Pulmozyme

anonymous

Hi, Recently, when I was sick, my dr. told me to do Pulmozyme 2x a day instead of once. Has anyone else ever heard of this? I don't really see how this could treat an infection. Frankly, as I am doing Tobi as well, I don't want to do 6 nebulizers a day. ~ Mary

anonymous

Yes, they had use do it like that when it was still in clinical trials and it works when you have an infection. Pulmozyme alters the DNA of your mucus and makes it thinner, thus eaiser to cough out. By doing it twice a day, you are just thinnig out that sticky stuff that bacteria loves twice and thishelps you get over it faster. So why no do it twice a day, all the time? Because there are some serious chemical processes taking place and it is never good to overload the body on those. How often are you doing TOBI, and what other nebs are you on? The order I go in is albuterol-pulmozyme-pt-TOBI. You should always do your TOBI AFTER pt so the med has a chance to sit in there and work. If you're strapped for time, maybe do your 2nd pulmozyme while your sitting in bed reading or something. I usually do mine while I watch the news. Do you have a vest? I have cultured for b. cepacia and my doctor told me that in several cases, it is possible to get most of that out with agressive pt and nebs rather than antibiotics.Debbie22 yr old w/ CF in CO

anonymous

My daughter,6, did pulmozyme 2xdaily while in the hospital and then again for two weeks with her Tobi last summer to help clear things out. It did help. She has done pulmozyme once a day since she was two. Michelle

anonymous

I do pulmozyme twice daily and have been doing that for 2 years. When I am sick i do Tobi. 30 year old with CF...Jennifer

anonymous

just to add my two cents..my daughter's regular routine includes dnase once a day...however if we feel she needs a run of tobi...we take her off dnase....our doctor has always made it clear that if she's taking tobi, don't be on dnase at the same time...

anonymous

That's interesting, how old is your daughter? I am just wondering if this is an age related thing, because I have never heard of anyone being taken off Pulmozyme when on Tobi.~ Mary 21 w/ CF

anonymous

I'm not sure why your doc has her come off pulmozyme when on tobi? It's okay to be on them at the same time, just don't mix the two in the nebulizer. Even in the hospital we get Tobra and Pulmozyme.