Questions for anyone who can help PLEASE!

M

Mommafirst

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mandamarie</b></i>

.....Also, what are the numbers for the sweat test that are negative, borderline and positive? </end quote></div>

I don't know how much sweat you need, but I do know that its very easy for an infant to fail to get enough sweat. My daughter had like 6 sweat tests and only got two good results. The breakdown is supposedly anything under 40 is negative, though I've seen arguments to lower that number to 30 or even 20. 40-60 is considered borderline or inconclusive. and over 60 is considered positive.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Which test shows if you are even a carrier of the CF gene? Because she said that she ordered for that to be done and also asked to have everything checked but she didn't realize that there were different ones. Thanks a million!!!!</end quote></div>

I think the carrier test either looks JUST for delta F508 or the basic 32 panel. I'm pretty sure that unless there is good cause that they don't run a full sequencing, deletions and duplications for carrier testing.

M

Mommafirst

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mandamarie</b></i>

.....Also, what are the numbers for the sweat test that are negative, borderline and positive? </end quote></div>

I don't know how much sweat you need, but I do know that its very easy for an infant to fail to get enough sweat. My daughter had like 6 sweat tests and only got two good results. The breakdown is supposedly anything under 40 is negative, though I've seen arguments to lower that number to 30 or even 20. 40-60 is considered borderline or inconclusive. and over 60 is considered positive.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Which test shows if you are even a carrier of the CF gene? Because she said that she ordered for that to be done and also asked to have everything checked but she didn't realize that there were different ones. Thanks a million!!!!</end quote></div>

I think the carrier test either looks JUST for delta F508 or the basic 32 panel. I'm pretty sure that unless there is good cause that they don't run a full sequencing, deletions and duplications for carrier testing.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

.....Also, what are the numbers for the sweat test that are negative, borderline and positive? </end quote>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Which test shows if you are even a carrier of the CF gene? Because she said that she ordered for that to be done and also asked to have everything checked but she didn't realize that there were different ones. Thanks a million!!!!</end quote>

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />.....Also, what are the numbers for the sweat test that are negative, borderline and positive? </end quote>
<br />
<br />I don't know how much sweat you need, but I do know that its very easy for an infant to fail to get enough sweat. My daughter had like 6 sweat tests and only got two good results. The breakdown is supposedly anything under 40 is negative, though I've seen arguments to lower that number to 30 or even 20. 40-60 is considered borderline or inconclusive. and over 60 is considered positive.
<br />
<br /> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> Which test shows if you are even a carrier of the CF gene? Because she said that she ordered for that to be done and also asked to have everything checked but she didn't realize that there were different ones. Thanks a million!!!!</end quote>
<br />
<br />I think the carrier test either looks JUST for delta F508 or the basic 32 panel. I'm pretty sure that unless there is good cause that they don't run a full sequencing, deletions and duplications for carrier testing.
<br />
<br />

Alyssa

read my blog for more details about sweat tests and results -- also know that many people are finding that they test "normal" but later find out they have two CF genes... keep pushing for results, and do ask how many genes they are testing for....if it is not complete (over 1500) and you do not get two genes, continue to ask for full testing....there are simply too many genes that are NOT tested for when they only screen for 97 or less.

Alyssa

read my blog for more details about sweat tests and results -- also know that many people are finding that they test "normal" but later find out they have two CF genes... keep pushing for results, and do ask how many genes they are testing for....if it is not complete (over 1500) and you do not get two genes, continue to ask for full testing....there are simply too many genes that are NOT tested for when they only screen for 97 or less.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

mandamarie

OK, everyone is talking about the test results being in the 20's 30's 40's and so on. Where in the report is the one solid number that sums it all up? I just recieved my sons test from 4 years ago and everything is broke down into Chloride Sodium and Potasium. And it also tells how much sweat was collected but the numbers on there don't help cuz I can't find the one number that you all are talking about! Also, when we get the report back, every gene they tested will be individually listed right? That way I will know how many and what ones so I could possibly push for more. Thanks again for all your help! You guys are making the waiting process much easier getting insight and info and what I should be doing and asking for. The DR that ordered the tests is actually his Immunologist so she isn't sure what all was being tested, but said that if when they come back if it isn't everything that I have found out about, she will gladly run rest of them for me! Which is a relief reading what some of you have gone through to get this all done!

mandamarie

OK, everyone is talking about the test results being in the 20's 30's 40's and so on. Where in the report is the one solid number that sums it all up? I just recieved my sons test from 4 years ago and everything is broke down into Chloride Sodium and Potasium. And it also tells how much sweat was collected but the numbers on there don't help cuz I can't find the one number that you all are talking about! Also, when we get the report back, every gene they tested will be individually listed right? That way I will know how many and what ones so I could possibly push for more. Thanks again for all your help! You guys are making the waiting process much easier getting insight and info and what I should be doing and asking for. The DR that ordered the tests is actually his Immunologist so she isn't sure what all was being tested, but said that if when they come back if it isn't everything that I have found out about, she will gladly run rest of them for me! Which is a relief reading what some of you have gone through to get this all done!

mandamarie

mandamarie

mandamarie