Pulmozyne

RosieD

I am 11 weeks and my Lung DR just put me one Pulmozyne, It has been the miracle I have been looking for....BUT my OB says its a class C and I should not take it unless really needed. I am torn on what to do, did anyone else take this during pregnancy?

Diana Age 32 (CF)- Extremely blessed with 3 beautiful daughters (no CF)

Kristen

According to a quick search on Google and the prescribing information in my box of Pulmozyme, your OB is incorrect and it is a Pregnancy Category B. I would definitely take it during pregnancy.

mamaScarlett

It is a category B med.
I took it with both pregnancies, however I was very conservative and opted to delay taking it till my 2nd trimester. It was no problem stopping it for those weeks the first pregnancy. However the 2nd pregnancy, my lungs missed my pulmozyme alot.
So whatever you do, know you assume some, even if its slight, risk from stopping it.
I do think my decision was probably overkill. I just wanted to be extra cautious. I tend to err more on that side in general, but I know lots of mom that took it no problem!

K

kross10911

I was just put on it yesterday, its a cat. B I am reluctant to add yet another med to my body and being 8 weeks pregnant. But i do know if i cant keep myself healthy then im not doing any good to my baby.

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kross10911</b></i> I was just put on it yesterday, its a cat. B I am reluctant to add yet another med to my body and being 8 weeks pregnant. But i do know if i cant keep myself healthy then im not doing any good to my baby.</end quote>
You're right. And my reasoning was always-if I don't take this low risk medication, then chances are high I'll need a higher risk medication. Then I'll really be stressed out.
Another thing I'd do differently, having been through 2 pregnancies, is rest more, especially in those early months. Set a good tone for the rest of your pregnancy. I felt so good pregnant, that I wanted to be out, doing things. But in reality I was more compromised than others and I now believe that resting during the 1st trimester is just as valuable as the strongest drug you can take.

liz26ny

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have continued my Pulmozyme twice a day so far. My OB seemed to have no problem with me taking pulmozyme as it is a Category B drug. Today after talking to my CF doctor, he feels I should cut down to once a day for the remaining weeks of my 1st trimester. I am now a little worried that I have been doing it twice a day up until this point. My OB and CF doctor seem to have some differences of opinion on what I should or should not take during pregnancy and I am trying to find a balance between the two.