss due to meds/acid reflux/IBS

W

windex125

I have been a faithful user of Pulmo since it came out in the 90'S right? I forget and I swear by it, I have not had a plug in yrs because of this wonderful drug. I also tried HS but it did make me wheeze and gave me a sore throat, so I stoppped it. I use Albuertol 2-3x a day and Pulmo once a day in the morning. Then my oral meds. I am older and my oponion is different. As I read alot of different forums I can't find the right words to express to all you mother's out there with young children,how hard you work to keep yr. children, well. The dedication, commitment,researching your knowledge, it truly touches my heart. At 55 I am at times still questioing my life span, though new issues are here. This site has given me so much insite to many different aspects, and information and I thank you all for the time you take. There is always something to help someone. As Martha quotes It's A Good Thing for sure. women 55- CF/MAC/Staph/hearing loss due to meds/acid reflux/IBS

W

windex125

2girls

We have not started HTS, but I will be sure to ask my pulm next visit. My son does vest for 30min 2x a day and we do albuterol 2x a day and pulmozyme 1x a day since he was 7 months old. He got his vest at 10 months old. Jack has been really healthy since we added the vest/nebs together. Here's hoping for a healthy winter!