Question for NAC users

Kristen

Can you tell that it helps you? If so, how? Do you cough less? Get sick less often? Have more energy?
I have been taking PharmaNAC for about 6 months, and I can't really say that I am noticing a difference in my health. Other things, like hypertonic saline and pulmozyme, I can definitely tell help because I can breath better and cough less.
I know the Stanford study showed it reduced markers of inflammation, so I'm hesitant to stop taking it, but, at the same time, it's not exactly cheap am I'm not sure it's worth it if I don't notice it helps. Is the benefit of reduced inflammation something more subtle?

Incomudrox

You aren't going to notice the benefits of NAC now persay or ever because that means it's doing it's job. NAC increases glutathione levels which clean up hypochlorous acid which otherwise would be sitting in your lungs/mucus oxidizing everything and causing lung damage. So in short if you stop doing it you will notice no immediate change in the long term it may prevent lung damage. The problem with CF is not 100% the mucus sitting in the airways it's the fact that the mucus is full of our immune system's defective hypochlorous acid that has nowhere to do so it just causes damage. Our hypochlorous acid doesn't work correctly and is inefficient at killing bacteria in our airways especially PA. Our immune system doesn't know any better so it just keeps throwing out tons and tons of it only for it to pile up in our airways and oxidize everything until it fibrosis' and dies.