Question about Invitro and CF

SARAHSARAH253

Megan,

Hi there, You responded to my question abuot PGD...I never thought I would be asking questions about these toppics...It took me only two weeks to get pregnant with our son...I thought it was sooo easy...Now, everything has changed when it comes to the idea of making more children. Since our two month old was born with CF in Sept. I have not stopped thinking about our future children. I'm thinknig PGD would be the best for us. I don't think I could handle another child being at risk of CF, or the idea of an abortion. My question is did you and your husband pay or did you get your insurance company to pay. If you did what should we expect to pay out of pocket..I'm thinking its around 15,000. - 20,000. But have no one to talk to about it with....I'm planning on calling our local Genetic Office in Seattle in the next couple of months....Is it worth asking the insurance company or should we just plan to pay the entire cost. Thanks for any or your tips...

Sarah

SARAHSARAH253

Megan,

Hi there, You responded to my question abuot PGD...I never thought I would be asking questions about these toppics...It took me only two weeks to get pregnant with our son...I thought it was sooo easy...Now, everything has changed when it comes to the idea of making more children. Since our two month old was born with CF in Sept. I have not stopped thinking about our future children. I'm thinknig PGD would be the best for us. I don't think I could handle another child being at risk of CF, or the idea of an abortion. My question is did you and your husband pay or did you get your insurance company to pay. If you did what should we expect to pay out of pocket..I'm thinking its around 15,000. - 20,000. But have no one to talk to about it with....I'm planning on calling our local Genetic Office in Seattle in the next couple of months....Is it worth asking the insurance company or should we just plan to pay the entire cost. Thanks for any or your tips...

Sarah

SARAHSARAH253

Megan,

Sarah

SARAHSARAH253

Megan,

Sarah

SARAHSARAH253

Megan,

Sarah

M

mneville

Hi Sara. We were in the exact same position. We got pregnant with Aidan right when we started trying. We NEVER imagined going through IVF/PGD. We had no idea it existed until months after Aidan's diagnosis. But we felt it was the best option for us.

I kept telling myself that there are thousands of women who can't get pregnant at all and at least I had Aidan if it didn't work. We felt it was worth the shot. It was one of the best decisions we have ever made.

My insurance covered the IVF but would not cover the PGD even after we appealed and had many doctors write letters. First, I would contact Genesis Genetics (www.genesisgenetics.com). They can tell you about IVF centers that they work with in your state. Then make an appt at the IVF center and they will usually deal with the insurance part. We needed an initial referral for the IVF center appt. It seemed SO overwhelming at first and we waited about 2 years after Aidan before trying it. It can be a long process so it's best to get the ball rolling (at least you can figure out finances). Email me privately if you want.

Megan

M

mneville

Hi Sara. We were in the exact same position. We got pregnant with Aidan right when we started trying. We NEVER imagined going through IVF/PGD. We had no idea it existed until months after Aidan's diagnosis. But we felt it was the best option for us.

I kept telling myself that there are thousands of women who can't get pregnant at all and at least I had Aidan if it didn't work. We felt it was worth the shot. It was one of the best decisions we have ever made.

My insurance covered the IVF but would not cover the PGD even after we appealed and had many doctors write letters. First, I would contact Genesis Genetics (www.genesisgenetics.com). They can tell you about IVF centers that they work with in your state. Then make an appt at the IVF center and they will usually deal with the insurance part. We needed an initial referral for the IVF center appt. It seemed SO overwhelming at first and we waited about 2 years after Aidan before trying it. It can be a long process so it's best to get the ball rolling (at least you can figure out finances). Email me privately if you want.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

newmom36

I have just found out that my unborn child has CF and I feel like I am failing them already as a parent. Me & my husband have already decided to do IVF with genetic testing next time around. This time was IUI and we didn't test prior, if we had, we would have gone strait to genetic testing. I just want to give them the best shot at life.

newmom36

I have just found out that my unborn child has CF and I feel like I am failing them already as a parent. Me & my husband have already decided to do IVF with genetic testing next time around. This time was IUI and we didn't test prior, if we had, we would have gone strait to genetic testing. I just want to give them the best shot at life.

newmom36

newmom36

newmom36

aannddd

Sarah,

I had IVF with PGD and became pregnant with my second child in 2005. We found we were carriers during my pregnancy with my first son, who turned out just to be a carrier.

Our PGD failed and we found out our second son (now age 1) had CF at 5 days of age from his newborn screening.

I did convince our insurance company to pay for both the PGD and IVF. It took lots of letter writing and many disputes of claims after the fact, but 2 rounds and IVF cost a grand total of about $300 ($30 co-pays for a few select DR. visits and drug co-pays).

If you have any questions about the process, I would be happy to answer questions. I work in the Human Resources profession and am well versed in benefits.

Andrea

aannddd

Sarah,

I had IVF with PGD and became pregnant with my second child in 2005. We found we were carriers during my pregnancy with my first son, who turned out just to be a carrier.

Our PGD failed and we found out our second son (now age 1) had CF at 5 days of age from his newborn screening.

I did convince our insurance company to pay for both the PGD and IVF. It took lots of letter writing and many disputes of claims after the fact, but 2 rounds and IVF cost a grand total of about $300 ($30 co-pays for a few select DR. visits and drug co-pays).

If you have any questions about the process, I would be happy to answer questions. I work in the Human Resources profession and am well versed in benefits.

Andrea

aannddd

Sarah,

Andrea

aannddd

Sarah,

Andrea

aannddd

Sarah,

Andrea