Question about drop in PFT's - 25-75

Justinsmama

Hi,

I have a question that maybe someone might have thoughts on. My 8 year old son has had several "infections" or flares since Feb. In March he had just finished a round of predn and his 25/75 was at the highes it has been for him, a 97%, 25 was 99%, 50 was 83% and 75 was 71%. I am assuming it is normal for the smaller airways to be a little lower. In the past three months, he ended back on an antibiotic in May and 15 days of predn, Singulair 160 and Qvair 40 which we stayed on to keep his small airways open. I thought when we went back on Friday, his 25-75 would still be good. Unfortunately, it came back 77%, 25 - 92%, 50 - 74% and 75 - 48%. Overall, it was a 20% drop. Our doctor said the three things that could cause a drop like this are 1. inflamation 2. infection 3. mucus plugs. Since he has been on a lot of steroids (3 rounds of oral and the 2 inhaled) and he is on both saline and pulmozyme with vest twice a day, she thought it must be infection. He has only cultured Staph in the past year, and H. Influ and Strep before that. He started the antibiotic on Friday, but I am noticing some cough and shortness of breath. Any thoughts? Our doc said the cultures may not be acurate because he did not cough up on his own, only the induced gag cough. Anyone have an infection experience where only the 25-75 dropped? Would the inhaled steroids keep the FVC and FEF1 from dropping? His FVC actually went up a little and his FEV1 only went down 6%. Would pseudomonas do this? His appointment was Friday and I am assuming that since I did not get a call yet, it might be nothing that showed up on the culture.

Thank you in advance.

Justin's Mama(FART)