Pulmozyme

RayRDT

Hello !

For those of you using Pulmozyme (once daily), when do you do it (in the morning, before breakfast, during your lunch hour, in the afternoon, before supper, just before bed, etc.) ? In which order do you do it (just before antibio, etc.) ? Any long term side effects (alteration of voice, etc.) ? Did it help ?

RDT.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS does it once a day before bed. Mainly because he does 3 treatments a day and if he's on Tobi, his a.m. and afterschool treatments would be longer. Once in a very rare while I've noticed a little bit of a "froggy" throat, but only if he's got a cold and I figure it's breaking loose the mucus up his nose and it's running down his throat -- post nasal drip.

RayRDT

The CF Foundation suggests :

1. Bronchodilator
2. Mucus thinning medicines, like Pulmozyme
3. Airway
clearance
4. Inhaled antibiotics

I do/take (in order) : Airomir, 15 min after airway clearance, Symbicort, 15
min after Spiriva and 15 min after Coly-Mycin.

I'm wondering where to integrate Pulmozyme and how long to wait after
it/before it to do the previous/next step ...

RDT.

JennyCoulon

My kids do it once per day at night. We were told to do Albuterol then Vest then Pulmozyme either with vest or after then Advair. This is how we have always done it per our CF centers advise

S

stephen

A number of years ago I had been advised by Genentech and a CF center, to allow about 30 minutes after doing Pulmozyme before inhaling another substance. This is to allow the Pulmozyme to do its thing.

ponytails

I was just freaking out about the order of Pulmozyme and The Vest. At night my daughter did Albuterol then Pulmozyme with the vest. But i was in a CF group on line and some were saying Vest then Pulmozyme, others saying Pulmozyme then vest AFTER!! They cannot both be the correct way to do our childrens treatments!! What is the truth??

RayRDT

Pulmozyme makes the phlegm more liquidy so you can cough it up easier. Definitely Pulmo before vest (wait 30 min before doing the vest so it has time to work). Look also on the cff website, they state the recommandations.

lilmac1177

i do Pulmozyme twice a day, in the morning and at nite (i've been told most patients are on it once a day?)...

treatment regimen as follows:
-albuterol neb
-HTS
-Pulmozyme (i've never heard of waiting half hour to do vest but not to say that's not correct)
-vest
-inhaled antibiotic

R

RytheStunner

You can use your mucus thinning/breaking medications (HTS, Pulmozyme) DURING the Vest. Some patients may choose to do this differently because some have a more difficult time breathing doing both at the same time, but the general suggestions is that those medications can be done with the Vest. Antibiotic must always come after and must NOT be done during the Vest.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Ds does albuterol/atrovent Nebs while vesting followed by pulmozyme. Only thing you shouldn't vest with is inhaled antibiotics

4hats

I do my hypertonic saline while I vest. After my vest I do my Pulmozyme. I was doing the Pulmozyme after the saline while vesting, but my sister who has cf said she did it after her vesting and coughing was done since Pulmozyme needs to 'sit' there in the lungs to do its' thing. This made sense to me and that's what I am doing now. Yes, the inhaled meds do change your voice a bit. So far so good with Pulmozyme though. Thanks sis.

I do Albuterol, HTS and Pulmozyme while doing my vest. Then I do the inhaled antibiotic. This is what the Respiratory Therapist in my CF Center tells me to do. She told me it was okay to do Pulmozyme while vesting, but after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if I might should NOT vest while doing Pulmozyme.

T

TonyaH

My son does twice a day:
albuterol
HTS neb
Vest or Flutter
TOBI neb

I the evening he adds in pulmozyme neb after HTS and before airway clearance.