Question about school lunches and enzymes for school

Rebjane

Super Moderator
School is just around the corner. I am wondering how you organize your child's lunch and snacks, water and drink supply and enzyme dosing and dispensing for the young kids. My daughter is starting kindergarten and will have snack and lunch, and I am guessing another afternoon snack. The teacher will give the enzymes. When she went to camp, I would label each food item with the amount of enzymes she needs for each food. The problem is sometimes she would not finish her snack/ lunch; or maybe eat more than I thought. She tended to get more upset tummies than when I am around keeping track of what she is eating or encouraging her to finish. I am afraid when she goes to school, this will happen. Do you have your child bring home their water bottle each day to wash as well? I know she will be able to keep a bottle at her desk; but leaving them at school (I guess I am answering my own question) would leave the water bottle a germ fest. Also, what types of snacks and lunch items do you KNOW your child will eat? Always looking for ideas. Looking to hear what works well for others; as my daughter has severe pancreatic insuffiency.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
School is just around the corner. I am wondering how you organize your child's lunch and snacks, water and drink supply and enzyme dosing and dispensing for the young kids. My daughter is starting kindergarten and will have snack and lunch, and I am guessing another afternoon snack. The teacher will give the enzymes. When she went to camp, I would label each food item with the amount of enzymes she needs for each food. The problem is sometimes she would not finish her snack/ lunch; or maybe eat more than I thought. She tended to get more upset tummies than when I am around keeping track of what she is eating or encouraging her to finish. I am afraid when she goes to school, this will happen. Do you have your child bring home their water bottle each day to wash as well? I know she will be able to keep a bottle at her desk; but leaving them at school (I guess I am answering my own question) would leave the water bottle a germ fest. Also, what types of snacks and lunch items do you KNOW your child will eat? Always looking for ideas. Looking to hear what works well for others; as my daughter has severe pancreatic insuffiency.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

dswilson67

This is what I did, we simply sent a bottle of enzymes to the school with a form filled out by the doctor. The school nurse or if the school is too small for a nurse the secretary filled in for that job. Dan never had a certain foods had certain number of enzymes, it was a flat number 6 with meals, 3 with snacks, unless you knew it was going to be an abnormally large meal/fatty meal then you would supplement with additional enzymes. Are you planning on sending lunches, or going with school lunches? If you send your own lunches you will have more control of the food being eaten. Try and send a meal with the same amount of enzymes, otherwise it will be too confusing for the school and they may give too many or too little. Most importantly, keep a good line of communication open with the school since they will be caring for your little one when she is away from you.

dswilson67

This is what I did, we simply sent a bottle of enzymes to the school with a form filled out by the doctor. The school nurse or if the school is too small for a nurse the secretary filled in for that job. Dan never had a certain foods had certain number of enzymes, it was a flat number 6 with meals, 3 with snacks, unless you knew it was going to be an abnormally large meal/fatty meal then you would supplement with additional enzymes. Are you planning on sending lunches, or going with school lunches? If you send your own lunches you will have more control of the food being eaten. Try and send a meal with the same amount of enzymes, otherwise it will be too confusing for the school and they may give too many or too little. Most importantly, keep a good line of communication open with the school since they will be caring for your little one when she is away from you.

dswilson67

dswilson67

dswilson67

leigh12

blake also has a "set amount" of enzymes per meal and i make his lunches for school so i know what he is going to have. one of the co-ordinators from his hospital encouraged us to let blake do it himself because as she said he should begin to learn some responsibility for his cf. His school was not the most helpful but i went to speak to his class teacher and she was great. we got a special enzyme pill carrier from the hospital and it holds about 16 and has a slide top(easy for them to use). His teacher would gently remind him if he didn't take them but blake love his little carrier and also at the end of the day i could easily see how many he had actually taken. another suggestion we had from the hospital was to use cling wrap and when you wrap the sandwich put in exactly how many enzxymes they need to take so they see them when they open it. good luck i hope that you find a way that suits both of you!
cheers leigh

leigh12

blake also has a "set amount" of enzymes per meal and i make his lunches for school so i know what he is going to have. one of the co-ordinators from his hospital encouraged us to let blake do it himself because as she said he should begin to learn some responsibility for his cf. His school was not the most helpful but i went to speak to his class teacher and she was great. we got a special enzyme pill carrier from the hospital and it holds about 16 and has a slide top(easy for them to use). His teacher would gently remind him if he didn't take them but blake love his little carrier and also at the end of the day i could easily see how many he had actually taken. another suggestion we had from the hospital was to use cling wrap and when you wrap the sandwich put in exactly how many enzxymes they need to take so they see them when they open it. good luck i hope that you find a way that suits both of you!
cheers leigh

leigh12

cheers leigh

leigh12

cheers leigh

leigh12

<br />cheers leigh

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We just have a set amount. Currently at preschool they give 6 enzymes with meals and 3 with snacks.

We were told the teacher will be dispensing his enzymes in the classroom and we're to fill out a form. We're assuming that they won't be working with him on eating or pushing extra calories, as they do in preschool, so there probablyl won't be an issue with him not getting enough enzymes. Sigh...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
We just have a set amount. Currently at preschool they give 6 enzymes with meals and 3 with snacks.

We were told the teacher will be dispensing his enzymes in the classroom and we're to fill out a form. We're assuming that they won't be working with him on eating or pushing extra calories, as they do in preschool, so there probablyl won't be an issue with him not getting enough enzymes. Sigh...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />We were told the teacher will be dispensing his enzymes in the classroom and we're to fill out a form. We're assuming that they won't be working with him on eating or pushing extra calories, as they do in preschool, so there probablyl won't be an issue with him not getting enough enzymes. Sigh...