Question about home health care

Allisa35

I was just wondering if any of you that use home health care for your IV antibiotic treatment ever use peripheral IV's (in the hand) instead of PICC lines? I don't know if they allow you to do that or if you have to have a PICC or port for home heath care. I'm sure it also varies from place to place, but I just thought I'd check. I think my time for IV antibiotics is fast approaching and there is no way I can do a PICC. Just curious!

Allisa35

I was just wondering if any of you that use home health care for your IV antibiotic treatment ever use peripheral IV's (in the hand) instead of PICC lines? I don't know if they allow you to do that or if you have to have a PICC or port for home heath care. I'm sure it also varies from place to place, but I just thought I'd check. I think my time for IV antibiotics is fast approaching and there is no way I can do a PICC. Just curious!

Allisa35

Allisa35

Allisa35

blindhearted

I'm not sure, I have always used a port, Picc or Medline. I'm sure you can call the home health care company that you use, as for the supervisor/manager and ask them if they can do that, or see what their policy is on peripheral IVs. Since peripheral IVs have a higher chance of blowing and may need replacing more often, some companies might have a problem with it. Your doctor might even have an issue with it as well. You might want to check with your doctor too.

blindhearted

I'm not sure, I have always used a port, Picc or Medline. I'm sure you can call the home health care company that you use, as for the supervisor/manager and ask them if they can do that, or see what their policy is on peripheral IVs. Since peripheral IVs have a higher chance of blowing and may need replacing more often, some companies might have a problem with it. Your doctor might even have an issue with it as well. You might want to check with your doctor too.

blindhearted

blindhearted

blindhearted

Sevenstars

Just wondering, why is there "no way" you can do a PICC? A course of IVs generally runs 10-14 days at best, and even if your veins are good you'll probably need a new IV every 2-3 days, and they are much more unstable than a PICC. You can barely use the hand/arm it's in, or else it will blow. At any rate, I've never heard of home healthcare using peripheral IVs for IV meds, but they might. It would definitely require a lot more home nursing, which might be hard to get covered.

Sevenstars

Just wondering, why is there "no way" you can do a PICC? A course of IVs generally runs 10-14 days at best, and even if your veins are good you'll probably need a new IV every 2-3 days, and they are much more unstable than a PICC. You can barely use the hand/arm it's in, or else it will blow. At any rate, I've never heard of home healthcare using peripheral IVs for IV meds, but they might. It would definitely require a lot more home nursing, which might be hard to get covered.

Sevenstars

Sevenstars

Sevenstars

Allisa35

Thanks for the replies. To answer Sevenstars question about the PICC line, I am VERY bad with needles. The thought of a getting a PICC line brings me to tears. I haven't been in the hospital (or on any IV therapy) for probably 20-21 years. My doctor knows how I feel about needles and we discussed this at my last visit, although I didn't think about the home health care at that time. He knows if I do go into the hospital that I want peripheral IV's. I know most people probably just think I'm being a "baby" and need to suck it up, but I am just scared to death of needles. I struggle with just having to get blood drawn.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably just going to wait and see how things go. I may contact the home heath care company to see what their policy is on the matter. My husband is an EMT-I , so he deals with iv's often, but I don't know if that would make a difference to them or not.

Allisa35

Thanks for the replies. To answer Sevenstars question about the PICC line, I am VERY bad with needles. The thought of a getting a PICC line brings me to tears. I haven't been in the hospital (or on any IV therapy) for probably 20-21 years. My doctor knows how I feel about needles and we discussed this at my last visit, although I didn't think about the home health care at that time. He knows if I do go into the hospital that I want peripheral IV's. I know most people probably just think I'm being a "baby" and need to suck it up, but I am just scared to death of needles. I struggle with just having to get blood drawn.

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably just going to wait and see how things go. I may contact the home heath care company to see what their policy is on the matter. My husband is an EMT-I , so he deals with iv's often, but I don't know if that would make a difference to them or not.

Allisa35

Allisa35

Allisa35

<br />
<br />Thanks for the replies. I'm probably just going to wait and see how things go. I may contact the home heath care company to see what their policy is on the matter. My husband is an EMT-I , so he deals with iv's often, but I don't know if that would make a difference to them or not.