Question about when to give vitamins with Cipro

ehtansky21

I think the problem is magnesium....it can interact with the antibiotic and make it less effective..
<br />we just make sure that the boys take their magnesium 4 hours after their antibiotics.
<br />don't forget that about the probiotics too. The antibiotics will kill the probiotics and make them useless.
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

theLostMiler

I also stop taking my vitamins during Cipro/Levaquin rounds... Its dumb b/c the vitamins will help me feel better but I struggle with watching the clock at exactly 2 hours before or 6 hours after blah blah blah.

Its calcium and magnesium and iron that you arent supposed to have with it I believe.

And if cipro is 2 or 3 times a day, and my vitamins are 2 times a day... and I normally take my vitamins in the am and pm, I move my antibiotics to am and pm. Sometimes I'll remember to take one set of vitamins with lunch, but not always.

theLostMiler

I also stop taking my vitamins during Cipro/Levaquin rounds... Its dumb b/c the vitamins will help me feel better but I struggle with watching the clock at exactly 2 hours before or 6 hours after blah blah blah.

Its calcium and magnesium and iron that you arent supposed to have with it I believe.

And if cipro is 2 or 3 times a day, and my vitamins are 2 times a day... and I normally take my vitamins in the am and pm, I move my antibiotics to am and pm. Sometimes I'll remember to take one set of vitamins with lunch, but not always.

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />Its calcium and magnesium and iron that you arent supposed to have with it I believe.
<br />
<br />And if cipro is 2 or 3 times a day, and my vitamins are 2 times a day... and I normally take my vitamins in the am and pm, I move my antibiotics to am and pm. Sometimes I'll remember to take one set of vitamins with lunch, but not always.

fourkidsmom

hummmm interesting. my son has been on cypro for over 2 yrs and he takes 4 times a day. Usually we do the cypro with vitamins in the morning. Never knew annything about not taking with vitamins. we have never had any issues.

fourkidsmom

hummmm interesting. my son has been on cypro for over 2 yrs and he takes 4 times a day. Usually we do the cypro with vitamins in the morning. Never knew annything about not taking with vitamins. we have never had any issues.

fourkidsmom

<br />
<br />

hmw

It's something that may not be noticeable. It's not an obvious side effect (i.e. vomiting or diarrhea) but rather something that impacts the med's effectiveness.

From <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.drugs.com/cipro.html">drugs.com > Cipro</a>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><b>What should I avoid while taking Cipro?</b>

You may be taking certain other medicines that should not be taken at the same time as Cipro. Avoid taking the following medicines within 6 hours before or 2 hours after you take Cipro. These other medicines can make ciprofloxacin much less effective when taken at the same time:

*antacids that contain calcium, magnesium or aluminum (such as Tums, Mylanta, or Rolaids);
*the ulcer medicine sucralfate (Carafate);
*didanosine (Videx) powder or chewable tablets; or
*vitamin or mineral supplements that contain calcium, iron, or zinc.</end quote></div>

hmw

It's something that may not be noticeable. It's not an obvious side effect (i.e. vomiting or diarrhea) but rather something that impacts the med's effectiveness.

From <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.drugs.com/cipro.html">drugs.com > Cipro</a>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><b>What should I avoid while taking Cipro?</b>

You may be taking certain other medicines that should not be taken at the same time as Cipro. Avoid taking the following medicines within 6 hours before or 2 hours after you take Cipro. These other medicines can make ciprofloxacin much less effective when taken at the same time:

*antacids that contain calcium, magnesium or aluminum (such as Tums, Mylanta, or Rolaids);
*the ulcer medicine sucralfate (Carafate);
*didanosine (Videx) powder or chewable tablets; or
*vitamin or mineral supplements that contain calcium, iron, or zinc.</end quote>

hmw

<br />
<br />From <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.drugs.com/cipro.html">drugs.com > Cipro</a>
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><b>What should I avoid while taking Cipro?</b>
<br />
<br />You may be taking certain other medicines that should not be taken at the same time as Cipro. Avoid taking the following medicines within 6 hours before or 2 hours after you take Cipro. These other medicines can make ciprofloxacin much less effective when taken at the same time:
<br />
<br /> *antacids that contain calcium, magnesium or aluminum (such as Tums, Mylanta, or Rolaids);
<br /> *the ulcer medicine sucralfate (Carafate);
<br /> *didanosine (Videx) powder or chewable tablets; or
<br /> *vitamin or mineral supplements that contain calcium, iron, or zinc.</end quote>
<br />