QUestions about using the vest with a port?

rcq925

My daughter Hayley will be getting a port placed this afternoon. She has just been having a really rough time over the last six months and we have done IV's several times, this will just make things easier on her and after reading a lot of the posts hear for all of you, we have decided that the port is the best thing to do. I am wondering how she will do the vest with the port, especially when it accessed? How much is it going to hurt, right after having the procedure done? Are we better off doing manual CPT for a few days while the incision heals? What about once it is healed and she is accessed doing IV's? Will she still be able to do her vest? What about when she is not accessed, it is still going to be painful/uncomfortable for her to do the vest with the port?

ALso any helpful tips you can offer about the port itself would be great!

Thanks in advance!

rcq925

My daughter Hayley will be getting a port placed this afternoon. She has just been having a really rough time over the last six months and we have done IV's several times, this will just make things easier on her and after reading a lot of the posts hear for all of you, we have decided that the port is the best thing to do. I am wondering how she will do the vest with the port, especially when it accessed? How much is it going to hurt, right after having the procedure done? Are we better off doing manual CPT for a few days while the incision heals? What about once it is healed and she is accessed doing IV's? Will she still be able to do her vest? What about when she is not accessed, it is still going to be painful/uncomfortable for her to do the vest with the port?

Thanks in advance!

rcq925

Thanks in advance!

rcq925

Thanks in advance!

rcq925

<br />
<br />ALso any helpful tips you can offer about the port itself would be great!
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance!
<br />

pjspiegle

It should only take a couple of days after the surgery before going back to using the vest, depending on where the port is placed. If it is placed in one of her arms, then there would be no interruptions with the VEST at all. Nathan has one in his upper left side of his shoulder and he does the VEST all the time with it without any problems or issues at all. It was sore for the first couple of days and took a couple of weeks for him to get use to it and then he hasn't had any problems doing the VEST with it at all.
Oh, he does the VEST all the time when it is accessed as well with no problems. He only complained about it hurting for the first couple of days after surgery and now he never complains about it hurting.
Depending on how old Hayley is, I would recommend that you give her a pair of gloves to wear when you or someone else is accessing the port. We would have to re-clean things several times for Nathan because he would be curious about what we were doing and touch the area after prepping it. It did not take long for me to figure out that it was just easier to put a sterile glove on his right hand and teach him how to keep that one hand sterile so he could touch things if he wanted, plus it took the frustration out of it for both of us. After all, it is their body and they should be able to participate if they want to. Nathan would access the port himself if he could. He wants his next port in his arm so that he can access it himself with help. Though, he also has CFRD and gives himself his insulin shots all the time so for him this is not a big deal, however, he does still insist on emla cream for accessing the port.
Let us know how it goes for her today,

pjspiegle

It should only take a couple of days after the surgery before going back to using the vest, depending on where the port is placed. If it is placed in one of her arms, then there would be no interruptions with the VEST at all. Nathan has one in his upper left side of his shoulder and he does the VEST all the time with it without any problems or issues at all. It was sore for the first couple of days and took a couple of weeks for him to get use to it and then he hasn't had any problems doing the VEST with it at all.
Oh, he does the VEST all the time when it is accessed as well with no problems. He only complained about it hurting for the first couple of days after surgery and now he never complains about it hurting.
Depending on how old Hayley is, I would recommend that you give her a pair of gloves to wear when you or someone else is accessing the port. We would have to re-clean things several times for Nathan because he would be curious about what we were doing and touch the area after prepping it. It did not take long for me to figure out that it was just easier to put a sterile glove on his right hand and teach him how to keep that one hand sterile so he could touch things if he wanted, plus it took the frustration out of it for both of us. After all, it is their body and they should be able to participate if they want to. Nathan would access the port himself if he could. He wants his next port in his arm so that he can access it himself with help. Though, he also has CFRD and gives himself his insulin shots all the time so for him this is not a big deal, however, he does still insist on emla cream for accessing the port.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

<br />Oh, he does the VEST all the time when it is accessed as well with no problems. He only complained about it hurting for the first couple of days after surgery and now he never complains about it hurting.
<br />Depending on how old Hayley is, I would recommend that you give her a pair of gloves to wear when you or someone else is accessing the port. We would have to re-clean things several times for Nathan because he would be curious about what we were doing and touch the area after prepping it. It did not take long for me to figure out that it was just easier to put a sterile glove on his right hand and teach him how to keep that one hand sterile so he could touch things if he wanted, plus it took the frustration out of it for both of us. After all, it is their body and they should be able to participate if they want to. Nathan would access the port himself if he could. He wants his next port in his arm so that he can access it himself with help. Though, he also has CFRD and gives himself his insulin shots all the time so for him this is not a big deal, however, he does still insist on emla cream for accessing the port.
<br />Let us know how it goes for her today,
<br />