Question for o2 Users

stillkicking

Quick question for those of you with experience in this area, or those who may know without experience. How low were your O2 sats before you went on oxygen? Particularly for those who use O2 at night, what were your sats dropping down to before? I've read that anything below 90% isn't good, but I've also read other's were dropping down into the 50's and 60's when they went on O2. I want to know how low I can go before I have to commit to the O2. I will have an oximeter in the next few days so I can see where I'm at overnight or for longer periods of time. But my quick checks I'm already down around 85-87% when I'm sitting still, however I don't find anything more difficult than when I'm in the 90's. I'm just curious and would appreciate any imput. Sorry this may all sound a bit weird, but I just like to do things myself. Whenever I've worn oxygen for medical procedures I've hated it, so I'm anxious not to go on it. I know the symptoms of low oxygen, fatigue, headaches, but I've had those symptoms for years even when my PFT's were much better, I've learned to live with it. I know it can lead to brain damage and heart problems but I've heard that only occurs when your down in the 50's & 60's. I had a friend tell me you can wait for oxygen therapy till your in the 70's (O2 sat %'s). Sorry I guess that wasn't such a quick question after all. Thanks for any imput.

stillkicking

Quick question for those of you with experience in this area, or those who may know without experience. How low were your O2 sats before you went on oxygen? Particularly for those who use O2 at night, what were your sats dropping down to before? I've read that anything below 90% isn't good, but I've also read other's were dropping down into the 50's and 60's when they went on O2. I want to know how low I can go before I have to commit to the O2. I will have an oximeter in the next few days so I can see where I'm at overnight or for longer periods of time. But my quick checks I'm already down around 85-87% when I'm sitting still, however I don't find anything more difficult than when I'm in the 90's. I'm just curious and would appreciate any imput. Sorry this may all sound a bit weird, but I just like to do things myself. Whenever I've worn oxygen for medical procedures I've hated it, so I'm anxious not to go on it. I know the symptoms of low oxygen, fatigue, headaches, but I've had those symptoms for years even when my PFT's were much better, I've learned to live with it. I know it can lead to brain damage and heart problems but I've heard that only occurs when your down in the 50's & 60's. I had a friend tell me you can wait for oxygen therapy till your in the 70's (O2 sat %'s). Sorry I guess that wasn't such a quick question after all. Thanks for any imput.

stillkicking

stillkicking

stillkicking

JazzysMom

I dont think I would have know right away if I wasnt in the hospital being monitored. Even now a days if I put my 02 sat monitor on & its lower then what I expected I am surprised.

I think that is how some people are able to desat so slow before getting it. Medicare requires you to drop to 88%, but I think most doctors dont want you below 90% & my doctors dont want me below 93%.

My not being able to tell is scary to my CF Team because I could be doing harm unknowlingly to body organs. I would think if I ever got lower then 79% which is my lowest that I would know it, but I wouldnt bet my life on it.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

I dont think I would have know right away if I wasnt in the hospital being monitored. Even now a days if I put my 02 sat monitor on & its lower then what I expected I am surprised.

I think that is how some people are able to desat so slow before getting it. Medicare requires you to drop to 88%, but I think most doctors dont want you below 90% & my doctors dont want me below 93%.

My not being able to tell is scary to my CF Team because I could be doing harm unknowlingly to body organs. I would think if I ever got lower then 79% which is my lowest that I would know it, but I wouldnt bet my life on it.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

LisaV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i> I had a friend tell me you can wait for oxygen therapy till your in the 70's (O2 sat %'s). </end quote></div>

I'd ask your doctor this question.
or ask some outside expert like the Lung Line <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/contact/lung/index.aspx">http://www.nationaljewish.org/contact/lung/index.aspx</a> at National Jewish

I suspect that your friend is just telling you what you want to hear.....

