Question about Pulmozyme

rubiesmom

Hi everyone, I dont post very often but I read this site all the time..you're all awesome. Today was Rubies first day doing her pulmozyme, we have never used a compresser or Neb before. I read everything thoroughly and we did it just like the directions said. I know that it is a mucus thinner, is it supposed to make her cough? I'm asking because she didn't cough at all, does it mean I did it wrong? Rubie has been on Augmentin for the past month and a half because she had staph, her cough has been gone for about 3 weeks now with the antibiotic. I know my question may sound stupid. I'm new to all this CF stuff and I just want to make sure I'm doing things right for my little one. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks everyone

Liz- mom to Rubie 6 w/CF

rubiesmom

Hi everyone, I dont post very often but I read this site all the time..you're all awesome. Today was Rubies first day doing her pulmozyme, we have never used a compresser or Neb before. I read everything thoroughly and we did it just like the directions said. I know that it is a mucus thinner, is it supposed to make her cough? I'm asking because she didn't cough at all, does it mean I did it wrong? Rubie has been on Augmentin for the past month and a half because she had staph, her cough has been gone for about 3 weeks now with the antibiotic. I know my question may sound stupid. I'm new to all this CF stuff and I just want to make sure I'm doing things right for my little one. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks everyone

Liz- mom to Rubie 6 w/CF

rubiesmom

Thanks everyone

Liz- mom to Rubie 6 w/CF

JazzysMom

The idea is not to provoke a cough, but to help thin the mucous so when you she does cough it will come up easier.

JazzysMom

The idea is not to provoke a cough, but to help thin the mucous so when you she does cough it will come up easier.

JazzysMom

NoExcuses

Her mucus might be too thick to mobilize and cough up.

After taking pulmozyme, the mucus may become thin enough for her to now be able to cough up.

So if you're hearing her cough, it's a good thing. Hopefully she'll be getting up mucus that she wasn't able to get up before.

With some people, a small minority of the CF population, Pulmozyme can cause bronchospasm (airways opening and closing rapidly). This will be a bunch of successive coughs (not being able to stop) and is usually not a productive cough.

Bottomline - 9 times out of a 10 a cough with Pulmozyme will be a good thing.

NoExcuses

After taking pulmozyme, the mucus may become thin enough for her to now be able to cough up.

So if you're hearing her cough, it's a good thing. Hopefully she'll be getting up mucus that she wasn't able to get up before.

With some people, a small minority of the CF population, Pulmozyme can cause bronchospasm (airways opening and closing rapidly). This will be a bunch of successive coughs (not being able to stop) and is usually not a productive cough.

NoExcuses

OperaMama

Supposed to be preventative for now-- as Melissa said, when she does have a cough, it will help a lot then. I mean, I infer!!! My boy has no cough yet either-- for which we are verrrrrrrrry grateful!

OperaMama

Supposed to be preventative for now-- as Melissa said, when she does have a cough, it will help a lot then. I mean, I infer!!! My boy has no cough yet either-- for which we are verrrrrrrrry grateful!

OperaMama

mommy2cass

Our daughter started Pulmozyne 3mo. ago and does not cough after or during her treatment. She had a mild morning cough and thats why they prescibed pulmozyne. I do notice she has more of a runny nose though.

mommy2cass

Our daughter started Pulmozyne 3mo. ago and does not cough after or during her treatment. She had a mild morning cough and thats why they prescibed pulmozyne. I do notice she has more of a runny nose though.

mommy2cass

Alyssa

Nothing new to add: ditto to everyone else

Pulmozyme doesn't usually make a person cough
Hypertonic Saline can, but not always

Not a silly question at all! You are doing great! Keep up the good work.

Alyssa

Nothing new to add: ditto to everyone else

Pulmozyme doesn't usually make a person cough
Hypertonic Saline can, but not always

Not a silly question at all! You are doing great! Keep up the good work.