An arterial blood gas test is more specific than just SATs but it's not a pleasant test and not something you'll be doing several times a day...
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/copd/mgmt/oxy-therapy/index.aspx">http://www.nationaljewish.org/...oxy-therapy/index.aspx</a>

LisaV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i> I had a friend tell me you can wait for oxygen therapy till your in the 70's (O2 sat %'s). </end quote></div>

or ask some outside expert like the Lung Line <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/contact/lung/index.aspx">http://www.nationaljewish.org/contact/lung/index.aspx</a> at National Jewish

An arterial blood gas test is more specific than just SATs but it's not a pleasant test and not something you'll be doing several times a day...
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/copd/mgmt/oxy-therapy/index.aspx">http://www.nationaljewish.org/...oxy-therapy/index.aspx</a>

LisaV

LisaV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i> I had a friend tell me you can wait for oxygen therapy till your in the 70's (O2 sat %'s). </end quote>

LisaV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>stillkicking</b></i> I had a friend tell me you can wait for oxygen therapy till your in the 70's (O2 sat %'s). </end quote>

coltsfan715

Anything below 90 you need to be using supplemental O2.

You may NOT feel a difference - or at least you may not think you feel a difference in the saturation levels, but your body does feel different.

Simple things like being tired more often, getting headaches, being cranky, being confused, unable to focus, clumsy and so on can all be indicators of low O2. Just because you may not feel an immediate difference when you desat below 90-91ish doesn't mean that your body isn't being damaged (as Mel mentioned). Every - EVERY - organ needs O2. The lower your O2 the harder those organs have to work.

For instance when I was listed for my transplant my O2 sats hovered around 88-92 when I was awake. When I slept I desatted into the 70s without O2. Being at THAT level my docs told me that if I did not use O2 full time that I ran the risk of needing a heart and lung transplant.

I know - trust me I KNOW - the resistance to using O2 and can fully appreciate it, but do not be naive and trust the word of untrained professionals (i.e. not your doc) if they are telling you that you are fine and do not need O2 until your sats are into the 70s. For that matter you do not even have to take our word here. Call your doctor and ask them they will tell you what is best for you.

I do also know that some people (the ones I have met that are waiting or were waiting for transplant) have to keep their sats between 90-94 where others are kept above 95(such as myself). There are other extenuating circumstances, but I have NEVER been told that sats in the 70s was an okay thing to have. If I were you I would talk to my doc about it.

Please take care and talk to your doctor about the O2 therapy that THEY would recommend for you. You may not think you feel different NOW - but if you started using O2 you may notice a big difference in how you feel. I know I didn't think I felt much different before using O2, and once I started using it I felt so much better I was amazed.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

You may NOT feel a difference - or at least you may not think you feel a difference in the saturation levels, but your body does feel different.

Simple things like being tired more often, getting headaches, being cranky, being confused, unable to focus, clumsy and so on can all be indicators of low O2. Just because you may not feel an immediate difference when you desat below 90-91ish doesn't mean that your body isn't being damaged (as Mel mentioned). Every - EVERY - organ needs O2. The lower your O2 the harder those organs have to work.

For instance when I was listed for my transplant my O2 sats hovered around 88-92 when I was awake. When I slept I desatted into the 70s without O2. Being at THAT level my docs told me that if I did not use O2 full time that I ran the risk of needing a heart and lung transplant.

I know - trust me I KNOW - the resistance to using O2 and can fully appreciate it, but do not be naive and trust the word of untrained professionals (i.e. not your doc) if they are telling you that you are fine and do not need O2 until your sats are into the 70s. For that matter you do not even have to take our word here. Call your doctor and ask them they will tell you what is best for you.

I do also know that some people (the ones I have met that are waiting or were waiting for transplant) have to keep their sats between 90-94 where others are kept above 95(such as myself). There are other extenuating circumstances, but I have NEVER been told that sats in the 70s was an okay thing to have. If I were you I would talk to my doc about it.

Please take care and talk to your doctor about the O2 therapy that THEY would recommend for you. You may not think you feel different NOW - but if you started using O2 you may notice a big difference in how you feel. I know I didn't think I felt much different before using O2, and once I started using it I felt so much better I was amazed.

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Take Care,
Lindsey